English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 04 February 2020, 20:34   #1
MickGyver

Amiga CD32 Joystick (KTRL CD32+ Arcade)

I made a PCB for building an arcade joystick for the Amiga CD32. It has all the functions of my KTRL CD32+ gamepad. For this I created a 3D printable "compact" arcade joystick shell that can be used with an arcade stick and 24mm arcade buttons.

For those interested I will sell the PCB and components needed to build your own. You can print your own shell using the design I made or you can buy an arcade joystick of your choice and fit the PCB.

I made my joysticks right handed because that's what I'm used to. The 3D model can be mirrored to print a left handed one and the buttons can be placed in any order you want.

Old 04 February 2020, 20:39   #2
Amigajay

Very nice! Although my brain can’t handle the joystick on the right!
Old 04 February 2020, 20:44   #3
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Very nice! Although my brain can’t handle the joystick on the right!
Thanks! Here you go!
Old 04 February 2020, 20:46   #4
DamienD
Banned

Yup, the joystick is on the wrong side

Show me an Arcade machine that has that configuration.

Edit: while I was writing my post you posted pictures of a "standard" Arcade joystick setup
Old 04 February 2020, 20:54   #5
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Yup, the joystick is on the wrong side

Show me an Arcade machine that has that configuration.

Edit: while I was writing my post you posted pictures of a "standard" Arcade joystick setup
No arcade machines had joysticks on the right I guess but I (and most of my friends) used the Atari/C64/Amiga joysticks with the right hand (left hand for button). Was this uncommon practice?
Old 04 February 2020, 21:03   #6
wiz12

Looks great but I don't know of many Amiga games (except for CD32) that use more than two buttons, can you have the joystick on the left as an option for people too?
Old 04 February 2020, 21:08   #7
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz12 View Post
Looks great but I don't know of many Amiga games (except for CD32) that use more than two buttons, can you have the joystick on the left as an option for people too?
Yes, the joystick can also be on the left. I just printed mine with the joystick to the right, since that's what I'm used to. I won't be selling any assembled joysticks, the 3D printing takes way too long, but the joystick can be printed with the stick to the left or right.

Mainly CD32 games needs the extra buttons, but UP and DOWN can also be easily mapped to buttons if you want.
Old 04 February 2020, 22:51   #8
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickGyver View Post
but I (and most of my friends) used the Atari/C64/Amiga joysticks with the right hand (left hand for button). Was this uncommon practice?
Yes, if you grew up in the Arcades

I'm right handed, but the joystick is always on the left and the buttons on the right.

...but yes, I guess when it comes to C64 / Amiga joysticks then I would hold in my right hand and press buttons with my left hand from memory.

The joystick on the right in an "Arcade" setup would really suit "lefties" though
Old 05 February 2020, 02:56   #9
amiman99

How much is it?
Old 05 February 2020, 07:19   #10
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz12 View Post
Looks great but I don't know of many Amiga games (except for CD32) that use more than two buttons
There are some games mentioned here, and thanks to WHDLoad list is still growing.

But for some games where You must use combination of buttons (e.g. Wing Commander CD32 or Exile AGA) joypad is more comfortable.
Old 05 February 2020, 07:40   #11
DanyPPC

Great ! A CD32 Joystick in 2020 !!!

Old 05 February 2020, 08:16   #12
MickGyver

Quote:
I wish! I grew up in the forest basically! There were some arcade machines in neighbouring towns but rarely played those. I played some pinball machines though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiman99 View Post
How much is it?
This will be a DIY project so it all depends what parts you use. The price of arcade joysticks and buttons vary a lot. If you buy parts from Aliexpress or eBay then it's cheaper. I'm looking at around 25€ 22€ for the PCB and components (incl. programmed atmega and cable), that includes the stl file to print the shell in the photos above, left or right handed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo Kazuki View Post
There are some games mentioned here, and thanks to WHDLoad list is still growing.

But for some games where You must use combination of buttons (e.g. Wing Commander CD32 or Exile AGA) joypad is more comfortable.
Great list, thanks for the heads up! Yes, I agree that a gamepad is more comfortable for some games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyPPC View Post
Great ! A CD32 Joystick in 2020 !!!

Long live the CD32!

Last edited by MickGyver; 04 April 2020 at 17:35.
Old 05 February 2020, 09:31   #13
Tyball

Quote:

I'm right handed, but the joystick is always on the left and the buttons on the right.

...but yes, I guess when it comes to C64 / Amiga joysticks then I would hold in my right hand and press buttons with my left hand from memory.

The joystick on the right in an "Arcade" setup would really suit "lefties" though
I've read some stories about how they moved the joystick on arcade machines from the right to the left at some point to make games harder (and thus earn more coins). Don't know if this is true though.

I've grown up with a C64 and an Amiga 500 and I'm right handed. Maybe that's why I operated the joysticks with my right hand. I've never met anyone who use their left hand on computer joysticks.

I would love to have something like this. It looks to be at least a little bit ergonomic. But two buttons are enough for me. I would also like a stick with a very small throw. Just like those old Suzo The Arcade sticks.
Old 05 February 2020, 12:00   #14
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyball View Post
I've read some stories about how they moved the joystick on arcade machines from the right to the left at some point to make games harder (and thus earn more coins). Don't know if this is true though.
Sounds evil!

Quote:
I would love to have something like this. It looks to be at least a little bit ergonomic. But two buttons are enough for me. I would also like a stick with a very small throw. Just like those old Suzo The Arcade sticks.
The Seimitsu LS-40 and LS-56 both have short throws, but not as short as the Suzo I guess.
https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/produc...-Joystick.html

I have a Seimitsu LS-32 and I really like it!
Old 05 February 2020, 12:16   #15
Glen M

This is fantastic work, I was actually thinking of raising this with you since the KMTech boards I used in my arcade controller are no longer made plus these have the added advantage of CD32+ pad.

How much are you selling these for?

Might be a worth while investment to update my arcade controller!
Old 05 February 2020, 12:22   #16
CFou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickGyver View Post
Thanks! Here you go!
great job.

I woull have to build one. it might motivate me to add CD32 pad support in more games.
Old 05 February 2020, 13:03   #17
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyball View Post
It looks to be at least a little bit ergonomic.
I added chamfer to the top of the 3D model for better ergonomy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
This is fantastic work, I was actually thinking of raising this with you since the KMTech boards I used in my arcade controller are no longer made plus these have the added advantage of CD32+ pad.

How much are you selling these for?

Might be a worth while investment to update my arcade controller!
These are the prices:
PCB + components (incl. programmed Atmega, JST connectors and 9-pin cable): 22€
Shipping: A couple of euros.

For anybody that is interested, send me a PM, no need to declare interest in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOU! View Post
great job.

I woull have to build one. it might motivate me to add CD32 pad support in more games.
Thanks! If that is the case, I can send you a set (pcb+components+cable) for free, more games with CD32 pad support would be great!

Last edited by MickGyver; 04 April 2020 at 17:34. Reason: Edited the prices
Old 05 February 2020, 13:17   #18
robinsonb5

Have you considered a firmware option to rotate the controls 180 degrees? If you could change that on the fly, then the same joystick can be used by left- or right- handers just by turning the joystick round.
Old 05 February 2020, 13:25   #19
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsonb5 View Post
Have you considered a firmware option to rotate the controls 180 degrees? If you could change that on the fly, then the same joystick can be used by left- or right- handers just by turning the joystick round.
That's a good idea, but there are two problems with this design when it comes to that. It's asymmetrical so it's not so comfortable when turning it around, the other issue is that LEFT and RIGHT are directly connected to the cable, meaning they are not processed by Atmega at all.
Old 04 April 2020, 17:49   #20
MickGyver

I now have a "final" version of the PCB so if anybody is interested in making their own arcade style joystick for the CD32/Amiga, send me a PM!

The price for a kit is 22€. This includes the PCB, components (incl. pre-programmed Atmega, JST connectors, 9-pin cable and screws) and three different stl 3D models so you can 3D-print your enclosure depending on the joystick you decide to use. Soldering is required.

Last edited by MickGyver; 04 April 2020 at 18:42.