English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 04 July 2021, 17:00   #1
krzysiek95

Amiga 600 cannot see the 16GB CF card

Hi,

I have the following problem:

I have an Amiga 600, with 2MB ChipRAM and 8MB FastRAM. Kickstart 37.350. I also bought a 16GB CF card. At the beginning, I formatted this card under WinUAE by dividing it into three partitions: 1GB for the system and the rest in two halves. On a real A600 the card was readable - all partitions were readable, scsi.device version 43.54 was loading (I add linie in ss to load). After installing the system and checking it on a real Amiga, I started copying WHDLoad games to the middle partition (it was about 6GB and the games were less than 5GB). I started copying and left the house for about 2 hours. After returning home, a message appeared in Windows that the disk (CF card) is unrecognized and whether I want to format the disk. I pressed "no". I looked at what I copied in the emulator and couldn't save anything. Some folders were not showing up at all. A message was popping up: "disk is write protected or bitmap error".

I looked for help on the internet and found a suggestion to use pfsdoctor. It worked and pfsdoctor repaired my partition. I checked on A600 and the card worked. It looked okay, but I couldn't write anything to that partition anymore. For example, I created a folder, closed the window, opened it and the folder was gone. But there was no error message.
So I decided to do everything from scratch:
I cleaned the whole card in diskpart, mounted it in WinUAE under IDE0, in HDToolBox it was scsi.device. I have loaded the scsi.device version 43.54 module. And I did everything according to the guide: max transfer set, pfs3 set (dos type 0x504...). I have now split the card into 1GB for the system and the other part for the rest. Then I installed the system. I put a card into the Amiga but the computer didn't see the card, just a Kickstart image was displayed. The disk is not visible in the boot menu either. I ran WB from the installation floppy disk and started it in HDToolBox - the card was detected but as "Unknown". I put the same card in WinUAE and the system started up fine. But in a real Amiga, the system cannot be seen and the card is still recognized as Unknown.

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong. Is this card broken? I was struggling with it for six hours ... I also tried to split the card into FFS under Amiga. Apparently it worked, but after the reset the card is still "Unknown". I've tried scsi.devive normal and newer one. I always loaded 43.54 because 44 bootlooped on Amiga. I don't know what exactly happened during the game copying process the first time because I wasn't at home. I don't know if someone disconnected the card (I have two 3-year-old twins at home, but they do not come into my room), or if the card somehow disconnect itself from the computer during copying, or maybe the USB reader did not last (auto-off, hibernation or standby is off). ..
But the reader works, reads and records. I also noticed (while everything was still working) that there is a wrong partition size on the top bar. I understand that it can be like this with a 16GB card? On another 4GB card, the Amiga boots normally, the system and WHDLoad work as well. Only with this 16GB card there is a problem. The 4GB and 16GB card are from the same manufacturer. I'd like to stay on Kickstart 37.350. I will load the scsi.device module via startup-sequence.

I have already tried:
- erase the card
- upload the 4GB card image (worked on real Amiga) to the 16GB card with the CopyRAW software
- tried different filesystems
- tried different versions of WinUAE
- I tried on two computers
- I tried different versions of scsi.device but only 43.45 works (no bootlops on A600)
- I tried smaller partitions
- I tried clean all in disk part

None of the above worked

Please help !

Last edited by krzysiek95; 04 July 2021 at 17:17.
Old 04 July 2021, 18:45   #2
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Without a newer Kickstart, you cannot boot off a hard drive or CF larger than 4 GB partition on the internal IDE controller. The original drivers supported 32 bit addressing for storage. Kickstart and Workbench 3.2 have 64 bit IDE drivers as does AmigaOS 3.1.4. On all other Kickstarts you have to split partition the boot drive to be less than 4 GB and the rest can be a separate partition that's larger if you load 64-bit IDE support with patching from the boot partition. Does partitioning work on a CF card?

Edit:

The 64 bit driver for the IDE is called TD64, I think.

Last edited by Samurai_Crow; 04 July 2021 at 18:53.
Old 04 July 2021, 19:11   #3
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Anyway the workbench need 500mb, that is more than enough. Then use pfs3aio filesystem on each partition.
Old 04 July 2021, 19:17   #4
krzysiek95

Thanks for the answers.
I know, I have to load the scsi.device module every time I want to use the disk properly. Yes i do.
I always set up the first 1 GB partition so that the system and startup-sequence would boot properly.
I used pfs3aio in each partition.

In the older version of WinUAE, the CF card partitioning works fine. In the newer one, something is wrong. I can't properly add the disk to WinUAE because there are more items, I don't know what to choose.
On a real Amiga, partitioning doesn't work. I save and reset and the card is still Unknown.
Old 04 July 2021, 19:33   #5
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Which version of TD64Patch are you using? It might require Kickstart 3 as a minimum.
Old 04 July 2021, 19:39   #6
krzysiek95

I dont use TD64Patch. I use loadmodule scsi.device in version 43.45.
Now I downloaded the newest version of WinUAE and when entering HDToolBox it still appears like this:
https://prnt.sc/18jw0lt

Last edited by krzysiek95; 04 July 2021 at 19:45.
Old 06 July 2021, 10:46   #7
-Acid-

Try creating and formatting the partitions in your actual Amiga and only then put it back on WinUAE to copy the files over.
Old 06 July 2021, 12:30   #8
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by krzysiek95 View Post
I dont use TD64Patch. I use loadmodule scsi.device in version 43.45.
Now I downloaded the newest version of WinUAE and when entering HDToolBox it still appears like this:
https://prnt.sc/18jw0lt

Completely normal if you have other HDD's mounted. You just agree to it and save, it will then see any extra drives. Until this is done, you will not see any extra drive on the IDE chain.
Its all to do with Termination. If you set up one drive on its own, it terminates there. Add more drives, it will not see them until you HDToolbox it and save changes.
Once you restart, you should see any extra drives.

If your using updated scsi.device and filesystem, like you are, then you should not need any patches. Just small boot partition to load module every time.
Old 06 July 2021, 16:39   #9
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzysiek95 View Post
On a real Amiga, partitioning doesn't work. I save and reset and the card is still Unknown.
You have to sort this out first. If the card does not work on the real Amiga, there is nothing you can do in WinUAE to make it work.