English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.CD32 Conversion

Old 10 May 2020, 11:55   #61
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochabian View Post
Well done Earok.
Mountin the .img in Winuae is really great. I didn't know it was possible with this file extension.
The menu is classic & efficient.
I'll check how i can add some games to the menu
I'll try to make a dual boot with your menu for CD32 games & TinyLauncher for the other Whdload Games & demos. It will be perfect

Thanks!
Cheers mate

Adding games to the menu is easy, either:

- Have a WHDLoad slave with the same name as the containing folder, or.
- Have a script called runme in the folder.

Adding a second menu would be fairly easy too.

- Create a fake "game" in game folder called something like "TinyLauncher", and have a runme file that changes to the correct directory and opens the app.

Since the first volume is basically full, my recommendation would be to put additional games and such on the second volume.
Old 08 June 2020, 23:11   #62
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

I've tried to add a dual boot on my existing system and it seems to be fine excepts the iso games.
To debug, i've done this :
With same Winuae config, if i boot from your image, all is working well.
But if i copy all the files from your image in a folder with Dopus and then make this folder a drive in WinUAE and boot from it, all is working excepts iso games. Just after the skick, it seems to loop to yellow screen and reset. I don't understand what is causing this
Old 09 June 2020, 00:44   #63
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochabian View Post
I've tried to add a dual boot on my existing system and it seems to be fine excepts the iso games.
To debug, i've done this :
With same Winuae config, if i boot from your image, all is working well.
But if i copy all the files from your image in a folder with Dopus and then make this folder a drive in WinUAE and boot from it, all is working excepts iso games. Just after the skick, it seems to loop to yellow screen and reset. I don't understand what is causing this
Hmmm :/ I'm not entirely sure myself, I haven't seen the yellow screen before.

I don't suppose you could film it somehow...?

A slight aside, I'm slowly working through my 'second phase', where I've been focusing on quality over quantity (lowest rated game by Lemon Amiga score is 6, so I've culled a few poor CD32 titles, and the Lemon Amiga average is about 7.6), as well as making sure various games will be playable with joypad alone (even if keyboard is needed for a handful of functions, such as level passwords). I'm up to around 170 games on that version, I'll release when I'm at about 200.
Old 09 June 2020, 11:08   #64
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

I've re-download & re-extracted the files and all seems ok. I don't know from where this yellow screen was appearing because i don't have any error when extracting or copying.

EDIT: The Problem could be that i use a 32GB Gb SD card with 2nd and 3rd partitions >4Gb, and games are in the 2nd partition, so perhaps a patched rom with an updated scsi.device could resolve this

A question : is you skick trick able to run any iso file on a CD32 (without CD tracks of course )?
I wonder if i can run all those fantastic CD32 compilations from HD with your menu.

I'll give it a try

Last edited by Rochabian; 09 June 2020 at 12:55.
Old 09 June 2020, 13:25   #65
earok

Some of them may work and some of them may not - give them a try you could try copying the Beneath a Steel Sky folder and making the adjustments to the 'tempboot' file. (Or otherwise, it might just work if you overwrite bass.iso)

If you've actually burned the discs, you may be able to run them from "Load CD" on the menu (though if you've burned them, then there's no reason why you can't boot them normally I suppose)
Old 11 June 2020, 11:27   #66
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

I've found that on Microcosm, if i press the RED button on title screen, the intro doesn't start and get stuck on the CD image. If i press the GREEN button instead, intro launch in the "fullscreen mode" and then i can play . I've found that if you have a real nvram save for microcosm, then if you launch Microcosm the first time, it works, but when you launch it a second time after playing a bit (when it as written a save in folder NV_Saves on HD ) it's stuck on CD image, even if i press the RED or GREEN button.
I think this game is the hardest from all the CD32 library to be run from HDD
Old 14 June 2020, 04:15   #67
earok

Yeah.. I've actually dropped Microcosm (as well as all games with a below 6 score on Lemon Amiga) from the next build. It's not really worth it, both in difficulty running it and in terms of space that it uses up on the image.
Old 23 June 2020, 15:33   #68
Bren McGuire

Where can we download this alone so we can make our own game setups?
And does this read games off a file or does it generate the list in real time? The second might be too slow.
Old 26 June 2020, 03:05   #69
earok

Sorry for the delay.

I haven't yet made a standalone version (though it's possible to download the one that's there and delete all of the games )

It doesn't use file lists. It just looks at the folder structure (so, if you've got a folder called "games\shadow of the beast", it'll recognise shadow of the beast as a game). It then either expects "shadow of the beast.slave" in that folder to boot it as a WHDLoad game, or a "runme" script file if it needs to run outside of whdload (or with special customs etc).
Old 26 June 2020, 13:41   #70
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

I've found that the game list should be fully populated (20 games or more i think )
If you use the menu with less games, game names are duplicated (rolling list), and then doesn't launch
BTW, who wants to use it with less than 20 games ?
I've discovered this when tryng to fix Microcosm and i have deleted all other games folder to test
Old 14 July 2020, 01:35   #71
quantum8

This project looks amazing! Downloading it now so i can test it out in the next few days.
Old 14 July 2020, 09:38   #72
str0m

Chaos Engine....I just get a black screen running that with my TF330, doesn't like the fast ram I think, tried disk and whdload, perhaps the latest (or just newer than what I have) slave fixes it, will have to work out how to update it

This collection looks good, will pick up another card as I only use my CD32 for games really. Actually, it needs Xtreme Racing as that is my most played game lol, I think DamineD or perhaps you did the ~22 meg "ultimate" collection? Was playing that last night
Old 09 August 2020, 15:47   #73
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by str0m View Post
Actually, it needs Xtreme Racing as that is my most played game lol, I think DamineD or perhaps you did the ~22 meg "ultimate" collection? Was playing that last night
Definitely not me, I don't do CD32 compilations...
Old 24 October 2020, 02:01   #74
quantum8

Finally getting around to testing this out and as str0m said, I get a lot of games that either blank out or fail to get into the game itself. Desert Strike, Soccer Kid are examples of this. BaSS exits with "not enough memory" error.
The load menu had lots of corruption on some characters.
As basic troubleshooting, I've tried adding MMU.lib and 030.lib which seemed to alleviate some of the corruption somehow, but didn't affect being able to load more games.

It's a great start with this compilation though...it has a lot of potential!
Old 31 October 2020, 11:10   #75
earok

New update posted to start of thread. Desert Strike is fixed, can't replicate issue with Soccer Kid (seems to work on my real CD32+TF328) but I may have accidentally fixed it one way or another.
Old 03 November 2020, 23:07   #76
Cobe

Hi Erik!
I finally found some time to test this( at least in winuae). Alls dandy, I like it.
But...
My 8gb cf card seems to be few sectors shorter then yours. Thats what win32img told me. Also told that that extra data seems to be blank so I can continue if I want which I did.
Now, when I mount cf I can see vol1: and dh1:uninitialized.
So I guess I'm missing half of the games?
Old 04 November 2020, 00:14   #77
fgh

Cobe:Sounds like it uses pfs3aio file system, which checks that last block is accessible before mounting partition.

Earok: Cards vary significantly in size, so if you just image your card, this will happen to many users. One solution is to create image from a slightly smaller WinUAE partition.
If you use a real card to create the image, you could override the drive size in hdtoolbox or make sure the last partition does not extend to the very end of the card.
Old 04 November 2020, 02:30   #78
earok

Thanks Cobe! There's no games on Vol2 (which I left empty more or less so anyone can just fill it up). All 200 are on Vol1, hopefully they'll be there any working. It might be worth testing a few random games to see if they work.

FGH: I hadn't considered that there's slightly different sizes of CF cards that are advertised as 8GB, I'll keep that in mind for the next update.
Old 04 November 2020, 09:25   #79
Cobe

Ah thanks. I did test a few and added a few and everything works fine.

@fgh
I might try pfs doctor just to see if it'll recover partition. However, as its empty I might just format it.
Old 04 November 2020, 09:45   #80
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobe View Post
Ah thanks. I did test a few and added a few and everything works fine.
Great! Out of curiosity, what did you add?