English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 22 April 2015, 22:21   #21
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supamax View Post
"was" ?

Isn't it any more (jailbroken)? If so, why?
I updated the firmware on it and there is no jailbreak available for it yet.
Old 04 May 2015, 07:19   #22
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
Windows 8 = LOL, ROTFL.

Was that comment comedy relief?
no comedy bro
try a tablet with windows 8 or a nokia phone with windows 8 and you will see what is good: best programs,best games,BEST EMULATORS, best web browsers, etc 99% of the windows programs runs there
Old 01 June 2022, 23:18   #23
yesplease

well now 7 years later there is indeed free unrestricted emulation possible on iPhone and iPad without jailbreak or sideloading ... this is particulary due to the fact that iPhone/iPads (like the other devices too, e.g. Android) supporting progressive web apps (PWA) which offer native app behaviour without being an app which has to pass all these app store rules ...

vAmigaWeb and vc64web running nicely on apple devices from 2015 onwards ...

do the following steps to properly install vAmigaWeb or vc64web as a PWA app to your homescreen (then it runs like a regular standalone app and not within safari)

1. go to https://vamigaweb.github.io/ or https://vc64web.github.io

2. put it to the home screen this will install the progressive web app (PWA)

3. when you launch it from home screen rather than from safari it will nearly behave like a native app thanks to PWA, i.e. offline capable and no annoying safari adress bar, navigation bar, gestures etc...

- for the vAmiga select any kickstart (1.x - 3.x) compatible with 68k CPU e.g. meant for A500/A1000/A2000 ...

- vc64web is connected to the CSDb which is nice to fire up demos without even downloading them to filesystem...
Old 02 June 2022, 06:54   #24
zx80

Tested it on my iPad from 2019, working great. Only the touch gestures for playing games like Blood Money needs some time to get used to. Two player games with touchpad only won‘t be possible/playable yet, but it is really fun to have an Amiga working on iPad without a need to jailbreak your device.
Old 02 June 2022, 09:37   #25
Pyromania

I’ll test this, it would be nice to finally run Amiga on iPhone/iPad too. Most ports of Amiga games are gone in the Apple App Store do to Apples strict curating of Apps the don’t follow latest APIs. No more Nicky Boom fun for example.
Old 02 June 2022, 11:42   #26
yesplease

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx80 View Post
Two player games with touchpad only won‘t be possible/playable yet.

this is possible too ... although I have to admid somewhat hidden ...

1. you can connect bluetooth gamecontrollers to your iPad/iPhone, and select it in port1/2 e.g. XBox Wireless BT controller

2. you can connect a bluetooth keyboard to your iPad/iPhone select "cursor keys (move) space (fire)" on one of the two Amiga ports

3. you can define some additional ActionButtons with the "+" symbol and customize your own onscreen joystick buttons for both ports, additionally you can add associate a keyboard key for each ActionButton and play together on one keyboard... port1 plays "wasd x" the port2 plays "cursor space"

Last edited by yesplease; 02 June 2022 at 12:08.
Old 02 June 2022, 15:55   #27
zx80

@yesplease: Cool. Will try to connect a bluetooth device then and try again. Getting better and better. Really impressed about vAmiga so far.
Old 02 June 2022, 16:50   #28
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

brr, this is starting to look like software alchemy. Progressive web apps are html, CSS, Javascript but apparently by throwing WebAssembly at it, they could make native C++ code deploy as a webapp anyway. Only time will tell if it will last longer than Java Applets did
Old 10 June 2022, 12:39   #29
yesplease

just updated vAmigaWeb app ... finally we hear drive click sounds for floppy and harddisk again on the iPhone / iPad

other features in the new release

* CPU overclocking up to 100Mhz (great for legendary titles like frontier/elite2 or fa-18 interceptor)

* PAL/NTSC hot switching (pixel ratio and 50/60 Hz chipset system speed)

* floppy drive and hard drive sounds and track display in the HUD

* completely reworked display sizes for overscan games like "the settlers"

there is a showcase site https://vamigaweb.github.io/doc/about.html
Old 10 June 2022, 17:41   #30
zx80

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesplease View Post
just updated vAmigaWeb app ... finally we hear drive click sounds for floppy and harddisk again on the iPhone / iPad
Ahh. Nice glas of a good red wine and just listen the Amiga Kickstart Disk click sounds on my iPad. Like it.
Old 10 June 2022, 23:41   #31
yesplease

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx80 View Post
Ahh. Nice glas of a good red wine and just listen the Amiga Kickstart Disk click sounds on my iPad. Like it.
when listening to the noise of the floppy drive in vAmigaWeb (especially when loading workbench) it felt like that the floppy drive needs urgently a bit of oil... especially when the drive steps many tracks in a very short period of time it made a loud noise ... virtually oiled it now ... did that by only allowing it to play max three drive head move sounds in parallel at the same time ...

sounds really good to me now, what do you think ?

Last edited by yesplease; 11 June 2022 at 07:19.
Old 17 July 2022, 00:40   #32
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesplease View Post
without being an app which has to pass all these app store rules ...
Great work! But it's so punishing for devs to work for The Corporation. Also, they are Omnipotent From Monopoly and that's why no Stores can be trusted...

I hope all goes well for this app and that The Almighty doesn't find it and annihilate competition (the real reason begind Monopoly Stores, even those based on outright piracy, like ITunes.)

If you're rich enough, you're above the law. Or at least rich enough to pay the fines from violating the law, as Apple (et al) are doing daily. It's a really shitty world for a dev writing an application these days.
Old 04 August 2022, 17:55   #33
yesplease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Great work!
thank you ... your compliments are appreciated

Quote:
But it's so punishing for devs to work for The Corporation. Also, they are Omnipotent From Monopoly and that's why no Stores can be trusted...
so true, development for the app store includes a mess of license, obeyance and rulez... very confusing, annoying and hindering

Quote:
I hope all goes well for this app and that The Almighty doesn't find it and annihilate competition
relax , annihilation will not happen ... because 1. no contract/rules or agreement has been signed 2.it is based exclusive on HTML5 web standards widely adopted by all modern mobile/desktop OS 3. not hosted in the app store but on github.io which belongs not to them. 4. if github.io says no then we say yes and simply change the web hoster

in fact PWA (progressive web app standard) introduced by the tech companies google/mozilla and adopted by all others does empower the scene and devs with the freedom and flexibility they really deserve.

just pushed out an updated app version ...

+ supports parallel installation of different versions of vAmigaCore
older snapshots can now be run by simply switching back to an older installed version of vAmigaCore

+ updated to latest vAmigaCore version v2.1.beta5

+ supports ECS denise (SuperHires modes)

+ improved memory managment ... support for hdfs with a size of up to 256Mb
e.g. just installed classicwb 68k on my iPad

+ introduced df0/dh0 eject buttons

+ fixed a severe bug where after 10 Minutes or so vAmigaWeb stopped accepting any adf or hdf file

Last edited by yesplease; 04 August 2022 at 22:07.