English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 31 December 2004, 18:18   #1
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Who hides behind the handle "Source / The Source"?

Due to the efforts of my team mate DrBong, we now know who was hiding over 15 years between this cryptic ZZKJ handle. (=> wrote the racing classic 'Super Hang-On' in 1988)
Let's stay with this game for a while.
Does anyone have a clue who The Source is?

I still love his "Winning Run" title tune that he did for SHO.
*Apparently* he was also strongly involved in Predator, see here
(while it is not sure that it really refers to the very same "Source" that did the music for SHO).
Old 31 December 2004, 19:00   #2
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas
Due to the efforts of my team mate DrBong, we now know who was hiding over 15 years between this cryptic ZZKJ handle. (=> wrote the racing classic 'Super Hang-On' in 1988)).
Who was, then? I lost this.
Old 31 December 2004, 20:18   #3
andreas
Zone Friend

Sorry, but I must go into instruction mode for a second.
You sometimes tend to shout at people who ask obvious things that could be looked up in FAQs. (sometimes without any right, sometimes even with right)
If DrBong has found out who's behind, he can only have entered/corrected it in one place, can't he?
YEEEEAH! Incredibly, it's really the game's HOL entry! Shock & horror!
Old 31 December 2004, 20:22   #4
Jim

Quote:
....this cryptic ZZKJ handle....
Wasn't exactly cryptic, just the guys initials.

Cryptic would be me calling myself something like ZJJAJAJA

Old 31 December 2004, 21:00   #5
andreas
Zone Friend

As I've found out (and written into HOL), the 'ZZKJ' character really exists in literature: it is taken from a 1953 Alfred Bester novel called "The Demolished Man".
So I strongly believe the man was called a mere Zareh Johannes.
Because it fit by coincidence, he crammed the 'ZK' in the middle and adopted the name that, also by coincidence, was identical to that character in the novel.
Talk about Michael J. Fox whose 'J' middle initial was just by pure invention!

BTW: I now have a 100% proof that this 'SAUL' who did the graphics for SHO is indeed Saul Marchese! Look at this reprint of the Afterburner manual! Saul Marchese from FOCUS Ltd. And what does the ingame text in SHO say? Yep, Graphics by FOCUS. Strike!

Last edited by andreas; 31 December 2004 at 21:15.
Old 31 December 2004, 22:10   #6
Amiga1992

Quote:
Sorry, but I must go into instruction mode for a second.
You sometimes tend to shout at people who ask obvious things that could be looked up in FAQs.
It is not obvious that he filled the HOL with this data, however I assume not looking at it because I didnt even read the name "super hang on".

By the way it is nice to see that you are filling up the HOL with data YOU THINK is correct. So much for accuracy. Shock horror! It's just me being as always!

Adieu.
Old 01 January 2005, 02:32   #7
andreas
Zone Friend

I've had it!

Quote:
By the way it is nice to see that you are filling up the HOL with data YOU THINK is correct. So much for accuracy.
Oh come on! What a fucking pile of nonsense!
How can you assert such things? Are you too drunk today or what?
Or do you just want to provoke people again (the only thing you can really do perfectly, Kodoichi is a fucking amateur against your "skills" to make people get worked up! You win my personal Gold Medal for this perfect efforts!)

There is *no* such thing like "editing because I think it could be correct", at least not anymore!

1) Almost everything of my mass-entry-campaign in the last few days comes from my pile of game mags that I found.

2) You could clearly read above that, for example, this inserting of 'ZK' into Mr Johannes' name was just an *assumption*of mine, and hence I did NOT write this into HOL! I did change the 'Saul' entry, because I found a reprint of the original manual of another game featuring the same developing sub-team!
So no "thinking" but R-E-S-E-A-R-C-H.
You are going to allow me this kind of research, I hope, Sir Akira?

Well, somehow you fucking love to argue with people until it emerges to a kind of knifing; just by accusing them of things they never intended to do!
And even without the SLIGHTEST proof: just out of the blue!
If a HOL team member told me that, I would indeed admit some things if need be (because this guy has some insight as he has access to the admin area). But you haven't, but pretend as if you had!

Ah. You didn't even read the name Super Hang-On? Although I wrote it clearly in my first post? Bad luck. YOUR bad luck.
Didn't I tell you many times in the past that it was silly to close a thread because you did not read the thread *properly* but just hastily closed it because you *assumed* (ah!) that it was the known "everyday newbie request"?
That I even had to write you a *PM* to be so kind (!!!) to re-open the thread?

3) I herewith declare: if you come into the HOL team any day, I'm definitely outta there. I could not bear that kind of consorting with people, unless YOU change. But it seems that you think you're always right the way you act to consort with people. Strangely though, I have seen lots of almost-flame-wars on EAB recently with your statements included.

Nothing against you personally (yet), but you really make it very difficult for me to stay on the same shore with you, Akira!
I now expect you to go back on that statement you just made about me (the quoted one). Otherwise, you will get /ignore. Forever.

Last edited by andreas; 01 January 2005 at 02:57.
Old 01 January 2005, 17:20   #8
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
As I've found out (and written into HOL), the 'ZZKJ' character really exists in literature: it is taken from a 1953 Alfred Bester novel called "The Demolished Man".
So I strongly believe the man was called a mere Zareh Johannes.
Because it fit by coincidence, he crammed the 'ZK' in the middle and adopted the name that, also by coincidence, was identical to that character in the novel.
Talk about Michael J. Fox whose 'J' middle initial was just by pure invention!
Erm, I've always dealt in facts with info. I've entered into HOL and I've made no exception with the identity of ZZKJ. AFAIK the initials are based on the programmer's real name and are *not* taken from any novel (which incidentally was merely an observation made by a reader in a letter sent to Your Sinclair in '86). As evidenced by the link, Z.K. are, indeed, the real middle initials of Zareh Johannes (aka ZZKJ).

@Akira, Andreas: I'd hate to see anymore flaming here, so please don't (take it up in PM if you must).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Wasn't exactly cryptic, just the guys initials.
ZZKJ actually went to some length to conceal his real name and made it a point of requesting it not be revealed in the Amiga mags he talked to. It might not be cryptic now that the mystery has been solved, but would you have guessed before that the 4 letter acronym represented his real name? Not me!!
Old 01 January 2005, 18:31   #9
andreas
Zone Friend

@DrBong:
OK, you've got a point here: back to facts.-
Who could be the one that converted Hayashi's music for the Amiga in SHO, calling himself "Source"? (Or maybe some musician *working* for the developing company called "Source"?)
I've thought about all and sundry already, but there wasn't the slightest idea of a name that could spring into mind ...
I was even thinking of David Whittaker for awhile, simply because some of the keyboards' sounds are pretty similar to the ones used in "Golden Axe".

Well, at least the SAUL = Saul Marchese bit has been proven and settled now, which wasn't that easy, either.
Old 01 January 2005, 20:43   #10
Amiga1992

Fair enough andreas, I don't have the will nor time to get into your ridiculous sissy fight. You get worked up with NOTHING.

Please notice that you started having a go at me, and notice all the ammount of abuse you write in your lengthy message, which I am ignoring because as I said I can't be arsed to get into it, it's worthless.

I told you before as well, that you need to lighten up. I take back whatever stupid shit I wrote in response to your attack.

Happy New Year
Old 01 January 2005, 21:02   #11
andreas
Zone Friend

Quote:
and notice all the ammount of abuse you write in your lengthy message
The reason is simple: it was the straw that broke the camel's back.
I had swallowed a lot of your reactions in the past (also towards other users) without commenting anything, but this time the waters of patience have spilled over the brim ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
I told you before as well, that you need to lighten up. I take back whatever stupid shit I wrote in response to your attack.
Accepted.

Indeed, I did start having a go at you, but it was based on facts.
(= Many people new to EAB could easily confirm that you had treated them like complete idiots multiple times, thus offending their sensibilities - and I *cannot* endorse that. Sorry.)

Whereas ... the stuff you wrote about what I allegedly do in HOL can only be written by someone who has insight in the admin area. You do not have that insight, hence you cannot judge about how I allegedly "fill up HOL with data I think that is correct". That's a sort of brazenness I will *not* stomach, and THAT is the reason why I overreacted.
One part of the SHO notes has already been removed by DrBong, he gave good reasons for it, and I nodded. THAT is team work. The other 2 of the parts recently added by *ME* (!) were left by him, so they must be based on good facts eh?!
Otherwise he would have removed them as well.

But since they're a result of research, your accusation has proven false.

OK - things settled.
Old 01 January 2005, 21:59   #12
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

I am going to weigh in here. Andreas, you have problems. Mental ones.
Illustrated beautifully by you agaonizing over who wrote a god damn obscure song for some 17 year old games. Akira said it right, you need to lighten up, smoke a fucking joint.
Oh yeah, I see you used the "f" word here. I remember a mother fucking time when you berated me, Akira or anyone else for using such language.
That attitude was one example of how you have offended me, and other people here. You seem control freakish and have terrible social skils. You need to fix it, cuz this world is not easy on people who want everything in a neat little package.

Last edited by Fred the Fop; 01 January 2005 at 22:06.
Old 01 January 2005, 23:00   #13
andreas
Zone Friend

Quote:
I am going to weigh in here. Andreas, you have problems. Mental ones.
Illustrated beautifully by you agaonizing over who wrote a god damn obscure song for some 17 year old games.
Agonizing? No. Two handles of 3 have been solved, and I want the third to be solved, too.
I dunno why you have to jump in here.

But everytime I look at your braindead off-topic threads, I know *who* has mental problems. I give you a good advice: people in glass houses should not throw stones!!

Quote:
Oh yeah, I see you used the "f" word here. I remember a mother fucking time when you berated me, Akira or anyone else for using such language.
I only use this "f" word. ONE word. You use 10 different ones in one sentence. Better not compare apples to oranges, eh?

I say: better KEEP OUT of here. That's an advice.

Last edited by andreas; 01 January 2005 at 23:05.
Old 02 January 2005, 00:33   #14
BippyM
Global Moderator

Get back on topic and pack up arguing please guys..

I don't care who is in the right/wrong here, you are all arguing and over something pathetic.

Want to keep on arguing then take it to PM's please, if not this thread will be closed
Old 04 January 2005, 14:06   #15
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

@Dr Bong. Interesting info. Was there anything to indicate why ZZKJ wanted to keep his name secret? Its not like he was a crap programmer with regards to a majority of his works!
Obviously a humble person!
Old 04 January 2005, 16:02   #16
andreas
Zone Friend

Not really...as far as I remember, he also was a scene guy that did some *hacking* on the Speccy(?)...if my memory serves me right, not always fully legal