English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 28 August 2001, 23:54   #1
XoreX

Dylan Dog & Simulmondo Mystery

I try to update my collection with Simulmondo games and all I have to say-very hard.
Then I saw Andy's Amiga Rarities. It helped me a lot but 1/2 of the games are death links. It contains good info about the company and the released games but more I look trough the net, more "confusing" info I get, f.e. he writes that Diabolik were 12 full games on the other hand I found some info that there is Diabolik and Diabolik Series: 01-25 [Simulmondo] here .
Also for Dylan Dog and Tex I found different info. Again confusing.... Maybe the TOSEC guys have this Simulmondo mystery cleared up?
I also think that Simulmondo made a game called Martin Mystère (would realy like to see it cause I know read MM comics since I'm 5 years old).
The only thing I found is in Italian and so I don't know if it was released for Amiga or... (my Italian is bad). Here is the site. Can somebody check this out and supley me with info?

I also uploaded Dylan Dog but I don't know the part (and the name). I think it's Dylan Dog - Through the Looking Glass (1993) cause it has 3 adf's. If someone gets to run it, please tell the used config and the name of the game.

Last edited by XoreX; 29 August 2001 at 01:11.
Old 29 August 2001, 07:23   #2
TankerZ

Yeah, I know this Simulmondo "hard to get" games! Searching for 500cc Moto, if someone has it...

Old 29 August 2001, 07:43   #3
Warlock99
Webmaster of AmigaRarities

Simulmondo games

The simulmondo games are slightly confusing it took me, twistin and a lot of other people quite a while to figure out this one.

A lot of the simulmondo games you mentioned have full games and episodes (or mini-games). The full games were released in shops commercially. The episode games were sold on the front of a comic to go with the game.

Hehe, I don't like quoting from my own site, but i can't remember the info otherwise:-

"Diabolik - There's 12 full games (3 mini-games were made but never released). I have 1,2,3,4,6,7,8,11. So, 4 to find, but, if you have any unreleased ones then tell me. Most of mine are Italian except for a couple, does anyone have English versions? "

The other page that you linked to, confirms this, and it seems like very accurate information, considering that people from simulmondo were interviewed.

Another quote sorry:-

"Dylan dog - Two full games and 17 mini-games exist, making 19 games. The full games are english, the others are Italian. So seven more to go at the moment."

Through the looking glass and the murderers are the two full games.

I'm 99.9% certain my info is correct about all the games. Twistin will confirm that this info took a lot of figuring out, but i do think we got it right in the end.

As for Martin Mystère, I can't read italian, so any chance of a translation please.
Old 29 August 2001, 08:37   #4
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Yup, the two of us slaved away vigorously translating Italian texts and adding info, denouncing info and finally ending up with what we feel is the most accurate information obtainable. The games info we ended up deciding was the most accurate came from an interview with the president of Simulmondo and if he doesn't know, nobody does!

BTW: I looked at that Amiga games list you linked to, XoreX, and there is no indication anywhere on that site that the person who compiled the list did any deep research on the existance of the titles on that list. Many of us here go to excruciating pains researching which games do and do not really exist. Sometimes, there exists adverts, press releases and even screenshots of Amiga versions that simply were never released. Many times, people will compile lists of Amiga games that contain these titles. It's easier to bang up a list than to commit to verifying the existance of obscure games. I'd take that list with a grain of salt.
Old 29 August 2001, 10:42   #5
ptrchiappe

Send a message via AIM to ptrchiappe
OK, here goes the translation of the interview to Carlà (i'm sorry it is so long):

Q - At the beginning of the nineties, Simulmondo produced various games based on comic characters such as Tex and Dylan Dog.
A - There were 2 complete games of Dylan Dog (plus 17 outings at the newsstand in episodes), 1 game of Tex ("Hot Lead" plus 13 outings at the newsstand). The game of Martin Mystère was never released.

We also had 12 Diabolik (with 3 mini stories not from comics),
3 Spiderman and the adventures of Simulman and of the Time Runners.

Q - I think the idea of producing those games started at Simulmondo.
A - Yes, from me... at the end of 1990.

Q - Do you remember who was contacted at Sergio Bonelli Editore? Was someone of Bonelli writers involved in production?
A - Decio Canzio, who became a friend of mine... very nice person... and Tiziano Sclavi, very nice too and whom i had a good written relationship with...

Q - Were special drawings prepared or it was only material from old comics and/or drawings made from Simulmondo graphic artists used?
A - Simulmondo graphic artists, but also a new story written from Tiziano and drawn from Montanari&Grassani, then published as a new comic free with "The Killers", the first videogame published from Simulmondo on Bonelli characters, a huge success in Italy and received with great honor even in France and other countries... still very good level today in my opinion.

Q - The newsstand releases were monthly? Which selling result was obtained?
A - They were monthly. At the start success was wonderful, we sold almost 50.000 copies of the first number of Dylan and 25.000 of the first Tex. Then they set at around 10.000 copies each number... finally there was a physiologic (Note from ptrchiappe: don't know if this is the right word, hope you get the meaning of it) decrease that convinced me that the trend of games from comics was going down, even if very positive for Simulmondo. Still after many years a lot of people ask them, so much so that maybe we should think of a reprint or something like that... Maybe at the newsstand with a famous newspaper at 5.000 lire (2,58 euro) as it was done with Space Invaders and other great games of the past. I'd like to know what visitors of your site think of it to understand if public would like something like that...

Q - I remember some screenshots regarding a game of Martin Mystère. Why they were never published?
A - Because it was started when the trend was finished...
and so it would not have been a success...

Q - After the games published between the end of the eighties and the first nineties, italian comic characters have been rarely used to make a game. Only this year we have seen some new multimedia cd-rom based on the characters of Manara and few other. Was it maybe too early?
A - Well i'd say that we made a lot: 2 games in the shops and 17 at the newsstand for DD and 1 in the shops and 13 at the newsstand for TEX are a big effort and it filled up the market... ...

Q - Was the market too small in 1992?
A - Well yes probably... but we sold very much in total, were produced also 11 adventures of Simulman (a character i created, the virtual reality agent, what i call the "simulmondo" (simulated world) from 1983...) and 30 adventures of the Time Runners, a group of kids travelling through time, published in 6 languages (ita eng spa fra ger por) and sold in joint venture with Fabbri-Rizzoli in many many countries. To date it is the biggest selling videgame in Italy: 200.000 copies the first number in 7 days...

Q - A part from the realisation that maybe today, after 7 years,
makes you smile a little, do you think there was any error?
A - 7 years ago it was a good product (the shop games received prizes in France and reviewed with very good votes in Italy, France and UK...) the newsstand ones were absolutely new: original games at 15.000 lire (7,75 euro) in two versions (PC AMIGA) on famous characters...

You always make errors...but i believe that if there was one at that time that was being monthly to follow Bonelli. Too frequent for a videogame, too slow for a comic book... it would have been better to publish a new adventure of a character every two or three months... and maybe using more characters...but at the time Nathan Never and the others were not yet popular.

Here ends the translation of the linked interview, i have read also the other pages and in particular about Martin Mystere it says that it was PC only (VGA 256 colors and 2MB memory needed ) and that even was published a listing for a Spectrum game on an italian magazine.

The Nathan Never game was instead released by another softhouse Genias (they also did Lupo Alberto).

If you need any other translation from italian ask me (nothing too long please )
Old 29 August 2001, 11:42   #6
XoreX

Thumbs up

Excellent, thanx to all!
Old 29 August 2001, 14:16   #7
ptrchiappe

Send a message via AIM to ptrchiappe
@XeroX

I downloaded the 3 adfs of Dylan Dog and i can tell you the following:

- it is indeed Dylan Dog Through the Looking Glass (Attraverso lo Specchio in the italian version - wonder why they didn't call it Mirror) from Simulmondo 1992-1993
- if loaded from floppy it stops at the second adf with a disk error
- it is however HD installable: just copy all the files from the three disks to a directory (maybe named DylanDog if you like), then assign dd_1: dd_2: and dd_3: to that directory and type "game" from the shell (after having changed to the directory created earlier, i.e. if you called it "DylanDog" then from the shell type "cd DylanDog"), you can write a script to do all this and just use that.
- i tried with WinUAE16R4 and the standard AIAB setup, but i don't think that it makes any difference as it opens on a separate screen, it's just running from floppy that causes problems (maybe the crackers did something wrong in the setup of the disks - there is a strange file called "devs" 232 bytes long on both Disk2 and 3 that maybe should be called "system-configuration", i said maybe but didn't try to rename it)

Hope this will help you run this adventure.
Old 29 August 2001, 16:46   #8
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Cool Through The Looking Glass

'Dylan Dog Through the Looking Glass' seems to be a reference to Lewis Carroll's Alice books: Alice's Adventures In Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass.
Old 29 August 2001, 20:45   #9
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I have a bunch of trainers for the Dylan Dog series (and some of the Tex stuff to, I believe) on my Amiga that I really need to get to Andy...
Old 29 August 2001, 21:35   #10
Warlock99
Webmaster of AmigaRarities

Thanks everyone!

Thanks for that translation ptrchiappe! Using web translators isn't as nice as a proper translation.

So, I think we can safely say that we know all the simulmondo games!

Sorry about the state of my site at the moment, I definitely need to concentrate on this again soon.

Yes, please pass those trainers and anything else simulmondo related to me twistin.