English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 22 November 2022, 16:25   #141
Weasel Fierce

I actually did play Rise of the Robots semi recently but Im gonna replay it in the desperate attempt to wring something out of that one. Good grief, what a letdown that was

I didn't have time last night but I can check off a couple recent plays:

Assassin
Recent play. The regular game has a lot going for it: Cool intro, nice graphics and if you want a Strider clone that is better than the arcade port, this does the job. The controls are fine but can feel a little slippery at times. The game is pretty hard, to the point that the special edition deleted the entire first level.
I actually completed this one as a teenager. 3/5

As far as which is better? Special edition probably flows better but I usually play the original when I feel like it, since thats the one I had back in the day. Try both.

Crazy Cars
Recent play. One I didn't play back in the day but tried out a few months ago. It plays fine but I had a hard time getting into it. The visuals are garish and makes it feel like the driver is in a drugged out haze. There is also not a lot here. I suppose its an early game but its hard to compare to feature-packed racers like Jaguar and Lotus 3.
2/5 but it might be a 5/5 if you are really into Creedence Clearwater
Old 22 November 2022, 17:01   #142
Weasel Fierce

As a favor, can someone take a look at the Lemon Amiga lists and figure out what titles are strictly PPC?

You can search for PPC on there I believe, but its not always clear whether a game is ONLY PPC or can run on 68k as well (Quake f.x. runs on an 060 too) so if any of you don't mind taking a few minutes that'd be really helpful.
Old 22 November 2022, 17:25   #143
kremiso

never liked the Team17 'special edition' method

i still prefer the original Assassin, despite much more harder;
instead of just adding a gun weapon at the main character in the s.e. release, they also make worse the main sprite, and cutted into short pieces the awesome big levels of the original;
plus, one less level (forest & caves)

about Project X (due you already played also that ), the special edition is surely better to be played, but having one disk less than the original, lack of the last (ok short) level + end sequence
Old 22 November 2022, 17:29   #144
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

What's not to like? You get a choice of which version you want to play.
Old 22 November 2022, 17:35   #145
kremiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
What's not to like? You get a choice of which version you want to play.
good point too
it's just... like if they say 'sorry if the game is too much hard, try the new fixed version'

and expecially in the Assassin case, the result was much worse imo
Old 22 November 2022, 18:00   #146
Weasel Fierce

It is kind of interesting: Project X and Assassin special editions were basically "new cuts" whereas Alien Breed SE was a brand new game (12 new levels instead of editing the 6 original ones).

I wonder if a better result would have been to not cut levels, but do more careful editing. If the goal is to make the game a bit easier, delete an enemy here and there, move a few enemies a bit, add the occasional extra power up, but basically keep all the levels intact otherwise.

Especially with Assassin, I feel like it wouldn't take THAT much tweaking to get the game into the "tough but reasonable" category.
Old 22 November 2022, 18:03   #147
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Well, to be a bit 'unromantic' here... it might just be a way to sell the same game (in the case of Project X and Assassin) with a few changes twice.
Old 22 November 2022, 23:43   #148
Megalomaniac

To me it always felt like Team 17 listening to criticism and making an effort to improve their games. Still, the fact that Alien Breed 92 was a whole new game that was definitely worth having if you had the original, whereas the Project X one was a minor to moderate improvement (unless you were a shoot 'em up god you would go further in the second version, and thus would see new stuff that was generally good. Incidentally I'm in the small minority who got as far in Project X as in the supposedly easier Apidya, not sure why.) and the Assassin one is debatable as to whether its better does suggest that they slacked off slightly once they had us hooked.
Old 23 November 2022, 16:31   #149
Weasel Fierce

Its a combo!

Super Cars
First play. This one always gets overlooked and its probably easy to see why. Its a good little racer on its own but it just doesnt have the features of the sequel which feels like "more and better".

Still, this one is worth having a go at and I enjoyed it a lot. 3/5

Super Cars 2
A classic in our circle when I was a teenager and still fun to this day. The gameplay is frustrating in a good way but when you get the flow of maneuvering the little toy cars its hilarious. The quizzes always felt like complete nonsense and we never could figure out how to not lose money. 4/5
(Also the Super Cars 2 menu music is legit so good I listen to it on its own)

Skipped:
Super Cars 2 AGA. Normally I play the AGA versions but this fan version came out fairly recently and I havent had time to check it out yet.
Old 23 November 2022, 17:10   #150
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel Fierce View Post
Skipped:
Super Cars 2 AGA. Normally I play the AGA versions but this fan version came out fairly recently and I havent had time to check it out yet.
* JOTD will remember that.
Old 23 November 2022, 18:16   #151
jotd
This cat is no more

The gameplay is the same. Cars aren't gray and static screens are 256 colors, which are the 2 main improvements.

But play it. like now. In NTSC mode. And give it 5/5
Old 23 November 2022, 20:34   #152
Weasel Fierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
The gameplay is the same. Cars aren't gray and static screens are 256 colors, which are the 2 main improvements.

But play it. like now. In NTSC mode. And give it 5/5
Oh is it yours? I will check it out tonight then and update the score
Old 23 November 2022, 20:51   #153
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Oh is it yours? I will check it out tonight then and update the score

DUH....

https://jotd.pagesperso-orange.fr/amiga.html
Old 23 November 2022, 21:27   #154
jotd
This cat is no more

more up to date with other ports: https://jotd666.itch.io/ (Sorry for the self-promotion)
Old 23 November 2022, 21:52   #155
Weasel Fierce

I am very smart and definitely notice things!

And no worries, its literally on topic
Old 24 November 2022, 10:21   #156
kremiso

Quote:
Its a combo!

Super Cars
Super Cars 2
i like both, maybe the first even a bit more, despite the worse gfx;
usually i don't go deep into in both, i like to play now and then the first league/cup, or the first two
(btw i have completed the second game)

i find relaxing both of them, played in this way;
or better, you can made errors, cause also cpu cars do the same

i don't know if i am the only one that instantly turn off the 'COMMUNICATION SCREENS' option in the second chapter
Old 24 November 2022, 10:52   #157
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Yeah me. Once you know the answers it almost feels like cheating so there is little point in keeping them on.
Old 24 November 2022, 17:22   #158
Weasel Fierce

Happy turkeyday!

Maybe some controversial opinions today!

Hybris
Replay. Really fun shooter with a good difficulty curve. Graphics are a bit static looking so I end up not booting this one up that often, but it's an enjoyable game for sure. 3/5

I know this one is highly regarded but I find that I usually want to play something different when Im in a shoot em up mood.

Street Fighter 2
Replay. Everyone rags on this one but I always enjoyed it and we played the hell out of it back in the day. There are better fighters on Amiga for sure but this is a solid 3/5 for me.
Comments on Lemon Amiga complain about 1 button controls but the menu has a 2 button option and that seems to work just fine.

REMINDER: PORT QUALITY IS NOT A FACTOR IN MY SCORING

Rick Dangerous
A game that is infuriating to play because it is the definition of cheap unfair deaths and is beatable only through memorization, but it manages to have an addictive quality that makes you want to figure it out just to see what cheap tricks the level designer has waiting for you. 3/5

As much as Ive played this one, it ought to have been a 4 but "flawed game I happen to really enjoy" is probably a good candidate for a 3.

Super Cars 2 AGA
Had a go real quick with the most recent version on the website and this is the optimal way to play the game I think. The changes are subtle and feel like they have always been there, if that makes sense.
Officially the newest game scored on the list 4/5
Old 24 November 2022, 18:22   #159
nivam

Oh Rick Dangerous... So addictive but frustrating!
Old 24 November 2022, 18:44   #160
Weasel Fierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivam View Post
Oh Rick Dangerous... So addictive but frustrating!
Thats why I was kind of conflicted. Theres a lot to make this a bad game but at the same time it is also extremely satisfying when you beat a section. It feels like a fight against the developer