English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 22 February 2015, 18:58   #1
sev7en

Floppy disk MacOS and AMIGA Emulation: The BEST Emulator... is?

Dear All,
first of all................, yes you deserve it, it is a wonderful community for a wonderful world.

I would ask you which one is the best emulator available for Mac OS X (Yosemite) if there is any specific thread to look for settings, tweaks and suggests.

Thanks and W AMIGA
Old 22 February 2015, 20:24   #2
Nekoniaow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sev7en View Post
Dear All,
first of all................, yes you deserve it, it is a wonderful community for a wonderful world.

I would ask you which one is the best emulator available for Mac OS X (Yosemite) if there is any specific thread to look for settings, tweaks and suggests.

Thanks and W AMIGA
If you google "mac os x amiga emulator" (https://www.google.ca/search?client=...JOzE8geG24DIBw),
you will find that the first result is actually the only viable Amiga emulator option on OS X Yosemite: FS-UAE which is actively maintained by Frode Solheim (hence the FS). Also it's quite good.
Coincidentally, its support forum is also hosted by the English Amiga Board.

In the past there were several others but their maintainers were apparently too anemic to follow up with WinUAE's updates (that's the reference version of UAE). Frode on the other hand seems to be competent and motivated enough to last several decades.

The emulator: http://fs-uae.net
The support forum on EAB: http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=122

Last edited by Nekoniaow; 23 February 2015 at 02:22. Reason: Reformulated to avoid unintentional sarcasm.
Old 22 February 2015, 20:27   #3
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekoniaow View Post
You know about this Google thing right?
Please refrain from this generic answer if a user asks about opinions when several options exist. Thank you.
Old 22 February 2015, 21:08   #4
Nekoniaow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Please refrain from this generic answer if a user asks about opinions when several options exist. Thank you.
Didn't I take care to point to the result and give a properly supported answer (two paragraphs).
Where is the generic answer you are referring to?

As for the introductory humour, Google is a useful tool, and pointing out that it can be used is also a useful answer if the original poster didn't think of doing it.
"Teach a man to fish" they say.

I would never write something which might dissuade a newcomer, and I stand by my opinion that my answer was helpful.

With love and kittens.
Old 22 February 2015, 21:31   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekoniaow View Post
Where is the generic answer you are referring to?
Right there in your first sentence. As funny as it might seem to you, it's utterly pointless if the user doesn't ask for 'where can I find [x] on the internet'.

Really, it's just not worth opening your post like that
Old 23 February 2015, 02:17   #6
Nekoniaow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Right there in your first sentence. As funny as it might seem to you, it's utterly pointless if the user doesn't ask for 'where can I find [x] on the internet'.

Really, it's just not worth opening your post like that
I still disagree that this initial sentence is pointless but I agree that using it at the opening sentence might act as an off putting cold shower for a newcomer so I have taken that into account and reformulated it in a hopefully more friendly manner.

Thanks for your comment!

Last edited by Nekoniaow; 23 February 2015 at 02:23.
Old 23 February 2015, 14:13   #7
sev7en

Good afternoon,
thanks to all for the feedbacks. I was disappointed of the "initial sentence" of Mr.Nekonaiow because if we have to "ask to Google" we can close the forums as not necessary.
If I asked to you it's because, you are not Google but a community, then Mr.Nekoniaow maybe in Montreal there's a different way to take care of the things.

After that... I will do full immersion on that great world as I love the retrogaming area.

Kindly,
Old 23 February 2015, 14:27   #8
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Wouldn't the better option, if you must use MacOS, be to run WinUAE via WINE?
Old 23 February 2015, 17:51   #9
sev7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
Hi,
I would like to use only native Mac applications... without any Windows' porting.
Old 23 February 2015, 17:54   #10
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

That's a strange attitude to take, as the Amiga programs you would be running are not "native Mac applications" anyway...
Old 23 February 2015, 19:07   #11
Nekoniaow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
Wine is far from being complete enough to properly run WinUAE acceptably.
Also, it comes with all kind of subtle configuration issues which a proper adaptation like FS-UAE does not have since it's designed to be multiplatform.
Old 23 February 2015, 19:22   #12
fgh

Use FS-UAE. It's the only recently developed emulator for Mac.
It uses the WinUAE emulation core, so it's just as precise.
Old 24 February 2015, 00:37   #13
sev7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgh View Post
Good evening,
thanks, it is the one only updated I found but it looks less customizable than WinUAE as well with just a bunch of features.
Old 24 February 2015, 00:41   #14
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sev7en View Post
Good evening,
thanks, it is the one only updated I found but it looks less customizable than WinUAE as well with just a bunch of features.
The GUI for FS-UAE lacks a lot of the options that are available if you specify them in the config files. Have a look here about which options are available (there are still more that aren't documented): http://fs-uae.net/options
Old 24 February 2015, 05:25   #15
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgh View Post
FS-UAE is great, if you just want to just emulate all the Amiga models without the millions of hardware add-ons for it. Problem is, it takes Frode forever to release a development version for it, and whenever he releases a new version, it's only bug fixes and no additions. The last feature he added was the Toccata sound card.

FS-UAE mainly relies on you having to mess around with config files if you want to emulate a particular piece of hardware/feature. All the options that FS-UAE supports are mentioned here. However, there are no descriptions for some of these (which you can see near the bottom of the page), and I already asked if if you want to emulate the FPU, whether you put fpu = 68030 or fpu = 68881. The point is that I don't think he updates it.

Sorry, I like WinUAE better. Toni has put a lot of effort into it so far.

Last edited by B14ck W01f; 24 February 2015 at 05:33.
Old 25 February 2015, 14:50   #16
sev7en

Once again, thanks! I have a lot to read as I see but the best experience in the AMIGA world is with WinUAE...
Old 25 February 2015, 15:19   #17
LeftyFPB

There's an app called Hi-Toro. It was a front-end for E-UAE, which is apparently no longer being developed for Intel Macs. However, Hi-Toro still works, since it's an AppleScript app. It has a lot of configuration options that are missing from FS-UAE; you can use it to generate config files that work in FS-UAE.
Old 25 February 2015, 18:18   #18
sev7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyFPB View Post
There's an app called Hi-Toro. It was a front-end for E-UAE, which is apparently no longer being developed for Intel Macs. However, Hi-Toro still works, since it's an AppleScript app. It has a lot of configuration options that are missing from FS-UAE; you can use it to generate config files that work in FS-UAE.
Thanks and another suggest: which one is the best platform to set as default? The Amiga 1200 or should I change it according to the app/games I want run?
Old 25 February 2015, 22:54   #19
LuMan
Amigan - an' lovin' it!!

Since getting a new Mac (with Yosemite) I've gone for FS-UAE as it's the only one I can get working properly! It takes a bit of setting up, but once you've added all your favourite configurations of Amiga into the Launcher it seems to work OK.

I've got the usual A500 for playing games, and a nice A1200 with a load of extras for emulating more serious stuff.

However, I did like the config files used by E-UAE and P-UAE. I had an almost perfect replica of my A1200T in P-UAE

Hope you get something up and running soon, Sev7en
Old 26 February 2015, 14:11   #20
sev7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuMan View Post
Since getting a new Mac (with Yosemite) I've gone for FS-UAE as it's the only one I can get working properly! It takes a bit of setting up, but once you've added all your favourite configurations of Amiga into the Launcher it seems to work OK.

I've got the usual A500 for playing games, and a nice A1200 with a load of extras for emulating more serious stuff.

However, I did like the config files used by E-UAE and P-UAE. I had an almost perfect replica of my A1200T in P-UAE

Hope you get something up and running soon, Sev7en
Dear LuMan,
thanks.... did you know which one I will play as first? Operation Stealth