English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 11 January 2020, 00:37   #1
sparhawk

GUI Debugger wishlist

Since I'm using the GUI debugger rather frequently I would like to improve it a little bit when I have time and in the mood for it. Mostly I want to focus on Amiga programming, but since I find this a really useful tool I would want to help to improve it. Especially considering that this is something that has no priority for Toni anyway.

So I would like to know if Toni accepts bigger changes on this, and if this would be of interest to people. And if yes, then what would be some features people would most want to have.

I for one want to look into improving the display, when a breakpoint hits. For example, currently the memory display always goes back to 0 and it has to be set manually again.

Another cool feature would be to import symbols from a binary.
Old 11 January 2020, 09:47   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I don't care what happens with the GUI debugger, I don't support it and I also have never used it. Do what you want as long as you remember that all the debugger low level options should use debug.cpp features. (EDIT: because it has too hardwired GUI which makes it really annoying to use. Unfortunately there is no simple framework for MSVC like multi window system)

You can already have symbols loaded when using uaedbg to load the executable. I don't see how the debugger can help because you can't load any executables directly from emulator. At least if you want it to run like normal AmigaDOS process.
Old 11 January 2020, 16:11   #3
sparhawk

I haven't looked into it yet, but I think WinuAE is a great thing, and with a userfriendly debugger it's even more powerfull. I know that the GUI debugger can not load processes as it doesn't know about the OS it runs, but I figure, it should be able to map addresses to symbols, once a task is loaded inside AmigaOS.

MSVC is a pain, that's right.
Old 21 January 2020, 14:38   #4
ref

well, I am very interested in GUI debugger. Possibly because I'm used to debuggers from z80 emulators.

As Toni said, it's kind of hard to use a debugger on a multitasking system, and he said it's written by somebody else, yet debugger proves useful in the past.

Thus, I take any improvement on debugger. (eg. breakpoints at the *end* of disk access )
Old 21 January 2020, 15:46   #5
sparhawk

How is that identified? I suppose it's some interrupt that triggers. That's probably a feature which may not just be interesting to the GUI debugger, but the regular one as well.