English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 10 April 2004, 09:38   #1
Deuteros

Configuration Change - Comments please.

Hi guys,

I have always preferred to keep my config files under the same directory that the actual application or game is in, I know this can be done by using "Load From...", but it don't show in the config-list , wouldn't it be simpler to create a SINGLE WinUAE.config (say an .INI) file under the WinUAE Root directory holding location of all the configuration (*.uae) files scattered around your HDD plus this INI file would also hold the comment.

Here's an example: (Note: the actual configuration file would not change in any way!)

----------------------------------------

WinUAE_CFG.INI
============

[ConfigCount]
Count=3

[ConfigList]
Config1 = Workbench 2.0
Config2 = Deuteros (I know, I love this game!!! )
Config3 = Shadow Of The Beast

[Workbench 2.0]
FileName = c:\winuae\HardDisks\Workbench2.0\wb20.uae
Description = Workbench 2.0

[Deuteros]
FileName = c:\winuae\FloppyDisks\Games\Deuteros\Deuteros.uae
Description = Classic Game

[Shadow Of The Beast]
FileName = c:\winuae\FloppyDisks\Games\Beast\Beast.uae
Description = Classic Game

------------------------------------------

The initial loading would also be quicker as only 1 file is loaded. As I said the original ?.uae file would not change plus it would be holding a copy of the Description incase it was unintendedly deleted within the .INI file. This would also provide an option to rename "Load From..." to "Import..." so that a ?.uae file could be imported, and would therefore automatically import it's description.

Now I'm not saying using an INI file is the most efficient method, but it was the best way to explain myself, any custom method would also suffice.

I'd do this myself but I don't have or intend (any time soon) getting MSVC. I don't think this would be to difficult to implement? But then again you "UAE developers" are probably overworked and underpaid .

Well what do you guys think? Or am I the only 1 with this slight irritation. I know I'm shooting for the stars, but hey this is a wishlist thread.

BTW, great Amiga Emulator, "use it every chance i get" .

Old 10 April 2004, 10:13   #2
Chuckles
The Ancient One

I'm no WinUAE developer (theres only one Toni), but I am a heavy user of config files, having some 1500 or so laying around. Quite honestly though, I actually think that scattering your config files all over the place causes more problems than its worth. If you use an ini file (or any other method I can think of) to basically give you a list of the configs to populate the list, then the problem becomes how do you insure that the list remains up to date? At first you might think that the answer would be that WinUAE would update the list each time you saved a config file, but that only does part of the job. If you copy a config file from one place to another, delete it, rename it, rename or delete the directory that it was in, download one from the web, etc. then the list of configs is now out of synch, with some configs not being listed and others pointing to the wrong place. If WinUAE had to go scan the contents of multiple directories to try to keep the list up to date whenever it was loaded, then the time spent doing this upon loading would be a lot more than what it currently takes to scan one directory (or in the upcoming release, one directory and its subdirectories). You see how this could complicate things? By putting all configurations in a common place, there is no list to get out of synch - it simply shows you the configs that are currently there.

I guess my question for you would be whether keeping the configs in the same directory as the disks actually brings you any real benefit or not? Other than being simply a matter of preference, the only benefit I can think of is that if you navigate to the folder with your disks in it, you can double click the config to launch the game. If you put all of your configs in a common configurations directory and then place shortcuts to each of them in the folders with the disks, then the shortcuts provide the same ability, and you get the added advantage of having the option to simply go to the configs directory and double click on any listed config to launch a game without needing to navigate to the folder for the specific game.
Old 10 April 2004, 10:49   #3
Deuteros

Chuckles, you laid out a valid argument - I hadn't realised people had so many config files (c'mon 1500???, you must be a real propellerhead ), anyway I personally wouldn't have a problem keeping track, but I do realise this is not about me, it's about the masses using WinUAE and arriving at common ground so that everyone can use it and enjoy it, that's why I asked for comments to see if my idea would help and cater for others.

I'm still not satisfied though, maybe a few more negative posts from others will cure that itch .