Peanutuk

good idea but my vote is no.
What's the point?
I mean really......just say no kids.

Have you got nothing better to do?
Old 12 August 2003, 01:29   #22
Amiga1992

Simply: NO

Animated avatars are lame, a waste of resources, and they distract the eye.
Old 12 August 2003, 01:54   #23
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

hear hear, we should be grateful enough that RCK has allowed a changing daily logo especially because of the bandwidth reasons

Old 12 August 2003, 10:31   #24
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Lightbulb

One thing that could avoid the bandwidth issue would be to only allow offsite avatars. If you implemented that right now RCK I bet your bandwidth usage would half......

Last edited by Enverex; 12 August 2003 at 11:28.
Old 12 August 2003, 11:21   #25
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Quote:
Originally posted by NightShade737
One thing that could avoid the bandwidth issue would be to only allow offsite avatars. If you implemented that right now RCK I bet your bandwidth usage would half......

NS
....and we'd have threads full of broken images, because people would put avatars on their Geocities accounts, post some stuff, leave the forum and then have their webspace deleted for inactivity. Their posts with their avatar image links remaining here.
Old 12 August 2003, 11:28   #26
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Creosote
....and we'd have threads full of broken images, because people would put avatars on their Geocities accounts, post some stuff, leave the forum and then have their webspace deleted for inactivity. Their posts with their avatar image links remaining here.
Geocities, Netfirms and Tripod don't allow remote linking at all anyway. Plus who cares about them anyway, it's not like their threads would stay at the top......
Old 12 August 2003, 16:16   #27
IanS

Sorry Fisken, but people will always get a first impression, avatar or no. It's unavoidable. I would rather people get that impression from what I say, than a picture. Let's face it, many avatars are nondescript, or may even give false impressions. Besides, you could always choose an interesting USERNAME... that can do the same job. I'm going to change my name to...

(drum role)

Dangermouse! The greatest superhero of them all.
Old 12 August 2003, 17:11   #28
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

he's the ace
he's amazing
he's the strongest, he's the quickest, he's the best.
dangermouse

he's terrific,
he's magnific,
he's the greatest secret agent in the world.
dangermouse, power house,
he's the fastest, he's the bravest, he's the best.

Apparently
Old 12 August 2003, 17:15   #29
Frootloop

False impression? What do you mean? I look just like my avatar!
Old 12 August 2003, 17:23   #30
IanS

Killer... you aren't by any chance my faithful friend Penfold in disguise?

Or maybe it's a ruse to trap me, dreamt up by that arch villain Baron Greenback and his evil crony Stiletto! You'll never outwit me you cad... Dangermouse will prevail.

Old 12 August 2003, 17:38   #31
woody57

Thumbs down nice work ...but ...

...one of the reasons I,m still on this forum is I really like to read through and think about the view points of the posts in thread ... I dont bother with over long attachment and animated avatar sites its too hard to take some things seriously .. when your attension is being drawn away from what your reading by anims ..... hell thats to me like popups !.... a visual nuisance . But then the question of conection speed and thus the stalling as pages load { I,m on broadband BUT others arnt } I can,t say I don,t like the scaled down work but Couldn,t it be an option ? like the still avatars we agree / diagree to use ?
Old 12 August 2003, 17:41   #32
woody57

See I was RIGHT !

.... with all that flashing I failed to see Bippymans exact same point about making it an option !
Old 12 August 2003, 18:10   #33
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Stragely enough I do base 1st impressions on Avatars, but would just find the animated ones annoying, and then class the person as inconsiderate to 56k users due to the filesize

NS
Old 12 August 2003, 18:36   #34
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Of course the avatar is the main source for the first impression, though Ian won't admit it.

Ok Ian I'll give you a hypothetical example; Let's say a person registers to this board as a user and chooses an avatar consisting of a swastika (not that he would be allowed to, but let's say he would). Would you still base your first impression of him on his posts? I don't think so, you would think of him as 'that nazi bitch'. Yeah, it's an extreme example - most avatars don't signal such extreme values, but if your avatar is a character from a game people will assume it might be your favorite game... If you have a crazee avatar they'll believe you're a crazy guy. Not that these impressions can't be changed over time, but I still believe they are important.

If you mention Gary, I'll think of his crazy (scary?) avatar, if you mention Fred I'll think of a couple of different crazy avatars. They function as your face and body do in your "real" life, and you can't deny that THAT influences how people treat you. I like avatars.
Old 12 August 2003, 19:56   #35
IanS

So Fisken... I don't have an avatar, therefore you can't make a first impression? Oh deary me. I didn't say that people WOULD NOT use the Avatar to make a first impression. I said that people always make a first impression whether you have one or not. You either misunderstood what I said, or you believe we can only base impressions on pictures.

Assuming a person uses an Avatar, if that person puts up a picture of an angel, but has a username of "sonofhitler"... what impression would you gain from that?

I will repeat, for those that are hard of thinking :

I would rather people form an impression of me based on something I had written, rather than from a small picture next to my name, as a single picture cannot in any way accurately describe me as a person.

Swastickers? Sorry to be pedantic, but I take issue with you on your example. The Roman empire were using that symbol the best part of 2000 years before the Nazi party, and it didn't represent anything nasty at that time. To allude that swastickers are only synonomous with Nazis is erronious. I can't tell you of it's pre-Roman use though

Anyway, enough pedantic ramblings. Have fun with your avatar and be happy.
Old 12 August 2003, 20:00   #36
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by IanS
Assuming a person uses an Avatar, if that person puts up a picture of an angel, but has a username of "sonofhitler"... what impression would you gain from that?
Wierd person to watch out for, possible trouble maker. Generally uselss.
Old 12 August 2003, 20:07   #37
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Yeah, I agree that the username will also help to form people's first impression of you.

I didn't say that people WON'T form an impression of you if you don't have an avatar. Of course it's true as you say that you'll have to rely on the posts to form yr first impression of a person who doesn't have an avatar. However I didn't either say that the first impression is static. You might feel that an avatar is unnecessary but many feel it's an aid to present yourself the way you want to. Kind of.

Yeah, I know about Roman empire and swastikas etc etc but people in general will relate this symbol to nazi germany. Fair or not? It's sadly quite often like that; Symbols are stolen and used for purposes that wasn't at all originally intended. The same goes in sweden where nazis have "stolen" the swedish flag and national anthem. They don't sing the national anthem in schools because it's considered racist. Kinda weird.
Old 12 August 2003, 20:23   #38
BippyM
Global Moderator

Does it really matter that much?

I think it is irrelevant whether someone has an avatar or not, its down to the individual in the end.. but yes Avatars can be used for religion and politicalness, so that should not be tolerated.. but generally they are harmless.. and only say a little about a certain person

stop this silly petty debate over avatars!!!
Old 12 August 2003, 20:30   #39
fisken uno
Zone Friend

No, it doesn't. I have not said that people HAVE TO use avatars. Only that they matter somehow. Of course it's up to each and everyone to have an avatar or not
Old 12 August 2003, 23:30   #40
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by NightShade737
lol,
no I don't think so
some 5k files won't break my bandwidth.
(imagine what HOL is sucking instead)

moreover, broken images are not what I prefer to see when reading one board.