English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.Maptapper

Old 25 March 2016, 19:58   #61
clenched

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipoonios View Post
Is it just me, or did you have problems to make this jump too? I can do it about 1 of 100 times.
It's not you. I had trouble making it too. But not as bad as one out of a hundred. Toyed with the idea exact time to jump might have something to do with the position of the fishes. Watch them and see how they jump in cycles of four, each jump a little higher. Anyway it can be done. Since the goal here was just to capture screens, never bothered to figure it out.

EDIT:
This way works without taking any damage. Do a few warm up jumps to platform. Practice spinning 180 degrees and landing back on the ground. If it is done just right the heel of left foot will catch platform instead of toe of right foot. Immediately go as far left as possible without going into the drink. This is to prevent being rammed into the overhead spikes.

Last edited by clenched; 25 March 2016 at 22:33. Reason: more info
Old 26 March 2016, 14:53   #62
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Stuck on the second level. Do you remember what to do here?

Fix that broken pipe with that item does not not work. Do I need to do anything else? Turn off water first? Tried that too, but does not work. I suspect that I play a broken version

edit: After you have finished the first level you get a password to next level:

I want to try another version using that password. But can't find where you put it in

Last edited by hipoonios; 26 March 2016 at 15:23.
Old 26 March 2016, 15:10   #63
s2325
Zone Friend

I think there should be some tool(s) to fix pipe but it's just game.
Old 26 March 2016, 15:57   #64
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

I figured out how to turn off the water. But can't still continue.
Old 26 March 2016, 16:21   #65
clenched

Load all three stones into the ore cart before trying the elbow. Then turn water on. Hammer floats up. Hammer out rails. Cart to smash wall. The code has nothing to do with level. It is the order to push four red buttons in next to last room. This room will be pitch black unless you have lantern.
Old 26 March 2016, 16:37   #66
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Ok, I actually figured it out before i read your post. But thanks anyway.

Water is on by default so you must first drop the missing pipe below water. Else the water can't be turned off for some reason. After the water is turned off, you need to pick up the missing pipe thing again and use it on the same place to fix it. After that you need to turn the water on again. Kinda confusing...
Old 26 March 2016, 17:13   #67
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Thanks for the info about the password thing. Now I am near to finish the the second level. I got the chest. But don't know what to do with it. It seems I can't go back now.

eh, never mind. Should try a bit more first before i scream for help
Old 24 August 2016, 18:25   #68
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Is it possible to make a map of Kastle Kumquat? This is an really interesting Shareware game with just one level. A map would be useful to find all secret rooms.

I know this is not a scrolling game, so guess it's hard work? Someone seems to have made a map of the PC remake a few years ago. Unfortunately it is gone now.
Old 24 August 2016, 21:59   #69
clenched

I don't think this game will be all that hard. The tiles are easy. The problem is the file Levels1. Between each picture there is an overhead of stuff. Once the actual map begins there are seven intervening bytes between each tile. This skews the picture alignment (see how moving the cursor once reveals alternate pictures in the second column.). All this excess must be stripped away. If we're lucky the pictures will go together like a jigsaw puzzle and maybe the whole game won't have to be played.

Anyway every picture on that file is here so it doesn't look too big.

Last edited by clenched; 29 August 2016 at 19:48. Reason: Delete attachment
Old 25 August 2016, 01:03   #70
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

So you need an option to skip x bytes every y bytes? I believe the custom Brat ripping mode does that, it skips 20 bytes between tiles or rows or something like that.
Old 25 August 2016, 02:13   #71
clenched

Unfortunately the amount to be skipped isn't uniform. MS Qbasic is what I used. Actually the map is finished except for one picture. I haven't found where it belongs yet.

Code:
CLS
OPEN "c:\levels1" FOR BINARY AS 1
OPEN "c:\levels0" FOR OUTPUT AS 2
WHILE NOT EOF(1)
REM strip this much at each picture
FOR j = 0 TO &HBD
a$ = INPUT$(1, 1)
NEXT j

FOR j = 0 TO 15 * 20 - 1
REM transform quad word to byte
FOR i = 0 TO 6
a$ = INPUT$(1, 1)
NEXT i
a$ = INPUT$(1, 1)
PRINT #2, a$;
NEXT j

FOR j = 0 TO &H5: REM strip 6 bytes after map
a$ = INPUT$(1, 1)
NEXT j

WEND
CLOSE 1
CLOSE 2
EDIT:
Stuff to watch out for: Room beneath the "x" lava pit in the south. There are three walls that can be walked through. They show up on the map black lighter but look like ordinary walls in the game. Each of these enter the same adjoining room from a different direction. Obviously the east door room would erase the room underneath. Now and then leaving a room and turning straight back goes to a different room.
http://hol.abime.net/6103/gamemap

Last edited by clenched; 30 August 2016 at 03:22. Reason: Finish map; delete attachment
Old 25 August 2016, 18:02   #72
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Thank you so much!!! I studied the map a little bit and I can tell you that I would never find all kumquats and keys without a map. Like the ones down in the right corner of the map. To find these, you must jump into the lava. Nothing you really thinking of to do Anyway, now can I hopefully finish this game 100%
Old 25 August 2016, 20:24   #73
clenched

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipoonios View Post
Thank you so much!!! I studied the map a little bit and I can tell you that I would never find all kumquats and keys without a map. Like the ones down in the right corner of the map. To find these, you must jump into the lava. Nothing you really thinking of to do Anyway, now can I hopefully finish this game 100%
If you're going for a perfect game better know this.
Code:
        Congratulations!
       You have completed
           This game  
   Get in touch with me (Dan)
   and ill send you a prize.
    However you didnt get all
           the fruit!
    There are 220 in total.
   See if ya can get em all!
That message appeared when exit was reached. For the heck of it, I had the BASIC map creator tabulate every time a kumquat tile index was written to the new map. It turned up 219 so I suspect the last one is hidden in some way. If you count them by hand don't double count the picture used twice on the map.
EDIT: Each picture is used only once in map now.

Last edited by clenched; 30 August 2016 at 03:26. Reason: typo
Old 25 August 2016, 20:53   #74
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Thanks for the info.

Have you played it through? Yeah, the last one can be hidden somewhere.

These two rooms are suspicious and strange. If you use the switch in that room then door won't open. Instead a green crystal appears in the right upper corner. So guess the last one can be hidden this way.

Have not played the game much yet. Will do tomorrow.
Old 26 August 2016, 21:03   #75
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

So I completed the game... and guess what... You were right about the fruits. There are only 219 fruits/kumquats in the game. And I found no hidden stuff. I think the developer fucked it up.
Old 26 August 2016, 23:23   #76
clenched

I'm not convinced. The author took pains to write elaborate text when "ALL the fruit!" is collected. That text can be read on the ADF. He sounds adamant about that. My wild guess would be the room at top of map that looks a little like an altar and two pools. The thing that looks like a sword seems to cry out to do something. Also those few altar tiles are found nowhere else.
Old 26 August 2016, 23:50   #77
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

I'm not convinced either. But there may be a possibility that he counted them wrong.

I have double-checked the altar and many other places that looks strange. Another suspiciously place there the tiles is only used once is the room with the Pacman ghosts.

Uploaded my playthrough anyway. Will replay and upload a new video if I ever find out were the last one is hidden. in my video, you'll notice that there are three rooms that I did not enter. It's because these rooms are dead-ends.

edit: The coder is on Youtube. But he has disabled private messages, so can't send a message and ask.

Last edited by hipoonios; 27 August 2016 at 00:33.
Old 29 August 2016, 20:00   #78
clenched

A couple of deleted programs on the ADF can be recovered with DiskSalv.

Editor - Some stuff works. Others don't. (or I couldn't figure out)
Cheat - Runs game. RMB brings CLI to front. Type room to go to. LMB deposits player in new room. Beware: two successive LMBs will exit game. Also lots of lives.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kastle Kumquat (1992)(Cybernetix)_001.png
Views:	318
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	49665  
Old 31 August 2016, 21:39   #79
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

You are amazing at finding all these kind of stuff. How do you do it? Using Action Replay?

However, can not get the cheat to work. But it does not matter, because I don't think it would help me anyway to find the last fruit.

and... cool that you found the level editor!
Old 31 August 2016, 22:16   #80
clenched

I didn't find anything. Just run the DiskSalv program on any Amiga DOS ADF and it will find them for you. I could only run editor with Kickstart 2.