English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 17 October 2012, 00:04   #1
knight76

Joining the fray

Hi all.

I've had an Amiga 1200 for a while now with WHDLoad drive but am now looking to get back in to buying original games again. WHDLoad is fine, but not all games are there, and looking up at my shelves and seeing some of the best games of all time is great.

I was lucky to pickup a free A500 with a bunch of great condition boxed classics like Speedball 2, Shadow of the beast 1 and 2, Magic Pokets, X-out and more.

Seeing these boxed games got me back in to the mood for buying originals lol.

I also just ordered a SD floppy emulator from Lotharek's Lair and hoping I can use that to play the games rather than my original disks. And I find WHDLoad great, but many of the games have technical issues.

Well thats me, 36 year old retro gamer from Australia.
Old 17 October 2012, 00:06   #2
Kitty

I don't think I have run into many issues in WHDLoad that couldn't be fixed with the right configuration, what games you have problems with and have you got a WHDLoad key?
Old 17 October 2012, 00:12   #3
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I recently played around 550 WHDLoad games and out of those 1 didn't work at all and 3 or 4 had issues about timing settings under WinUAE. That's a pretty solid ratio I'd say. The rest worked just fine with a A1200 + 8 MB fast setup.
Old 17 October 2012, 00:14   #4
knight76

Thanks Kitty, I don't have a WHDLoad key as yet. I was considering it but with the issues I was facing with some of the games I gave up and ordered the SD Floppy Emulator instead.

My main issues with it were Might and Magic III with the dungeon map issue. I know this has been fixed in a later release of the WHDLoad install but I am not too sharp on the use of WHDLoad and putting new installs on etc.

Gods was another, played part of the first level and game crashed. I am not sure if this is something built in to fail if WHDLoad is not registered, or an issue with the install.

Cyberdruid, I am talking about real hardware not winuae, if that makes any difference. I understand winuae allows you to change your configuration file around to suit the games needs.
Old 17 October 2012, 00:23   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

That's why I mentioned that at least 540 installs worked 'out of the box' with a pretty basic setting (no tweaking). Anyway, each to their own Just stated my personal, quite recent experience with WHDLoad (registered).
Old 17 October 2012, 04:30   #6
knight76

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
That's why I mentioned that at least 540 installs worked 'out of the box' with a pretty basic setting (no tweaking). Anyway, each to their own Just stated my personal, quite recent experience with WHDLoad (registered).
Your likely right, as I said in the other thread my WHDLoad is not registered, and not current and neither are the installs. I bought it from an ebay seller fully loaded and ready to go for a plug and play solution.

However, keeping up with all the latest installs, updating the WHDLoad, and actually installing them etc, is not so plug and play and I have not got my head around the winuae environment and all that entails. Registering the WHDLoad is not an issue, but getting the back end software done is.

HxC for me alleviates this by dropping down to dealing direct with disk images which is far easier. I'm already used to that with my C64 and uIEC so very similar workings.