English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 August 2006, 20:23   #1
Gavilan
Amiga user & abuser

Send a message via ICQ to Gavilan Send a message via MSN to Gavilan
corrupted partition

Hello people:
One of my partitions (HD1), has got corrupted, i dont know how or why, but it appears as "NON DOS DISK". Te filesystem used is FFS.
Is there a way to recover that partition and its contents? I have tried Disk Salv 4, but i dont know how to make that partition operative again. Is there a way to achieve this without loosing all the info i had on that partition?
The results with Disk Salv were not good: it didnt put the partition operational again (i dont know if this is the right program to achieve that). I tried undelete & unformat options, but that didnt gave me what i wanted.
I dont know why it shows as "non dos disk", since i didnt do anything strange. Is there a way to validate the partition again?
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Sebastian
Old 14 August 2006, 21:29   #2
poohbear

To stand the best chance of recovering data, I would suggest that you not write anything to the disk until you have made a copy. That includes running any programs that attempt to repair the disk automatically.

I would try to boot from floppy and perform a dump of the entire hard disk (to a single file) on a PC by your favourite networking method (serial, parallel, ethernet). Alternatively, place the drive into a PC running a UNIX variant and image the drive using "dd".

Once you have an image of the Amiga's disk on a PC, it should be (relatively) straightforward to determine where the partition in question lies, and, assuming that your file system is not too exotic, mount it in Linux to recover your files.

Unfortunately, I have only ever owned an A500 and never had an Amiga with hard drive, so I do not know how to image a hard disk with an Amiga. I am curious, in case anyone knows the answer! Is it possible for a program to open the hard disk device directly (along the lines of /dev/hda) and read it in its entirety?
Old 15 August 2006, 09:21   #3
zipper

It's dead easy - if you have written the RDB info down: start and end cylinder and block size + used filesystem. You just have to write it back. If nothing pops up, a QUICK format and then DiskSalv (under 4 GB, over 4 Gb DiskMonTools) gives back what's possible - if FFS has been used.
Old 15 August 2006, 15:57   #4
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

immma tihnking zipper has done that one before (a few times)
Old 15 August 2006, 19:10   #5
Gavilan
Amiga user & abuser

Send a message via ICQ to Gavilan Send a message via MSN to Gavilan
Well...thanks to your tips, i managed to recover the corrupted partition
an odd thing happened, tough: my wb startup isnt loaded when wb boots up, so my wb screen looks ugly!
How can i get the wb startup programs to be loaded again?
I cant remember if i have to call them from user-startup or from startup-sequence...
Any ideas on this?

thanks in advance
Sebastian
Old 15 August 2006, 20:10   #6
zipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0
immma tihnking zipper has done that one before (a few times)
Well, not anymore in about 8 years - since then I have at least one working backup HD (and in the cupboard a couple more..)
Old 04 April 2007, 14:40   #7
pbareges

unfortunately i "quick formatted" one of my critical FFS partition..
as i discovered it right after without performing any write operation to this partition and quickly launching disksalv unformat on it, can i safely say that i did not loose anything in the process ? thx to let me know, i'm really worried about this issue....
Old 04 April 2007, 16:07   #8
zipper

Everything is there as long as nothing has been written onto it.
Old 04 April 2007, 16:30   #9
pbareges

thank you very much...i feel way better!! i was also wondering...may it cause some previously deleted files to be "live" again ?
Old 04 April 2007, 18:43   #10
zipper

Yes, everything that's salvageable pops up.
Old 04 April 2007, 20:56   #11
Jope
-

I just recently salvaged some odd Syquest disks with Winuae + disksalv2 off aminet..

I cropped the filesystems into separate files from the disk images with winhex, mounted them as hdf and then applied disksalv's salvage option directly to the ndos partition.

I suggest always preferring salvage if you have enough room on your other disks, as fixing in place might ruin your data if the process fails for some reason.