English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > Amiga websites reviews

Old 29 December 2007, 14:49   #1
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Updates for Classic Amiga

This thread is to list updates for Classic Amiga.

Firstly, in the Wings of Fury entry someone has accidentally copied the HOL qualifying region (Rest of the world) next to the publisher. Oops!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ClassicAmiga.png
Views:	319
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	15636   Click image for larger version

Name:	HOL.png
Views:	325
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	15637  
Old 29 December 2007, 15:12   #2
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

http://www.classicamiga.com/content/view/541/96/

WWF Wrestlemania - the musician should be Sean Conran, not Sean Conrad. I
fixed it in the HOL entry earlier this year and it should also be fixed in Classic Amiga too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ClassicAmiga0.png
Views:	241
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	15644  

Last edited by CodyJarrett; 29 December 2007 at 15:23.
Old 29 December 2007, 15:17   #3
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Aladdin screens, box scans, disk scan and misc images.

I grabbed the HOL screens and scanned the box and floppy, but they also seem to be in Classic Amiga.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HOL2.png
Views:	269
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	15640   Click image for larger version

Name:	ClassicAmiga2.png
Views:	268
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	15641  
Old 29 December 2007, 15:20   #4
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Code name Hell Squad

There's a bit of a problem here with the foreign characters:

http://www.classicamiga.com/content/view/1330/96/

It might be worth comparing it to the HOL entry for accuracy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ClassicAmiga3.png
Views:	250
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	15642   Click image for larger version

Name:	HOL3.png
Views:	256
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	15643  
Old 26 June 2008, 16:16   #5
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

It's disappointing not to have received any thanks from the Classic Amiga team for these updates. Someone has changed these so they have obviously taken note.
Old 26 June 2008, 17:26   #6
Ian
Global Moderator

Did they thank you for using the information in the first place.

I don't recall they did, maybe it's their way
Old 26 June 2008, 18:27   #7
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

petty.....
Old 26 June 2008, 19:04   #8
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
petty.....
Tip of the iceberg.
Old 27 June 2008, 02:31   #9
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

still petty
Old 27 June 2008, 09:47   #10
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Could you apply your high moralising to the following (hypothetical) situation?

Mr H. Ford wants to upgrade his website and include a larger games section. However, there's a catch. He's a lazy bugger and doesn't wish to spend his free time building it up from scratch. Hark! What's that? Someone has extracted a dump of Hall of Light data and distributed it. Problem solved!

The site's up and running now but there's another problem. They've got no scans or screenshots. Time to visit the Hall of Light and Lemon Amiga and start downloading scans and screenshots.

What's this? The HOL team have written an email asking them to stop plagiarising. Mr Ford must do the following:

* Deny everything.
* Claim that the data was gathered in two months (!)
* Request a list of scans and screens that taken from the HOL site, then ignore the list and claim that the same person contributed to both sites (even though in some cases that was one of the HOL team).
* Do nothing.
* Add a Christmas update to the site. Use some HOL screenshots for this. When the HOL team emails again remove the screenshots but do not acknowledge it.
* Stop replying to emails.
* Accidentally copy part of the HOL interface text during a copy and paste session. When this and other evidence is posted on the EAB quietly remove it from the site and acknowledge nothing.
* Don't, under any circumstances, credit the HOL team as the number one contributor on the site.
Old 27 June 2008, 10:06   #11
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Cody,

I am not getting in to what is basically a dick larger than / pissing contest... its pathetic beyond the extreme, build bridges m8, not wars..
Old 27 June 2008, 10:14   #12
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Please then use your influence with your friends to have them do the courtesy of replying to my emails.

I have ALWAYS tried to "build bridges" and you will please note that the HOL works with and links to numerous sites including Lemon Amiga, Amiga Memo, ExoticA, SPS and Recorded Amiga Games and WHDLoad.
Old 27 June 2008, 10:39   #13
Ian
Global Moderator

It's very easy for someone who has contributed NOTHING to HOL to take the "who cares" approach.

I haven't contributed much, but if these lazy fucktards cannot even credit HOL in some way then they shouldn't be supported by anyone.

It's not good manners or acceptable behaviour.

If one person was walking in front of you all the time, and every time they let an open door go in your face, you'd soon be pissed off enough about it to either say something about it or if you are a hot head, punch them in the face.

Why the fuck should Cody build bridges with people that are taking his work of 10+ years without so much as a thank you?
Old 27 June 2008, 13:09   #14
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Cody,

I am not getting in to what is basically a dick larger than / pissing contest... its pathetic beyond the extreme, build bridges m8, not wars..
I dont get to quote myself that often, so when I do its because the point i made fell on deaf ears....

my *influence* as you put it, is friendship, I offer it to you too Cody, even I dissagree with how YOU run HOL and other matters pertaining to claiming ownership of non-copyright-able data, but this is an argument, that you refuse to even contemplate....

With HOL / Classic Amiga out of the question you a pretty nice kinda guy.

within fairness, all you have is suppositions as to where this other data comes from, yes I admit there are LOTS of similarities with errors etc BUT
I do know a lot more than what gets said on the boards, (which usually end up a one sided argument) and how a lot of childish behavior has undergone, but that is not for dissemination here...

I think its high time, you licked your wounds and moved on. if at worse its flattery to HOL to be emulated.... theres no need for all this pathetic bickering of who owns what with where.... its just shit... and whats wrong with the community in general....

ahhh bollox!.... with thanks... you have managed to draw me into an argument that wont have any resolve not and I want no part of to be honest.
Old 27 June 2008, 14:33   #15
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Quote:
...claiming ownership of non-copyright-able data, but this is an argument, that you refuse to even contemplate....
I'm frankly astounded at how you continue to ignore fundamental legal protections such as the Database Right and copyright in databases, even when I provided ample evidence to demolish your erroneous idea.

Quote:
within fairness, all you have is suppositions as to where this other data comes from, yes I admit there are LOTS of similarities with errors etc
It's not a supposition when the exact same screenshots that I grabbed, of the exact same group of game scenes and sprite positions appear on another site. It's not a supposition when someone blithely copies part of the HOL interface text during a data extraction trip. And it's certainly not a supposition when the same errors appear on another site.

Why group developers into just programmers, graphics artists and musicians like the HOL does? Why not include more detailed information like Lemon Amiga does? How about separating musician and sound effects?

Why use this particular set of genres? Why split Sports and Sports Management into two?

Action
Adult
Adventure
Bat and Ball
Beat-em-up
Board Games
Card Games
Compilation
Construction Kit
Data Disk
Educational
Gambling/Fruit Machine
Maze Games
Miscellaneous
Pinball
Platform
Puzzle
Quiz
Racing
RPG
Shoot-em-up
Simulation
Sports
Sports Management
Strategy
Wargames

HOL Top Level Genres
====================
Action
Adult
Adventure (All)
Bat and ball
Beat-'em-up
Board games
Cards games
Construction kit
Data disk
Educational
Gambling / Fruit Machine
Maze game
Miscellaneous
Pinball
Platform
Puzzle
Quiz
Racing
Rpg
Shoot-'em-up (All)
Simulation
Sport and games
Sport management
Strategy
Wargame

Compilation used to be a HOL genre until we removed it and made it into a database field.

Quote:
I think its high time, you licked your wounds and moved on. if at worse its flattery to HOL to be emulated.... theres no need for all this pathetic bickering of who owns what with where.... its just shit... and whats wrong with the community in general....
What is wrong with the community is taking extracting someone's else hard work, putting your name on it and concocting a story for the history page of a site. In your topsy-turvy world of logic the HOL team is apparently at fault for complaining about this. Ho hum.

Quote:
ahhh bollox!.... with thanks... you have managed to draw me into an argument that wont have any resolve not and I want no part of to be honest.
I forced you to post about this with your "petty" comment?
Old 27 June 2008, 16:27   #16
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Cody,

incase you have not noticed... you are TROLLING

you wont let this go, you wont develop any level of reason, and anything i say you take as a personal attack..

its pointless arguing with you on this as any point I make or suggest or even hint at you are throwing your arms up in the air claiming foul.

I am happy to just dissagree and let you be happy in you separatist attitude towards the HOL (forgive the pun) thing.

and yes... you are petty.... sorry that truth seems to elude you.

now grow up, get over yourself because i am fed up with having to provide a ration for your lack of rationale.

if all you do is bicker, piss bitch and moan you are going to have an empty life i can assure you.

I for one are done with this argument...
Old 27 June 2008, 16:34   #17
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Hush hush now.

Have an 80's inspired cake.

Old 27 June 2008, 17:03   #18
Buleste

@Cody
FYI the screenshots/Boxscans/Diskscans etc on CA or not stolen or ripped from HOL or LemonAmiga. I should know as i've added thousands of screenshots to the CA database along with many box/diskscans. If you had not trolled the administrators and had not submitted rediculous requests the administrators would have replied to your emails. But as you are being such a jackass you are being ignored.
Why split sports into sports and sports management? Probably the same reason as you did. If screen shots look similar it's because we are both using the samegame and creating a screenshot of the same thing. It's something called coincidence. I have my games split into folders on my hard drive that share the same names. Doers this mean i've stolen the idea from you? No. It means that there is a logical way of ordering games.
Stop your pettiness and get a life.

Old 27 June 2008, 17:58   #19
boing_1000
A1000 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
Hush hush now.

Have an 80's inspired cake.

delicious killergorilla
Old 27 June 2008, 19:07   #20
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Thank you for starting this dialogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buleste View Post
@Cody
FYI the screenshots/Boxscans/Diskscans etc on CA or not stolen or ripped from HOL or LemonAmiga. I should know as i've added thousands of screenshots to the CA database along with many box/diskscans
I have not claimed that all the screens and scans were taken from other sites. I am happy to see that the latest updates appear to be original work. However, I sent a list of entries where the screens and scans have been taken from the HOL and they have not been removed.

Quote:
If you had not trolled the administrators and had not submitted rediculous requests the administrators would have replied to your emails. But as you are being such a jackass you are being ignored.
My "rediculous requests" to remove our work from your site is only unreasonable if it wasn't true. My original emails were entirely polite and reasonable.

Quote:
Why split sports into sports and sports management? Probably the same reason as you did.
Why this particular split when you didn't separate other top level genres?

Quote:
If screen shots look similar it's because we are both using the samegame and creating a screenshot of the same thing. It's something called coincidence. I have my games split into folders on my hard drive that share the same names. Doers this mean i've stolen the idea from you? No. It means that there is a logical way of ordering games.
I think you misunderstand what I am complaining about.

Let me make it entirely clear.

I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH ANOTHER SITE USING SIMILAR AMIGA SCREENSHOTS.

I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH ANOTHER SITE HAVING THE SAME DATA AND FIELDS.

The screenshots of which I am complaining are not "similar". They are exactly the same. Are you seriously saying that two separate people playing the same game will produce exactly the same screenshots? Out of the millions of sprite and level positions in a game they will independently come up with not only identical-looking screenshots but the same group of identical screenshots?

The data which makes up the core of the Classic Amiga site is so similar, with errors which the HOL team have fixed since the data was extracted, that it is beyond all coincidence.

Let me make it clear once again.

I do not want you to remove all material from your site - only that which was taken from the HOL!

Quote:
Stop your pettiness and get a life.
Can you explain why I don't have this problem with other Amiga databases? Have I randomly picked Classic Amiga to victimise?

Would you mind looking at the attached image? The left scan is from the HOL and the right scan is from Classic Amiga. Are you saying that this is coincidence?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Zak.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	291.3 KB
ID:	16968