English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 29 October 2006, 21:23   #1
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Kaillera in Winuae 1.3.3?

Why have not the latest release of Winuae build in Kaillera engine?
Old 30 October 2006, 11:57   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I don't have any interest in Kaillera, sorry.
Old 03 April 2007, 23:45   #3
etnablog

Send a message via ICQ to etnablog Send a message via MSN to etnablog
It is a pity...

But..

Direct connection of two winuae (or, I hope, E-uae?).. It could be great!
Old 04 April 2007, 17:35   #4
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

i'd donate to see it happen

serial-serial linkup (as well as single comp. shared) over kaillera would be nice too!

actually..... sod kaillera, do what some other emu's do and have its own networkd linkup thingey... since kailleras a bit crap anyway.

ok Toni, i know i'm dreaming.... but you gotta let us live in hope!
Old 04 April 2007, 22:31   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

As I said, I am not interested in Kaillera. (don't even see the point why Kaillera is needed, why not just do direct support, it can't be too difficult?)

Anyway, the real problem is testing. "Solo" testing network systems is annoying and me being the "lone wolf" programming WinUAE isn't making it any easier

Perhaps some kind of bounty for Kaillera-like support would change my mind.

But first I need lots of technical information about Kaillera-like support. (Is there other emulators that have direct support? How do they do it? and so on..) Also it must be cross-platform!

WARNING: I HAVEN'T DONE ANY DECISIONS YET.
Old 04 April 2007, 23:42   #6
thor

Maybe someone with some time and network programming knowledge or interest in gaining some (CS student?) can help Toni in that case, so he can concentrate on more important/difficult things. WinUAE source is available and although there are very few comments/documentation in it, the non-core emulation parts should be understandable for most C programmers.

Some info may be found here (I haven't tested any):
Open Kaillera
FCE Ultra
VICE (experimental netplay support)
ZSNES (they are working on improving it, currently disabled)

Last edited by thor; 05 April 2007 at 00:02.
Old 05 April 2007, 01:36   #7
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

as may be known by a few, i am running a little website for playing miggy games with the last version of kaillera-winuae... we make-do but its not preferable in its current state tbh.

i would be more than willing to encourage the userbase to help with any form of testing that was needed, and have no doubt some of them would be game to help out IF you should chose to take on the task toni (i understand your indecision tbh) - i'm sure some "bounty" could even be raised if asked nicely

Although i am pretty experienced with winuae and real amiga usage, i admit my knowledge on "what actually goes on" with regards to link-ups is next-to-none, but am more than proficient with adjusting configs/HDFs etc to suit the needs of online-play, and would be happy to run it into the ground to help in ANY way! users of PSPUAE and a certain Mr. Girvin can vouch for my beta-testing experience!

whatever you chose in the end Toni, i'm sure-as grateful to even see you consider getting it off the ground.
Old 05 April 2007, 09:12   #8
etnablog

Send a message via ICQ to etnablog Send a message via MSN to etnablog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen
why not just do direct support, it can't be too difficult?
Do you mind to add this function in the next release? Great!

P.S: Toni Wilen: Can you help Wine's team to make Winuae working on linux with Wine?..
Old 05 April 2007, 11:20   #9
AmigaBoy

Please don't implement Kaillera. It's extremely buggy, clunky, and generally unpleasant. It causes constant timeouts and desyncs.

I'd love to see some decent networking in WinUAE. I'm not sure if there's any open source alternative that works on multiple platforms though.
Old 05 April 2007, 22:35   #10
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
As I said, I am not interested in Kaillera. (don't even see the point why Kaillera is needed, why not just do direct support, it can't be too difficult?)

Anyway, the real problem is testing. "Solo" testing network systems is annoying and me being the "lone wolf" programming WinUAE isn't making it any easier

But first I need lots of technical information about Kaillera-like support. (Is there other emulators that have direct support? How do they do it? and so on..) Also it must be cross-platform!

WARNING: I HAVEN'T DONE ANY DECISIONS YET.
I never liked Kaillera myself, but I did use couple different net-plays with emus. (but never with someone far away)

I tried ZSnes (at the time it worked) and it was great!!!

Select port to host netplay and then connect with other computer on the same port.

I would like to see something similar on WinUAE.
Old 22 May 2007, 10:34   #11
mihcael
Zone Friend

Quote:

Direct support.... Good Idea!
I would go some cash for the bounty too!

I think §ane would be the guy to talk to for technical information if he's still around!
Old 01 June 2007, 00:12   #12
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
Any updates ?
Old 01 June 2007, 01:42   #13
billy

Quote:
...why not just do direct support, it can't be too difficult?

"Solo" testing network systems is annoying and me being the "lone wolf" programming WinUAE isn't making it any easier
We use DirectPlay in our commercial app for all our network sharing shy of Radar. Link **Specifically we send serial data etc over the line [TCP] to other PC's

Count me in on the Testing Toni. Since this is a Windows app... DirectPlay is my vote.
Old 01 June 2007, 07:16   #14
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

No Directplay, built-in network play support (if it ever happens) must be cross-platform.

Problem isn't (relatively) easy part like network programming. Programming is easy

Problem is the theory part, questions like "what kind of data to transfer", "what kind of packets are needed", "how to keep lag minimum", "how much data you can transfer/frame without problems with slower connections".. must be answered first.
Old 13 June 2007, 17:01   #15
EmuChicken

cant you just rip someone elses code (from zsnes or another emulator like)? what about snes9x ? that was cross platform n stuff

uh, this is another vote for network play
Old 13 June 2007, 18:07   #16
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
Me voting
Old 18 June 2007, 20:32   #17
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmuChicken
cant you just rip someone elses code (from zsnes or another emulator like)? what about snes9x ? that was cross platform n stuff
It does not solve the support issue. There must be someone that understands the code and who can implement Amiga-specific features etc..

Someone needs to study the code first. Just taking some random black (ok, source is available so perhaps it is "grey" ) box and rewriting to UAE isn't going to work very well.

No, sorry, I am still not interested in Kaillera-like network play to "waste" my time studying it.
Old 18 June 2007, 22:21   #18
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Someone needs to study the code first. Just taking some random black (ok, source is available so perhaps it is "grey" ) box and rewriting to UAE isn't going to work very well.
kaillera doesnt work very well, but some of us still use that... hehe... i know it doesnt help, but i'm just saying...

Quote:
No, sorry, I am still not interested in Kaillera-like network play to "waste" my time studying it.
any other volenteers on-site? (have to ask!) it could set you up amongt the gods! or something.

just out of interest, would serial-port emulation via the net perhaps be an easier starting block?

/me shuffles himself out of throttling-distance
Old 26 August 2011, 20:33   #19
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Toni,

Is this still the case 4 years later?? Is a network feature ever planned??