English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 25 December 2009, 11:57   #1
AmiCoder

graphics.library private LVO's

Hello,

there are several private entry points in graphics.library. Is there a official documentation of them or they are for private use only (by the system)?

There are some such system calls in multiscan.monitor driver what I analyze now.

Any info?

Old 25 December 2009, 12:05   #2
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

There's no official documentation of them; that's the whole point of them being private.
Old 25 December 2009, 17:49   #3
Cosmos
Banned

graphicsPrivate1 = R_ReleasePen
graphicsPrivate2 = R_ObtainPen
graphicsPrivate3 = R_AddDisplayData
graphicsPrivate4 = R_AddDisplayInfoData
graphicsPrivate5 = R_SetDisplayInfoData
graphicsPrivate6 = R_WeighTAMatch
graphicsPrivate7 = moveq #0,d0 / rts
graphicsPrivate8 = moveq #0,d0 / rts
graphicsPrivate9 = ?
graphicsPrivate10 = moveq #0,d0 / rts

If someone know the ?, please post here !
Old 28 December 2009, 21:04   #4
AmiCoder

I'm analyzing the multiscan monitor driver and found there the -750 and -744 graphics library calls.

I'm trying to find a *regular way* of adding the mode names to the system (which are listed in the screenmode selector preferences item).

As we know Picasso96 drivers are not open source. It would be interesting to know if the old Picasso driver (kick 2 compatible) uses an official way to add a new modeids or an unofficial method?

I was unable to find any info about this in the RKRM. Any idea?

Old 28 December 2009, 23:29   #5
thomas

Quote:
As we know Picasso96 drivers are not open source.
UAEGFX is part of WinUAE, so it should be open source, shouldn't it ?
Old 29 December 2009, 09:49   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
UAEGFX is part of WinUAE, so it should be open source, shouldn't it ?
It is just the driver part which is very simple (blits, hardware initialization). All the real magic is in undocumented library.
Old 29 December 2009, 11:35   #7
AmiCoder

It seems almost everything is undocumented on the Amiga. From which documentation was Tobias Abt worked when he developed the first Picasso driver?

The old Picasso driver is Kick 2.0 compatible and it is working flawlessly. It doesn't require KICK 3. Very nice job.

The original Domino driver is much more interesting. It does all the stuff via one monitor driver file only: SONTOWSKI. It doesn't require any additional (3rd party) libraries.

How they did the development without a documentation? Impossible.

-o-

Toni, the uaegfx monitor driver was developed by You or by the Picasso96 developer team?

Old 29 December 2009, 11:57   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Not sure about documentation but having sources (which surely will exist somewhere) would be enough to understand how RTG works..

Quote:
the uaegfx monitor driver was developed by You or by the Picasso96 developer team?
I am not sure about original version (I think it was by Brian King) but new version since 1.5 is by me. There is non-public device driver "document" (that lists all functions and parameters + header files) that explain how to develop drivers.

Unfortunately it have absolutely no information about RTG.

Do not ask me, I am not allowed to distribute it. (anyway, you can "reverse-engineer" that information from winuae sources..)
Old 29 December 2009, 12:23   #9
AmiCoder

It is very hard to do anything (even a hobby level) if there is no documentation available. No one can earn money from a unsupported/old platform, so it is not clear for me why the development documentation are not publicly available (like for every normal platform/OS)?

On all other platforms developers are welcome. But on Amiga?!

So the original question is still open: from which documentation worked Tobias Abt & co when they have developed the first Picasso driver?

Old 29 December 2009, 12:35   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

My guess is too big egos and "fights"/"wars" in 1990s..

Only Amiga makes it possible to create multiple implementations multiple times (more than you can count) that do more or less the exact same thing and then have wars instead of working together.
Old 29 December 2009, 13:41   #11
AmiCoder

Correct, Toni. Maybe this thing was helped a lot in killing the Amiga development.

But today is 2009/10. Why can't we help each other now?

Can You please give me some contact emails where can I request the RTG developer docs or permission?

Quote:
Not sure about documentation but having sources (which surely will exist somewhere) would be enough to understand how RTG works..
Sources of...?

-o-

I don't want to develop anything based on a reverse engineering. I need to know the official way of realizing such things (if they exist). If I'll begin to work on a reverse engineering basis, I'll produce softwares like were produced in the 90's on Amiga, which are not compatible with any other system configuration than on they were made.

Last edited by AmiCoder; 29 December 2009 at 14:20.

Old 29 December 2009, 20:31   #12
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktork View Post
Correct, Toni. Maybe this thing was helped a lot in killing the Amiga development.
I am quite sure about it. Too many old wounds that still haven't healed I guess..

Quote:
Can You please give me some contact emails where can I request the RTG developer docs or permission?
I don't know. I only asked Cloanto (because they have some kind of UAE Picasso96 license and I don't want to talk about non-technical stuff..) to get Picasos96 open sourced, I don't know anything else.

Quote:
Sources of...?
Picasso96 or Cybergraphics. I don't really care which one gets open sourced as long as it has something to do with RTG (I'd like create transparent RTG emulation on Windows desktop, as in Windows desktop equals Workbench screen..)
Old 30 December 2009, 04:24   #13
Cosmos
Banned

>I'd like create transparent RTG emulation on Windows desktop, as in Windows desktop equals Workbench screen..

OOoooooohhhhhhh...