English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 31 May 2007, 15:01   #1
hexaae
Bug hunter

uae-configuration Amiga tool is buggy

Have to report that uae-configuration Amiga tool is very buggy.
I have jit 8MB on. If I run 'uae-configuration cachesize 0' and then 'cachesize 8192' the system still goes visibily slower (e.g. when you open a big drawer window full of icons) and something has changed. I've also noticed that if I dump 'uae-configuration >ram:1' and after a few secs '>ram:2' 1 and 2 contents are different (e.g. compforcesettings and other comp_ parameters)...
Maybe this tool is too old to correctly handle WinUAE 1.4.2+ new config?

If I change manually from the GUI the jit option and other settings, WinUAE will work as expected and will be all right when I revert changes. When I revert changes with uae-configuration instead I find the system is not exactly as it was before.
Old 31 May 2007, 15:06   #2
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

This WHDLoad JIT off/on option isn't working properly for me too. But i read (can't remember which beta/version) that Toni fixed this issue.

Yes, you don't get the full JIT speed back, once you have disabled/enabled it during the emulation with WHDLoad, not only with 1.4.2. That's why i suggested you other settings for your start icon, do your remember?

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 31 May 2007 at 15:16.
Old 31 May 2007, 15:24   #3
hexaae
Bug hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd
This WHDLoad JIT off/on option isn't working properly for me too. But i read (can't remember which beta/version) that Toni fixed this issue.
so we'll have to wait for next beta or official release?

Quote:
Yes, you don't get the full JIT speed back, once you have disabled/enabled it during the emulation with WHDLoad, not only with 1.4.2. That's why i suggested you other settings for your start icon, do your remember?
Yes, but I don't like to restart WinUAE. I'll wait for the fix in this case... and keep on switching using the GUI after I pause the emaulation (Pause key on my keyboard)
Old 31 May 2007, 15:41   #4
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
in my case the loss of speed is atributed to the jit options.

by default I use After RTG (Just because i assume its best option for when rtg is used)

when the jit is turned back on (after a whd has been run with the uae config prog) its returned in the Indirect state which is slow(but i guess more compatible ?).

Id like it to stay on the option i set. is it configurable with the uae-conf prog ? I still havent seen a doc of supported commands. I can change manualy back to after rtg to get speed back, but id like to lose that step if possible
Old 31 May 2007, 16:44   #5
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexaae
so we'll have to wait for next beta or official release?

Yes, but I don't like to restart WinUAE. I'll wait for the fix in this case... and keep on switching using the GUI after I pause the emaulation (Pause key on my keyboard)
Why to restart? Use a 020 CPU, the immediate blitter AND Amiga 500 speed, with JIT enabled. This fixes the Addams Family and Andre Panza Kickboxing. A 68020 CPU with JIT enabled fast is enough to use a resource hungry system like O3.9 with RTG. There is no need for a 040 CPU in WinUAE, except for some 3D games.

But i highly recommend you to give it up. As Toni said before: You can't have both, a fast emulated amiga with the full WHDLoad games compatibility. Yes, you can fix a lot of them via toolypes, but is not worth the trouble.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 31 May 2007 at 16:56.
Old 31 May 2007, 17:50   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

uae-configuration is not the problem, problem is on the fly JIT switching.

Direct mode is not re-enabled when switching JIT on. (probably because forcing direct when direct is not possible = crash and on-the-fly adjustment wasn't very well implemented when JIT was implemented)

I added workaround to GUI (it "remembers" previous state) but I forgot about uae-configuration..

Will be fixed in next beta.
Old 31 May 2007, 17:55   #7
hexaae
Bug hunter

Yes, I now use 020 with FPU 882. I've learned that the parameters "Adjust speed betwenn CPU and CHIPSET" (or "Amiga 500" yahwn speed ) and "immediate blitter" are those to tweak to make any WHD game work fine...
Another bad-game is Elvira the Arcade: needs immediate blitter OFF to run without gfx glitches and CPU slowdown (adjust cpu & chipset slider or yes, A500 speed again) and so the majority of those few games that give problems

Thank you all again for your precious suggestions.
I would still find very useful a bug-fixed uae-configuration tool anyway.
Old 31 May 2007, 17:59   #8
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Yes, I now use 020 with FPU 882. I've learned that the parameters "Adjust speed betwenn CPU and CHIPSET" (or "Amiga 500" yahwn speed ) and "immediate blitter" are those to tweak to make any WHD game work fine...
I made intensive testings, ages ago. This settings fixes indeed the most glitches in WHDLoad games. But some games, like your mentioned Elvira Arcade, are hard to fix. Lionheart WHDLoad is another one, try it for yourself.

@Toni:

Thanks for the fixing this JIT on the fly issue with uae-configuration.
Old 31 May 2007, 19:12   #9
hexaae
Bug hunter

Quote:
I made intensive testings, ages ago. This settings fixes indeed the most glitches in WHDLoad games. But some games, like your mentioned Elvira Arcade, are hard to fix. Lionheart WHDLoad is another one, try it for yourself.
Lionheart WHD 2.1 works perfectly. 020, jit, adjust cpu&chipset: cpu 1, immediate blitter off.
Old 31 May 2007, 19:36   #10
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Lionheart WHD 2.1 works perfectly. 020, jit, adjust cpu&chipset: cpu 1, immediate blitter off.
I can't confirm this. But anyhow, i play the games on a real amiga. I use WinUAE mainly for installing and testing.