English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 17 June 2024, 11:03   #1
ItsTheSmell

40gb hdd reads as 4gb

Ive had to reinstall the OS (WB3.2) after installing a TF1232 Card. I have a 40gb hdd connected via a buffered ide controller to the standard ide connector in the 1200.

HDtoolbox did see it as a 40gb originally but it only sees it as 4gb now. If i 'read configuration' it returns 4gb and ive ran out of space.

Does anyone know why it sees it as 4gb?
Old 17 June 2024, 11:03   #2
ItsTheSmell

Following
Old 17 June 2024, 11:57   #3
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

Try other HDToolBox versions, from 3.9, from 3.2...

More details on HDD model would help, and current kick/OS
Old 17 June 2024, 12:09   #4
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheSmell View Post
Ive had to reinstall the OS (WB3.2) after installing a TF1232 Card. I have a 40gb hdd connected via a buffered ide controller to the standard ide connector in the 1200.

HDtoolbox did see it as a 40gb originally but it only sees it as 4gb now. If i 'read configuration' it returns 4gb and ive ran out of space.

Does anyone know why it sees it as 4gb?
HDToolbox V47 defaults to limiting the usable size of the hard disk to what the Kickstart 2.x/3.0/3.1 scsi.device could safely handle. Which means that unless your system has at least scsi.device V43 installed, HDToolbox V47 will keep you from adding partitions which extend beyond the 4 GByte "barrier". This limitation only kicks in if HDToolbox uses scsi.device (the default) and does not apply to other mass storage device drivers.

You can turn off this limitation by changing the HDToolbox icon tool types, adding "LIMIT_4GBYTE=no". If you launch HDToolbox from the shell, you can use "hdtoolbox LIMIT_4GBYTE=no" to achieve the same effect.

Yes, this is a crude approach to a crude problem, but unlike previous HDToolbox versions, we tried to make HDToolbox in Workbench 3.2 (and beyond) safe by default, rather than the "ACME Dynamite" stick it became during the Kickstart 3.0/3.1 days
Old 17 June 2024, 17:57   #5
ItsTheSmell

I have editee the icon info and inclided the =no to the end of the (LIMIT_4GBYTE=no) but its still reading the drive as 4gb.
I had 3.2 on my previous install with a 20gb hdd and it was fine. In fact, on my first reinstall it did see it as 38gb. I made some adjustments to partition sizes etc and its thrown a wobbler.

Could it be anything to do with the tf1232 having its own ide port? I havent done anything with it.

Workbench 3.1 install disk, hdtoolbox, sees the drive as -186mb. When I click save it reports the disk is full.

Hopping over to aminet; i cannot find hdtoolbox, only a patch for optical drives.

HELP

Last edited by ItsTheSmell; 17 June 2024 at 19:08.
Old 17 June 2024, 18:26   #6
supaduper

Just use fixhddsize it will add the rest of space left on the drive then you use HDtoolbox create the partitions

Also if it has thrown a wobbler best to clean the Disk using windows diskpart and start again

Its nothing to do with the TF1232 IDE port

http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/fixhddsize

Last edited by supaduper; 17 June 2024 at 18:33.
Old 17 June 2024, 18:55   #7
fgh

Quote:
I have editee the icon info and inclided the =no to the end of the (LIMIT_4GBYTE=no) but its still reading the drive as 4gb.
I had 3.2 on my previous install with a 20gb hdd and it was fine. In fact, on my first reinstall it did see it as 38gb. I made some adjustments to partition sizes etc and its thrown a wobbler.

Could it be anything to do with the tf1232 having its own ide port? I havent done anything with it.
Try removing the paranthesis
Old 17 June 2024, 20:00   #8
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Yikes! (LIMIT_4GBYTE=no) means that the icon tool type is "commented out". Please reenter it as LIMIT_4GBYTE=no with the parentheses removed.
Old 17 June 2024, 20:08   #9
ItsTheSmell

LIMIT_4GBYTES was already in brackets.
I tried removing them to see if it worked.

I tried the fixhddsize tool but it said it was correct at 4gb.

Adding the hdd to my windows pc, diskpart can see a 4gb drive, i cleaned it, put it back in the amiga AND . . . .its still a 4gb drive.

I hate computers
Old 17 June 2024, 20:31   #10
supaduper

Something wrong with the drive so you know what I will day...try another drive
Old 17 June 2024, 20:37   #11
Daedalus

Many drives of the era have a jumper to limit capacity to 4GB (or sometimes 8GB) for compatibility with older systems. Check the label of the drive for the jumper settings, or find a manual for the model online.
Old 17 June 2024, 20:54   #12
ItsTheSmell

Selecting another drive is for quiters.

Could I have had the cable back to front? Pin 1 to the front of the machine.
Old 17 June 2024, 21:02   #13
ItsTheSmell

I think hdtoolbox for 3.2 has a bug in it thats wrecked my drive
Old 17 June 2024, 21:28   #14
ItsTheSmell

So the drive that was originally in the amiga, ive put it back in and used hdtoolbox to read its configuration. It sees it as a 19gb (its 20gb) and when i click on OKiits giving me a Cannot read from drive definitions!

This drive was ok before, it was my slave drive with all the games on. Somethings a miss here.
Old 19 June 2024, 11:17   #15
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
I think hdtoolbox for 3.2 has a bug in it thats wrecked my drive
Unless you change the partition layout, read the drive definitions and write any of these changes back, HDToolbox V47 will not change anything on the drive.

The 4 GByte limit, which is enabled by default, does not make HDToolbox tell the drive to pretend it's 4 GBytes in size. It merely makes HDToolbox deny any attempt to move, resize or create a new partition if that partition would end up extending or full residing beyond the first 4 GBytes of the hard disk.

That said, HDToolbox being HDToolbox, it will invariably show the kind of error messages which provide little context on what the problem is, or if there is a problem in the first place. In your case, HDToolbox complaining about the drive definitions file not being present means what it says: it tried to open this file and failed. HDToolbox will work with or without that file.
Old 19 June 2024, 20:49   #16
ItsTheSmell

I put the hdd onto my pc and ran Spinrite 6.1 which immediately told me there was a partition error it couldnt fix, this was after cleaning the drive with diskpart. Spinrite read the drive as a 4gb drive so something has chewed it up. It could be age related but it was ok prior to repartitioning it a 2nd time.
Old 20 June 2024, 08:51   #17
Jope
-

If you did a diskpart clean on it first, then spinrite definitely can't find a partition table on there. There's not much Spinrite can do for any IDE/SCSI disk. All the magic that happens on modern drives is thanks to the controller on the drive itself reallocating bad sectors while Spinrite keeps on attempting to read the faulty spots.

Does your hard disk perhaps have a size limit jumper that you have inadvertently enabled?
Old 20 June 2024, 09:38   #18
ItsTheSmell

There are no jumpers on it.
Cleaning the drive with diskpart didnt do anything yo the drive. It said it was cleaned but putting back into the 1200 it had the same structure. Initially hdtools saw the whole drive, so something has gone wrong with the drives controller
Old 20 June 2024, 09:41   #19
Jope
-

In this case it definitely seems it has failed on you.

Diskpart clean just overwrites data on the beginning and end of the drive, so it is not something that can alter the lower level workings of the controller. :-)
Old 20 June 2024, 10:37   #20
ItsTheSmell

Ahhh bollocks. Looks like ill have to reinstall 3.2 all over again with all the whdload archives extracted from a cd. Grueller