English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 05 June 2015, 10:58   #1
mc68060
With MMU and FPU!

James Pond Limited Edition

On ebay.com there's a James Pond Limited Edition up for auction. The difference seems to be that this version requires 1 MB whereas the original Pond requires only 512kb. There are stickers that the limited edition requires 1 MB on the box and the disk. The disk has also "1 megabyte required" on it.

I did some research and couldn't find any further information about this limited edition on HOL.

Does anybody know more about it, especially about the difference between this version and the original release? Is this limited edition already in CAPS or TOSEC?
Old 05 June 2015, 22:46   #2
fondpondforever

Super Rare

Wow, that copy could be Super Rare.
Old 05 June 2015, 22:50   #3
s2325
Zone Friend

Maybe it's not enhanced but without loading between levels if there were any.
Old 06 June 2015, 05:00   #4
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

I asked the programmer Chris Sorrell, here's his reply:

Quote:
Hi Ian,

We’re talking about JP1, right? For that one I vaguely remember that the loading/intro sequence had some kind of extra animation if you had a 1Mb system - but this was a built in switch that was part of the shipped version.

As for JP2, that also had a built-in extra for 1Mb systems: it loaded all maps into the extra memory and never had to load from disk.

…But that’s all I know about - oh, unless we’re talking about an *AGA* version of the JP2… I recall a colleague of mine at Millennium spent a while working on enhancements for an 'Amiga CD' version of Robocod. It wouldn't surprise me if those improvements were rolled back into an AGA targeted version disc version (AGA systems had 1Mb as standard I believe?). I'd be surprised if there was ever a special version of JP1 though - all the AGA work came after JP2 had shipped. …Since all my James Pond work was done outside of Millennium I can’t totally vouch for what extra versions they may have done without my knowledge but I’m pretty sure AGA systems would be the angle here.

Hope this helps!
Old 06 June 2015, 10:07   #5
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Thanks for asking but it doesn't help at all. This is definitely James Pond 1 and it's very clearly marked as a limited edition needing 1mb. Apart from having stickers it's even printed on the disk that it requires 1mb. You can see the item here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/An-Amiga-l.../371343067370?
Old 06 June 2015, 11:24   #6
mc68060
With MMU and FPU!

Thanks for asking! So either this sticker is nonsense and just a marketing stunt for something that was already built-in in the regular version or this version was done by someone at Millennium without Chris Sorrell's involvement...
Old 06 June 2015, 11:34   #7
mc68060
With MMU and FPU!

I've just tried the James Pond 1 version that is in TOSEC on WinUAE with 512kb and 1MB and there are no differences in the intro and loading screen between a 512kb and 1MB configuration. Maybe the switch that Sorrell is talking about was not activated in the initial release and then discovered later again for this limited edition?
Old 06 June 2015, 18:25   #8
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc68060 View Post
On ebay.com there's a James Pond Limited Edition up for auction. The difference seems to be that this version requires 1 MB whereas the original Pond requires only 512kb. There are stickers that the limited edition requires 1 MB on the box and the disk. The disk has also "1 megabyte required" on it.

I did some research and couldn't find any further information about this limited edition on HOL.

Does anybody know more about it, especially about the difference between this version and the original release? Is this limited edition already in CAPS or TOSEC?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc68060 View Post
I've just tried the James Pond 1 version that is in TOSEC on WinUAE with 512kb and 1MB and there are no differences in the intro and loading screen between a 512kb and 1MB configuration. Maybe the switch that Sorrell is talking about was not activated in the initial release and then discovered later again for this limited edition?
I bet it's just an A500+ compatible version that was manufactured in production runs of the original release in 1991 after the A500+ was released.

The A500+ came with 1Mb ram (and KS2.04 + ECS) and broke a lot of games that had been previously released, which caused many customers to complain to software retailers/manufacturers and return games at the time. Some software companies simply waited until the budget/compilation release of their games came around to issue an A500+ compatible version, while others just didn't bother (or couldn't afford to).

Maybe Millennium couldn't wait and thought it might damage sales of James Pond (and its imminent sequel), and therefore rushed out an A500+ compatible version of the original release in '91 before re-releasing it as a budget version in early '92. The "1MB limited edition" sticker on the original release reissue was probably just a bit of tricky marketing on Millennium's part!

That's my theory anyway.......you can take it or leave it!!

Last edited by DrBong; 06 June 2015 at 23:16.
Old 06 June 2015, 19:00   #9
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
would be nice to have it and it won't be hard to make an extended ADF out of it !
Old 06 June 2015, 21:46   #10
Tweeky

they used a photo of that 1Mb Sticker Edition for the Chart Attack Compilation http://hol.abime.net/2998/boxscan

manual don't mention anything that it needs 1 Mb, either they used the wrong version or Dr.Bong is right, bcs the quick raw version i did of my original runs on a A500+ config.
Old 06 June 2015, 23:26   #11
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeky View Post
they used a photo of that 1Mb Sticker Edition for the Chart Attack Compilation http://hol.abime.net/2998/boxscan

manual don't mention anything that it needs 1 Mb, either they used the wrong version or Dr.Bong is right, bcs the quick raw version i did of my original runs on a A500+ config.
If it is pictured on the front of the box, maybe the Chart Attack compilation contains this so-called 1MB version of James Pond. Are you able to compare your original release to the SPS release of the compilation version?
Old 07 June 2015, 00:02   #12
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

i have the collectors (chart attack) version of James Pond in original. It's not stated anywhere that it's the 1mb version.
Old 07 June 2015, 00:17   #13
Tweeky

sorry if i been not clear, i own the Chart Attack version, i dont have SPS versions to compare
it runs fine with 512kb or 1mb and i dont see a difference

thats why i thought they used the wrong version(if there is really one that needs 1MB) or it was just as you said that it run on A500+

tested with WinUAE, i dont get it to run on my real A1200
Old 07 June 2015, 00:20   #14
Tweeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
i have the collectors (chart attack) version of James Pond in original. It's not stated anywhere that it's the 1mb version.
its on the photo on the Box front
Old 07 June 2015, 00:35   #15
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

my physical copy has burnt in my parents' ex-house..... what remains is the dumps i did.

EDIT : And indeed, you're right ! I have so the 1mb version then !

btw, it's unsupported under whdload, i think we should ask for it to be supported....
Old 07 June 2015, 10:23   #16
mc68060
With MMU and FPU!

@dlfrsilver:
Quote:
And indeed, you're right ! I have so the 1mb version then
So are there any differences between the 1mb and the 512kb version?
Old 07 June 2015, 10:59   #17
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

well i have not specifically notice any..... I put it in the zone, i let the people who wants to check it see if they find anything....
Old 07 June 2015, 12:07   #18
Superman

The only difference I saw is the alledged 1mb version has a Vectordean bootscreen. I also tried it on a 512kb configuration in WinUAE and it booted and played fine on that also. The Paradox crack ADF I have (with +2 trainer) also plays on both a 512kb A500 and 1mb A500+ config in WinUAE.
Old 07 June 2015, 14:52   #19
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

I can't see any difference between this alleged 1mb version and SPS3015 version.
They both run on 512kb chip only, same Vectordean load screen etc.
Old 07 June 2015, 15:14   #20
Stefan Lindberg
Zone Friend

I don't think the fact they used a photo of a box wich has a sticker is really that version in the box
The same box cover is used for the ST release and it contain the ST version and not the limited Amiga version (just a joke)

The marketing guy has messed up... the box art is clearly made by amateurs, it does not even have the correct aspect ration for the artwork.