English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 05 July 2017, 05:50   #1
Prosonic

elbox mediator 1200 - lan setup

hay all ive been playing with a mediator 1200 that came in a power tower I got, setup has been a challenge to say the least

spec is blizzard 1260 060@66mhz 128mb ram, fast ata, voodoo 3, lan, sb128, dual dvd, 80gb ide on pfs3, workbench 3.9 no rom update, BB3

with no manuals or software for anything its been a lot of touch and go with the 1260 library's etc

I have rtg working with the voodoo3, mediator jumpers as 4mb, config & wait open, voodoo set to use 12 lan 0

when I run genesis wizard I choose network it locks the system on sending bootTP command, I have no idea if the card I have is good or not but the chipset is compatible list, the lan card that came with it does the same, pci slot makes no difference

any ideas where to go next im using mm_up_2.2 files to get it going
Old 05 July 2017, 10:11   #2
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

See here for starters:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=83531
Old 05 July 2017, 11:59   #3
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Any specific reason for the jumper being at 4Mb - are you using the PCMCIA slot?
Old 05 July 2017, 14:06   #4
Prosonic

from memory one of the setup wizards said set it to 4mb maybe I selected yes to pcmcia slot bit at this point im not using it
Old 05 July 2017, 15:43   #5
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Yeah, if you are using PCMCIA it'll tell you to set it to 4MB - otherwise the Mediator and PCMCIA device both try and use the same address space. If you're not using PCMCIA it's best to have it at 8MB, as that lets the Mediator have the full 8MB address space to work with when dealing with your PCI cards.

I'm unsure if Fastethernet cards will work unless you have it set to 8MB to be honest, can't quite remember what the manual suggests there.
Old 05 July 2017, 16:40   #6
Daedalus

If RTG and your 060 are currently working fine, then it's only a matter of the correct driver and the correct card. Is it definitely a Realtek 8139 10/100 card? What does PCIInfo say about the network card? Fast ethernet requires some of the Voodoo's memory to be allocated for DMA - from memory this is an Env variable that is set using an installer-type configuration too.

What version of the Mediator is it? The very earliest version needed to be upgraded before it could use fast ethernet and sound cards. Also, BB3 might be a source of problems - I would try a clean OS3.9 BB2 setup to try and rule out as much as possible.
Old 06 July 2017, 05:35   #7
Prosonic

without having it in front of me its just a mediator 1200 ill get the PCIinfo and change the jumper, is there a way to tell if its been upgraded or not? it did come with a network card one would assume it used to work, I did make a backup of 3.9 without BB installed just the voodoo so this is an option I can explore as well
Old 06 July 2017, 09:45   #8
Daedalus

The upgraded version has a couple of the chips replaced, and the replacements originally had small stickers on them showing they were for the multimedia version. Yeah, if it was used with those cards before I'm sure they must've worked at some stage - without the upgrade, only 10Mb cards would work.

PCIInfo output would be helpful
Old 06 July 2017, 15:48   #9
Prosonic

going off the above info I got it to work turns out I have the non upgraded mach chips so I wound back to the standard non mmcd driver used the mediatornet.device with a 10base network config and im up and running, I think it wasn't showing a hardware id error just locking up the system.

guess I need to go down the mm_cd road with hardware key to get the faster nic's work with sound as well then usb down the track having said that do I go the spider card or RR usb, I have the RR usb on my 1200 desktop and the RR just works I hear the spider can be a pain?

either way thankyou all its been a battle
Old 06 July 2017, 15:56   #10
Daedalus

Ah, glad it's something simple enough anyway. Elbox should be able to sell you the upgrade for not too much I'd have thought, there can't be too many people with original Mediators to upgrade these days.

I've no experience with the Spider, but it is simply a standard PCI USB card with a modified ID value - there are people around who can make the same modification to certain cheap PC cards if you wanted to go that route. software-wise I don't know if there are many issues, but as a USB solution it should be much faster than the clockport route anyway if that was a concern.