English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 15 January 2004, 14:03   #1
Marcuz

About save/load state

I forgot to mention it before because i was quite accustomed to it and i'm not even sure that it's a winuae problem.

when you are using a memory tweakin utility as Action Replay, and you load a previously saved state, the AR is either kicked out from the memory or it can't access the right spot in the RAM. do have i to assume that save states are loaded to a not fixed header in memory or AR is loaded in a part of RAM that is not properly retained? the calling of it (like Page Down) usually hangs the emulation.
Old 31 January 2004, 14:11   #2
Marcuz

any help? i mean i really really want to cheat guys... please give me some hex to scramble
Old 01 February 2004, 09:48   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

AR has 64k RAM. You just can't load new state and expect AR to work without reinitializing the RAM.. (which normally happens when AR is booted the first time)
Old 19 February 2004, 00:25   #4
Jim

Hi Toni,

I still think there is a bug with the save-state/AR3 ROM somewhere.

For example.

I start A500 with Action Replay 3 ROM. If I then save the state I expected it to save the fact that it had a AR3 ROM installed too.

If I saved the state when AR3 was not active yet in memory (i.e. I had X'd out or not pressed freeze) I can load the state, but as soon as I press Freeze (PgUp) it crashes.

If I save the state when AR3 was active and on the screen I load it and it crashes. Both times it seems to corrupt the Cartridge String in WinUAE's ROM dialog. If this corruption of the string didn't happen I might accept it as by design, but the corruption of the string is what makes me write this message.

Is this by design as you seem to have stated or a bug, I just wanted clarification.

Thanks

Old 13 March 2005, 14:38   #5
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
don't know if this helps but if AR is being chucked out of memory why not try using an external cheat tool, I use cheatOmatic just the other day i finally completed megalomania on winuae using cheatomatic to find my pool of men and lock the value to allways 100 or 200 depending on epoch! I also finally discoverd the freeze tower icon which has always baffled me and managed to take men to the mother of all battles. Also with cheatomatic you can copy the value of the cheat to text a file and reuse when you restore your save state!

I find cheatomatic works with most games be it pc / emu whatever as long as you can see a value ie lives, ammo, bread, oil, money whatever cheatomatic will work in 3 or 4 attempts i have had more success with this tool than i ever had with any action replay on any system.

please note: cheatomatic will not work on win98se as far as i know it will work on all other windows beyond 95 and including win98. just to clarify cheatomatic isn't an amiga app but pc when you are looking for cheats in an emulator such as winuae choose that as the program you want to cheat (and whatever is running under winuae at the time)

Last edited by sarek2k; 13 March 2005 at 14:46. Reason: added some notes
Old 13 March 2005, 15:16   #6
Marcuz

it seems that the download page on the cheatomatic sites are down and the pages not updated since 2001; can you zone it please?
is there any similar newer program around?
Old 13 March 2005, 15:42   #7
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

i'll up it to the zone in a minute! there might be newer programs around but since this works fine in XP and because of it's ease of use i'd go with this everytime! over the years i have tried this on many games and it's hardly ever let me down! works on any game with resources / lives, like cossacks, age of empires, warcraft, rise of nations, defender of the crown remasterd etc and of course shoot em up games like warblade (aka deluxe galaga pc)
Old 13 March 2005, 15:46   #8
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

posted in the zone
Old 13 March 2005, 16:57   #9
Marcuz

thanks you