English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 08 August 2021, 00:14   #501
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmimmfn View Post
I would much prefer to play a game that near maximizes the hardware

Yeah, me too. A new one, not an old, widely available chestnut.

It's different for other porting projects with reasonable resource and time-frame scale, but here it seems like a truly huge undertaking+licensing issues, and so most likely nothing will happen, perhaps even with the tech itself.

Anyway, I'm not a dev, so I'll leave it at that. Just find it odd is all.
Old 08 August 2021, 01:32   #502
lmimmfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post

It's different for other porting projects with reasonable resource and time-frame scale, but here it seems like a truly huge undertaking+licensing issues, and so most likely nothing will happen, perhaps even with the tech itself.

Correct me if im wrong but youre saying you prefer original Amiga games to Arcade ports? Assuming thats the case its easier for 1 person to port an arcade game as the audio and visual assets are available, of course it may need an extra person to reduce the arcade audio to an Amiga protracker or equivalent audio format.

In regards SF2, the problem is the arcade state machine and porting.
Old 08 August 2021, 02:50   #503
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmimmfn View Post
Correct me if im wrong but youre saying you prefer original Amiga games to Arcade ports? Assuming thats the case its easier for 1 person to port an arcade game as the audio and visual assets are available, of course it may need an extra person to reduce the arcade audio to an Amiga protracker or equivalent audio format.
Indeed, making a completely original game (with the same complexity and art style as SF2) would require an unimaginable amount of extra work.

But making a port for this game ain't easy either and would require some serious dedication to get it done. It's not just the code. As Dennis showcased in the video you also need a dedicated artist to take care of the gfx conversions (including crop, resizing and color management), prepare the character frames, prepare the background and level parts, decide on palettes, prepare stuff for copperising, e.t.c. e.t.c. Not to mention the extra retouching that also needs to be done. That's almost as work intensive as coding would be with such a title. And pretty much the same applies to the music as well. That is, if you're keen on pushing for a prime quality port of course.

So given the high toll (remember, we're talking about the most complex and ambitious modern port ever attempted for Amiga, just because the game in question is SF2 and it's a beast to begin with), plus given the fact it is a very alive, known and active IP (so there are serious licencing dangers involved), it begs the question if all this effort would be better served on an original title instead (whatever this may be).

Having said the above, I would personally be thrilled to see someone attempting this task (and succeeding obviously) but I can also totally understand the fundamental reality behind such an undertaking. Hats off to anyone brave enough to embark and getting it done
Old 08 August 2021, 03:10   #504
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
Indeed, making a completely original game (with the same complexity and art style as SF2) would require an unimaginable amount of extra work.

But making a port for this game ain't easy either and would require some serious dedication to get it done. It's not just the code. As Dennis showcased in the video you also need a dedicated artist to take care of the gfx conversions (including crop, resizing and color management), prepare the character frames, prepare the background and level parts, decide on palettes, prepare stuff for copperising, e.t.c. e.t.c. Not to mention the extra retouching that also needs to be done. That's almost as work intensive as coding would be with such a title. And pretty much the same applies to the music as well. That is, if you're keen on pushing for a prime quality port of course.

So given the high toll (remember, we're talking about the most complex and ambitious modern port ever attempted for Amiga, just because the game in question is SF2 and it's a beast to begin with), plus given the fact it is a very alive, known and active IP (so there are serious licencing dangers involved), it begs the question if all this effort would be better served on an original title instead (whatever this may be).

Having said the above, I would personally be thrilled to see someone attempting this task (and succeeding obviously) but I can also totally understand the fundamental reality behind such an undertaking. Hats off to anyone brave enough to embark and getting it done
SF2 IP has been licensed for coding and porting on Amiga. Redoing properly the game would be just great
Old 08 August 2021, 03:45   #505
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post

I actually would prefer both, arcade ports that did suck remade properly AND new software, but right now both are going to be tough as is time consuming plus little to no ROI, is mostly for the glory
Old 08 August 2021, 10:27   #506
neoman
titan sucks!

Dennis and me came to the conclusion that its nearly impossible to recreate the flair and playability of the original game without having the exact gameplay, movements, "physics".

I read about the X68000 version here, was it as playable as the arcade version and could it be a better target for reversing than the CPS version? I don't know the X68000 specs but if its a bit closer to what we need than the Arcade Version we can think about it again....

Still it might be good to have more 68k/reversing experts for that. We're still searching :-)
Old 08 August 2021, 12:30   #507
d4rk3lf

Isn't the Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers, somewhat descent port? Even on OCS
If we ignore the graphics, of course... but playability seems waay better then any other version.

[ Show youtube player ]

The easiest way would be probably hacking this graphics and change it.
Or if someone could dig source code - even better

But I am not sure if "hacking" is possible at all.
Old 08 August 2021, 13:50   #508
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoman View Post
Dennis and me came to the conclusion that its nearly impossible to recreate the flair and playability of the original game without having the exact gameplay, movements, "physics".
This is exactly the point. Such complex games must have their source code modified for the target machine, but keep the game logic to be faithfull.

Quote:
I read about the X68000 version here, was it as playable as the arcade version and could it be a better target for reversing than the CPS version? I don't know the X68000 specs but if its a bit closer to what we need than the Arcade Version we can think about it again....
I can answer on that question. I have 2 different releases of SF2' on X68000 in original, and also SSF2 all in original.

The X68000 SF2' version has been assembled with the arcade CPS1 source code latest version. Capcom did the same for Final Fight X68000. This one has been assembled from the japan CPS1 source code 900613 (it's written inside the x68000 executable).

The x68000 SF2' version could be indeed a possibility for porting. A good one too because the game is in files. I can zip the files from the disks if you want

Quote:
Still it might be good to have more 68k/reversing experts for that. We're still searching :-)
Yes
Old 08 August 2021, 16:16   #509
neoman
titan sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
The x68000 SF2' version could be indeed a possibility for porting. A good one too because the game is in files. I can zip the files from the disks if you want
Wow cool that would be nice and helpful. Send them to me as PM please :-) I'm capable of reversing, not a pro though. but let's see how much I can find out.

Thanks!
Old 08 August 2021, 19:39   #510
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoman View Post
Wow cool that would be nice and helpful. Send them to me as PM please :-) I'm capable of reversing, not a pro though. but let's see how much I can find out.

Thanks!
Ok let's zip that
Old 09 August 2021, 03:57   #511
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I know its a big ask but could any clever person change the values in SSF2 so bigger sprites and background graphics can be inserted, that way you get around any copyright issues you already have the ai and gameplay.

I know they based the game on the snes version not saying they ripped the ai directly probably more tried to simulate it but its pretty spot on.
Old 09 August 2021, 06:37   #512
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Can this link come out handy for both AGA and OCS/ECS version?
SF2PLATINUM
Old 09 August 2021, 09:54   #513
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Can this link come out handy for both AGA and OCS/ECS version?
SF2PLATINUM
the guy gave nothing, "i'm afraid of getting sued, blabla".
Old 09 August 2021, 17:38   #514
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
the guy gave nothing, "i'm afraid of getting sued, blabla".
Well at least not publicly, plus was an amigan too - we go for the tears route? 9.9
Old 10 August 2021, 01:04   #515
Retro1234
Phone Homer

That is a pretty good blog and that and this thread tells us why a excellent port was never released.
Now days it is a lot easier to reverse engineer stuff than it ever was back then and the skill and time and money that would of been required was beyond anything anyone was going to commit to.