English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 02 June 2006, 20:40   #1
keropi

Question how to replace from cli 060 libs with the 040 ones???

A friend of mine sent me his amiga HD so I can install for him os3.9 and all the nescessary drivers for g-rex. I thought he had a 060 BPPC too, so I normally installed the 060 libs, all drivers, both BB's, all working fine on my setup.
BUT now I understand that he has a 040 BPPC , and the os3.9 hangs on load... is there a way to fix the libs ??? I nees a step-by-step guide... so he can do it...
Old 02 June 2006, 23:04   #2
thomas

Well, obviously you did something wrong, because if you installed everyting correctly, the libs would work on all processors.

Now, given that he has a floppy disk with the right libs on, he can just enter

copy df0:libs/680#?.library libs:
Old 02 June 2006, 23:44   #3
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas
Well, obviously you did something wrong, because if you installed everyting correctly, the libs would work on all processors.
If Keropi only installed the libs for an 060 Phase 5 board (which includes only a dummy 040 lib), then it's no surprise that it won't work on his friend's 040 machine. If so, the only mistake he made was thinking his friend had an 060 machine. You obviously can't install real 060 and 040 libs simultaneously for Phase 5 boards because it looks for the dummy lib, which is named to look like a real lib to the Amiga [i.e. 060 machine -> 68060.library (real) + 68040.library (dummy) in SYS:libs].
Old 02 June 2006, 23:56   #4
Boot_WB
Novice in the Black Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong
You obviously can't install real 060 and 040 libs simultaneously for Phase 5 boards because it looks for the dummy lib, which is named to look like a real lib to the Amiga [i.e. 060 machine -> 68060.library (real) + 68040.library (dummy) in SYS:libs].
Yes, you can. There is a dummy library version which checks the cpu to see if it is 040 or 060, and redirects cpu calls accordingly.

In libs:

68040.library
68040.library.old
68040.library.new
68060.library

Or somesuch.

@Keropi

At CLI type:

Libs:
makedir temp
copy 680#? temp
delete 680#?

Reboot

Although there is no 68040.library present you should be able to get into workbench and copy the 68040.library from your OS3.9 cd (or wherever).

If you want to get back to the way you were

At CLI type:

Libs:temp
Copy 680#? libs:

Regards

Rich
Old 03 June 2006, 01:15   #5
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boot_WB
Yes, you can. There is a dummy library version which checks the cpu to see if it is 040 or 060, and redirects cpu calls accordingly.

In libs:

68040.library
68040.library.old
68040.library.new
68060.library

Or somesuch.
I was talking about installation from the Phase 5 driver disk. Using 040/060 libs from other sources is probably not wise. When installing from the Phase 5 disk, the dummy lib (600-700 bytes) is installed into SYS:libs and renamed to 680x0.library (and any existing real lib that the dummy replaces is renamed to 680x0.library.old IIRC). I checked it on the A4000 I'm sitting on before I posted. Unless the set-up for Blizzard 040/060 cards is different from the Cyberstorm cards, that's how it should go.
Old 03 June 2006, 01:34   #6
thomas

@DrBong:
This *is* the installation of Phase5 drivers. SetPatch always loads 68040.library, no matter which processor is on the board. So Phase5 wrote the dummy lib which recognizes the processor correctly and then loads the right library: 68060.library if it is a 68060, 68040new.library if it is a Phase5 68040 accelerator and 68040old.library if it is a Commodore 68040 card. So if you install all these libs correctly, the setup will work on any processor, even if you exchange the accelerator in the middle. Only if you keep away some libs because you think they are not needed, then the setup will not work on the wrong processor.
Old 03 June 2006, 08:50   #7
keropi

...I just used the libs install package from the unofficial g-rex site...
can't really understan if I did something else wrong, the bugger worked on my setup and I did rebooted it ~10 times, it was 100% operational on my amiga... could it be that my friend's bppc is not a rev2 one and thus it does not work with the g-rex? he just sees the cgx4 bootlogo, "the light my fire" image and nothing after that...
I am sure he will reply here to give more info
Old 03 June 2006, 10:27   #8
thomas

Let him connect a monitor or TV to the Amiga video connector. Perhaps something is wrong with the CD-ROM driver and there is a "cannot open xyz.device unit abc" requester or anything else which prevents the workbench screen to open on the gfx card accompanied by a "intuition wants to refresh the workbench screen, please close all windows except drawers" requester.

You can also let him boot without startup-sequence and enter the following commands:

set echo on
execute s:startup-sequence

then follow the output until it hangs. However, this becomes a real big mess when the gfx card driver is loaded and nothing is visible any more except black and white squares.

He might disable the CD-ROM driver by entering

rename devs/dosdrivers/cd#? storage/dosdrivers

or

rename devs/dosdrivers/emergency_cd#? storage/dosdrivers

depending on how you named the driver.
Old 04 June 2006, 15:25   #9
Boot_WB
Novice in the Black Arts

Also, you may want to ensure the following switches are set in your startup sequence:

Quiet after setpatch
>NIL: after bppcfix
quiet after loadide

Example:

C:Loadide START QUIET
C:BPPCFIX >NIL:
C:Setpatch SKIPROMUPDATES "scsi.device" QUIET

This prevents any output from the commands opening a CLI window which can interfere with the screenmode opening the CGX window correctly (iirc).

Good luck getting it working Keropi, you've got further than I did already, as my G-rex setup wouldn't even display ANYTHING through the Voodoo card.
Old 04 June 2006, 17:24   #10
keropi

dunno what to say, when I knew very little on amiga world (and still don't know much, I am inclined in the pc world since the 90's) the g-rex installation was not a problem, just shove it in, install the drivers and all worked fine, no sweat...
I suspect this is because my bppc is a DCE one, thus designed with the g-rex in mind... perhaps the p5 boards are not so compatible with that, I have heared about rev1 and rev2 bppc's...
Old 04 June 2006, 18:00   #11
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keropi
could it be that my friend's bppc is not a rev2 one and thus it does not work with the g-rex? he just sees the cgx4 bootlogo, "the light my fire" image and nothing after that...
That was my gut instinct when I first read your post.....that maybe your friend had some hardware with a different revision from you (i.e. BPPC card, G-Rex card, A1200 motherboard etc.). Had so many problems in the past setting up expanded A1200 tower systems because different revisions of hardware didn't like being combined together and would hang the system.

If the libs are all there as you said, then your friend should check that the BPPC is Rev. 2. If it's an older revision, then AFAIK there is no possibility that the G-Rex will work.

If the BPPC revision is ok, then he should check that he has flashed the BPPC bios with the latest firmware (needed for G-Rex use) and also the G-Rex with the latest V2.2 firmware. I'll assume you installed the relevant driver for his gfx card (i.e. Voodoo 3 etc.).

As Thomas has said, something opening up a requester is a possibility and a monitor/TV will quickly pick that up. Otherwise removing all internal boards/external hardware so that only an A1200 with BPPC and G-Rex/gfx card remains is another way to go. If that works, then adding one board at a time until the system hangs will identify the offending piece of hardware.

@Thomas
Well, no 68040new.library or 68040old.library in SYS:libs here and I know I used the Cyberstorm Mk2 installer disk when I upgraded this A4000/030 to 060. Weird if you and Boot_WB reckon they should be there. Must investigate.
Old 04 June 2006, 23:27   #12
keropi

yes ofcourse all the drivers are in place, I have a voodoo too... and I also told him who to connect the drives, 1st master: HD, 1st slace:cdrom ...
he will try all the things suggested here tommorow, MEGA THANKS ppl!