English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 18 January 2011, 08:58   #21
Graham Humphrey

Nice!
Old 18 January 2011, 09:03   #22
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

I miss imagine... I really REALLY enjoyed that program!

I just found it had a better modeler / creator.

spent way to much youth on that program... loved every minute creating all manor of things... from space vehicles to caves and mansions.... optimizing and becoming point-specific just to get the most out of the machine and the available RAM..

man I miss it....
Old 18 January 2011, 11:46   #23
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
thats some nice renders you got there watertonian

I remember when I had my 10MB of ram in the A1200 I could`t load the model of the enterprise never mind render it
Old 18 January 2011, 21:10   #24
watertonian
2 1200s in Wisconsin

Send a message via AIM to watertonian Send a message via Yahoo to watertonian
@Zetr0
I vaguely remember Imagine, I'll have to tinker with it a bit more. Lightwave seems to be entertaining me (a bit too much according to the wife) for now, though. :-D

@cosmicfrog
Yeah, that wouldn't work too well. Plus if its a 020, re-building a life-size model with a welding torch and scrap metal would be quicker. Luckily, 192MB seems enough for a 1280x768 pic with Enterprise A, D, and the full Babylon 5 station. Though even with a 060, it was a case of hit "render", go to bed, and check on it in the morning.
Old 19 January 2011, 03:39   #25
Slayer
Amiga Member

I used Imagine back in the day to actually model houses I even was part of that pre-payment scheme where they sent you Imagine 4.x at the end when it was completed...

If you choose to use Imagine also get your hands on a book written by Steve Worley called Understanding Imagine 2.0

In a word "Priceless"
Old 21 January 2011, 17:46   #26
Amigaman

I too have always been an Imagine man. I would have loved to have tried Lightwave, but never could have afforded it.

I was on the imagine 5.x ACUP to v6 but that was many years ago, and never reached v6 as far as I remember. Got to about 5.15 or 5.16. Any idea if this ever went any further?
Old 21 January 2011, 19:18   #27
mds

A iso image of Monzoom 3d can be found on the Amiga-Future Page
Other 3d progs like Lightwave, Tornado3d might be found on a well known
FTP server
Tornado3 V3 is quite buggy try version 2 instead.
Lightwave is the best with most plugins.
Old 22 January 2011, 04:39   #28
Slayer
Amiga Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigaman View Post
Any idea if this ever went any further?
Join the mailing list and ask the question?

http://lists.imaginefa.com/listinfo....-imaginefa.com

There hasn't been any traffic for a long time however

Last time I spoke on the list was when I was enquiring about PPC support...
Old 08 February 2011, 18:46   #29
watertonian
2 1200s in Wisconsin

Finally got a workable TNG bridge, after a couple of sketchup downloads. (http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...c7&prevstart=0 and http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...46&prevstart=0 ), and some tinkering in Meshlab. The second isn't complete, the first is a really tiny object hidden in the bridge of the larger object, and suffers some weird modelling techniques. But I was able to rip all the "furniture" that was missing out of the second from the first, and set up a lightwave scene. I really wish interchange liked the wavefront exports from the various ruby scripts I've found, but the only one that works takes forever to convert for the size of models I like to download. The Vorcha class klingons ship I downloaded ( http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...05&prevstart=0 ) took longer to convert than to render.

Last edited by watertonian; 28 February 2011 at 14:29.
Old 22 October 2011, 00:08   #30
blueprint

I did a lot of raytracing in Imagine on the Amiga back in the old days, and I'm thinking of picking up the habit again. Just installed the PPC version and it seems a lot more friendly than the old 'orange' versions.

I actually purchased a a copy of Tornado 3D, it must have been in 1999 or 2000, just before Eyelight went bust. The PPC version was really fast, though I remember there were problems getting it to run under WarpOS with PowerUp emulation. There was a dongle protection, and I'm not sure the hardware is still functioning, I havent run it for a few years. T3D had a very nice user- interface, but lacked a spline editor.

Never tried Lightwave though I did use its predecessor a little, Modeler 3D, which was featured on the 1995 March issue of CU Amiga. It had a very handy mirroring effect which would speed up the modelling process a lot. I installed it a while ago and it proved to be very system friendly, running with no problems whatsoever on my OS3.9- installation with a voodoo graphics card.

Another must-have is Pixel 3D Professional which can convert back and forth between a dozen of 3D file formats. I picked up a copy on eBay complete with manual for next to nothing recently. I should probably scan the manual when I can find time to do it... even though it's a very straightforward tool to use and needs no further explaination if it's going to be used for object conversion only. Version 1.04 was featured on Amiga Format coverdisk 65A, November 1994 issue. There is also a 2.x version, but it had problems with opening its screen when started from workbench, maybe it will work when booting from floppy, didn't try that.

As for Imagine, well say no more. Even though it may not have been the most intuitive 3D program of its day, it sure was the most readily available. CU had both 3.0 and 4.0 as coverdisk. And they ran their Imagine tutorials as well, which helped a lot with getting into the business.

Old 02 December 2011, 19:44   #31
StevenMarshall

Anyone managed to get Real 3D v3.0 running on WinUAE?

I've installed it (available from here) - all i'm getting is an error:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.gif
Views:	1294
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	29998  
Old 02 December 2011, 21:11   #32
Leffmann

FPU or higher CPU requirement probably.
Old 03 December 2011, 15:27   #33
StevenMarshall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
FPU or higher CPU requirement probably.
Fixed.

Thanks!
Old 29 December 2011, 14:13   #34
diablothe2nd

oh wow, as per my nostalgia thread on Real 3D, I've been a user of the free coverdisk version for donkeys years.

THanks for pointing out the latest and final version! will be installing that as soon as i've scoffed my brunch
Old 29 December 2011, 15:10   #35
marcfrick2112
Amiga Fanatic

Well, I am only a Lightwave user.... Don't get me wrong, I do like Imagine, but have trouble getting good renders.. One cool thing about LW, is that every scene will have a 'default light'. FAR too many times I have rendered a black screen in Imagine, cuz I am so used to LW! LOL!

Also, Lightwave 5 does support Picasso II, iirc... Tho, honestly, you get far more flexibility saving as 24-bit frames, and then using e.g. Rend24, or ImageF/X to convert, or assemble an .ANIM, etc...

My 2 pixels!
Old 29 December 2011, 18:30   #36
watertonian
2 1200s in Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcfrick2112 View Post
Well, I am only a Lightwave user.... Don't get me wrong, I do like Imagine, but have trouble getting good renders.. One cool thing about LW, is that every scene will have a 'default light'. FAR too many times I have rendered a black screen in Imagine, cuz I am so used to LW! LOL!

Also, Lightwave 5 does support Picasso II, iirc... Tho, honestly, you get far more flexibility saving as 24-bit frames, and then using e.g. Rend24, or ImageF/X to convert, or assemble an .ANIM, etc...

My 2 pixels!
Yeah, I've pretty much stuck to Lightwave. Seems really convenient to deal with, thouh the default lighting always goes to a spotlight, when I usually prefer a point. I suppose I could install a plugin to save something other than iff, but I usually have profesional paint open in the background for textures if I need to convert it. My bigest probs are the p96 option crashing on my Mediator, and the layout screen insisting on AGA screenmodes. So I'm constantly flipping between video and vga input on the flatscreen. Other than that, its come up with some nice results!
Old 06 August 2012, 00:39   #37
klx300r

Big grin

@ watertonian

bringing back this old thread

did a search on Lightwave Amiga nd your cool renders came up been meaning to get back into LW for many moons now and just yesterday got the itch! can you recommend a good tutorial manual as I can't seem to get a hold of the excellent waveguide manual that used to be available.
Old 06 August 2012, 04:33   #38
watertonian
2 1200s in Wisconsin

I just installed it and started tinkering, really. I started off by converting Google Sketchup objects to Lightwave (Using the free sketchup obj-exporter ruby script, Meshlab, then interchange), and playing around with them.
Didn't like the modeller at first, went with PolyWog for that (aminet), and again used interchange to convert that into .lw objects.
As for tutorials, I think youtube has some. Varying from screen-caps of winuae sessions to digitized vhs tutorial tapes (with NO image retouching, I might add. Either that, or they pointed a webcam at their TV from 20 feet away on a foggy day, and zoomed in...). In that regard, you'll probably want to avoid the lightwave sessions on my Youtube page, as they were really just me being bored and playing with a new toy (easycap framegrabber).
Old 26 August 2012, 01:44   #39
watertonian
2 1200s in Wisconsin

Got bored...

Last edited by watertonian; 26 August 2012 at 01:48. Reason: typo
Old 26 August 2012, 01:50   #40
watertonian
2 1200s in Wisconsin

Can't remember if I put any of these on this forum yet..