English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 24 November 2013, 15:49   #21
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500 View Post
Yes! That fixed it.
Thanks for testing (I hope to get confirmation from one of the others who has reported the problem here too... ?)

Quote:
Edit: Oh wait... I was only checking for graphical corruption and there is none - but mouse movement is totally screwed up. You can't move the pointer past certain spots and those boundaries keep changing.
Well, I warned about issues didn't I? I'll release an updated build when I have fixed the remaining SDL2 issues!
Old 24 November 2013, 21:00   #22
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

This one should be in pretty good shape I think: http://fs-uae.net/devel/2.3.9dev7/

(Please report any problems you find with the SDL2 version )
Old 24 November 2013, 22:00   #23
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

You can move the pointer everywhere now, but it's very loose and there's a lag. It's not very precise. It makes me queasy - feels as if trying to move the mouse while drunk. (and I'm not drunk at the moment)
Old 24 November 2013, 23:55   #24
robc

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
This one should be in pretty good shape I think: http://fs-uae.net/devel/2.3.9dev7/

(Please report any problems you find with the SDL2 version )
Okay. This is rather strange. For me, the d5 release you posted works great! It goes into full screen properly, and if there is mouse lag, I'm not feeling it (but I'm only just using the Mac trackpad for testing - and not my normal desk setup) - but it could be down to me using a PAL Hires mode with my Classic WB setup I'm testing with.

But, when I switch over to the d7 one - I'm getting the screen issues again. This release didn't seem to generate log files, but I've put screens up again (here).

Shall try & do some more testing - but it's definitely strange to see that style of regression happen. Hopefully it's just something else though…
Old 25 November 2013, 00:09   #25
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
You can move the pointer everywhere now, but it's very loose and there's a lag. It's not very precise. It makes me queasy - feels as if trying to move the mouse while drunk. (and I'm not drunk at the moment)
Can you try to switch to a non-Retina display mode on the Mac and see if the mouse feels better? (In case there is some HiDPI-mouse-scaling involved here...). And another thing, if you run version 2.3.9dev (the old one, before SDL2 support - with screen issues), is the mouse OK then? (What I am trying to figure out here is if this has something to do with SDL vs SDL2, or if it is something else).

As a "workaround", you should be able to use the new/specific mouse devices instead of "Mouse", they are generally better too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc View Post
Okay. This is rather strange. For me, the d5 release you posted works great! It goes into full screen properly, and if there is mouse lag, I'm not feeling it (but I'm only just using the Mac trackpad for testing - and not my normal desk setup) - but it could be down to me using a PAL Hires mode with my Classic WB setup I'm testing with.

But, when I switch over to the d7 one - I'm getting the screen issues again. This release didn't seem to generate log files, but I've put screens up again (here).

Shall try & do some more testing - but it's definitely strange to see that style of regression happen. Hopefully it's just something else though…
One difference between dev5 and dev7 is that the former used SDL_FULLSCREEN_DESKTOP while dev7 use normal SDL_FULLSCREEN again. It is a bit strange if you see a difference here, but mr_a500 does not.

On the other hand, you had a setup which sounded weird to me, with a 2x scaling between normal/hidpi and then a final scale at the end? ("Screenwise, I've got my Mac set up for a effective resolution of 1680x1050, which means it's drawing into a 3360x2100 image, then scaling that down to the panel's native 2880x1800"). Is this an built-in feature of OS X or a custom hack?

Please try to use the advanced option (in combination with starting FS-UAE in fullscreen):
Code:
fullscreen_mode = desktop
(fullscreen_mode has now three modes: fullscreen, desktop and window -- if you have time, please test all three and report back the findings).
Old 25 November 2013, 01:25   #26
robc

Quote:
On the other hand, you had a setup which sounded weird to me, with a 2x scaling between normal/hidpi and then a final scale at the end? ("Screenwise, I've got my Mac set up for a effective resolution of 1680x1050, which means it's drawing into a 3360x2100 image, then scaling that down to the panel's native 2880x1800"). Is this an built-in feature of OS X or a custom hack?

Please try to use the advanced option (in combination with starting FS-UAE in fullscreen):
Code:
fullscreen_mode = desktop
(fullscreen_mode has now three modes: fullscreen, desktop and window -- if you have time, please test all three and report back the findings).
That resolution setting is built into OSX - it basically lets you pick an effective resolution from a choice of 5, with the default being a straight double up.

I had a quick play with the 3 options - and with fullscreen, I get the problem (as you highlighted). Desktop works great, and Window does as well - although the top of the UI (when you press F12) gets partially cut off by OSX's menu bar.

I wonder if I should be taking a look at playing around with the viewport field in the configuration file if I'm going to use Fullscreen? (Otherwise, I'll leave it in Desktop which works perfectly fine for me)
Old 25 November 2013, 09:49   #27
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
Can you try to switch to a non-Retina display mode on the Mac and see if the mouse feels better? (In case there is some HiDPI-mouse-scaling involved here...). And another thing, if you run version 2.3.9dev (the old one, before SDL2 support - with screen issues), is the mouse OK then? (What I am trying to figure out here is if this has something to do with SDL vs SDL2, or if it is something else).
Yes, when starting non-scaled 2880x1800 the mouse seems fine. It's probably automatic mouse scaling. In the older pre-SDL2, this doesn't happen in HiDPI mode. It's definitely only in the SDL2.

Quote:
As a "workaround", you should be able to use the new/specific mouse devices instead of "Mouse", they are generally better too!
I know nothing of these new/specific mouse devices, of which you speak. Can you further explain?
Old 25 November 2013, 17:09   #28
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

@mr_a500 it's a relatively new feature , see: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=66416&page=14
and http://fs-uae.net/mouse-input
Old 25 November 2013, 17:50   #29
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

So you switch using the F12 menu? I saw both Mouse and "PS/2 to USB Converter" (my attached trackball) and I switched to the PS/2, but mouse movement doesn't improve much. It's still "drunken". I had to make three attempts to select an Amiga menu item. (..and no, I'm still not drunk )
Old 26 November 2013, 19:39   #30
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

@mr_a500 the "specific mouse device" (PS/2 to USB Converter in your case) uses code different from the normal Mouse device (=system cursor), and I wouldn't expect display scaling to affect this one at least...

Perhaps the Retina scaling causes some performance problems, so what you perceive as input lag is infact video lag? Can you try Ctrl+F10 and see if the graphs there look fine (i.e. you get a stable 50 fps for EMU, and stable 50 or 60 fps for SYS depending on your refresh rate). You can also try with video_sync = off and see if that helps?
Old 27 November 2013, 14:07   #31
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

With Ctrl+F10, I get a stable 60 for EMU and (an eventually stable) 30 for SYS. In native (non-retina) 2880x1800, I get stable 60 for EMU and 60 for SYS. With video sync off, retina mode is the same - so it looks like you're right. (...and I was all ready to prove you wrong )

I guess I'll just turn video sync off for now.
Old 27 November 2013, 14:11   #32
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
(...and I was all ready to prove you wrong
Hehe, sorry, but I am occasionally wrong too

Quote:
I guess I'll just turn video sync off for now.
Another thing you can try is to change the video-sync-method (there's a GUI selector for it in FS-UAE Launcher). I have implemented several methods, because there has not been a single one which has worked perfectly on all combinations of OS/driver/GPUs. Depending on what the real problem actually is, one of the other sync methods could work for you...