English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 27 March 2021, 16:18   #1
hitm4n

SD Card HardDrive from AmigaKit

Long shot, but if you bought one of these with a preinstalled SDCard, then please read on.

I've already emailed AmigaKit and i'm awaiting response, not sure how well i am going to do there though.

I bought their SD Card / Harddrive replacement doodad. It came preinstalled with DOPUS, some other stuff and a workbench installer. I installed what i thought was my clean original workbench disks, but they screwed it and i've since found they were slightly modified (by me, 25 years ago, how was i meant to remember!!). Now it won't boot from the sdcardharddrive, i get all sorts of atapi / cd / and drive checksum problems. The modifications were files to support my cdrom drive, possibly some updated libs or datatypes. probably a diff atapi.sys or cdfs files... Its too long ago to remember.

I have got my Goex drive now, installed it and its great. 2000 ADFs in the drive at once - lol. I've been able to modify the startupsequence on the sdcard from amigakit to force a reinstall of workbench (over the top) and i hoped using a clean set of workbench disks would solve it. I've tried wb3.0 and wb3.1 disks, all clean from Tosec. All the cd issues are gone, but i still get a checksum error for HDD2 and it still won't boot. It loads so far and gets stuck on the clock icon.

However, if i load a custom utilities disk, or a clean workbench ADF based disk instead, i can read that HDD2 partition no problem. I even copied a hdrive icon to it as there was no disk.info file and it came up looking like a floppy. So i don't think there is any issue with the SDCard or the partitions, i believe the issue is the workbench installation is loading something that workbench doesn't like. A lib, a datatype, something in c:, i've really no idea and i'm not knowledgable enough to figure out what it is...

So what i'm hoping for here, has anyone got a backup of the default setup these SDCards came with? Or a zip of the contents of the sys: partition that i can dump on it. HDD1 (dopus, idefix++) and HDD2 (empty) seem fine, i don't need anything from those partitions, all i want to do is use the AmigaKit workbench installer successfully.

If i can figure out what to delete or totally replace the sys: files and start over i'll be fine i think.

Anyone?
Cheers.
Old 27 March 2021, 17:28   #2
hitm4n

Fixed it. Disabled the loading of IDEFix by renaming the file. Don't know if this was part of my failed install, or if AmigaKit came with a different version of this file originally, but it seemed like an official part of the startup.sequence from AmigaKit so didn't think it was the issue.

Renamed it to "REN.IDEFix" so it can't be found by the startup and now workbench boots properly.

Phew. Now i can finally change resolution and install some shizzle.
All this so i can sell the damn thing.
Old 26 May 2021, 20:52   #3
OldAmigan
Professional old fart!

Interesting.

I also bought an SD card. Mine had WB3.1 preloaded and HDD2 (Work) had a copy of the 3.1 .adf's and Dopus.

I had my own copy of IDEFix97 and I had problems after loading it.

Unfortunately, unlike you, I didn't think of disabling the loading of it and ended up completely borking the installation.

I managed to reformat to FAT32, then formatted it again with FFS using AmigaForever, transferred it back to my A1200 and installed OS3.1.4.1 on it.
Old 27 May 2021, 00:11   #4
kriz

Seems like backing it up is the first step needed But if you email him and tell this you surely must get a image file ?