English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 01 August 2021, 01:26   #1
liquidsmoke

Amigakit recapping question

Anyone know how long roughly it takes for amigakit to recap/timing fix an amiga 1200 board?

thinking of sending mine to them but really dont want to be waiting for eons.
Old 01 August 2021, 02:27   #2
-Acid-

I wouldn't risk it lol
Old 01 August 2021, 10:52   #3
liquidsmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Acid- View Post
I wouldn't risk it lol

why wouldnt you risk it?

whats the alternative?
Old 01 August 2021, 10:57   #4
solarmon

Some other UK based repairer/recappers can be found at:

http://www.robthenerd.com/amiga/repairers
Old 01 August 2021, 11:05   #5
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

I can recommend Retro Passion. Did a sterling job on my A1200.
Old 02 August 2021, 01:00   #6
amipal

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmoke View Post
Anyone know how long roughly it takes for amigakit to recap/timing fix an amiga 1200 board?

thinking of sending mine to them but really dont want to be waiting for eons.
I've had all four of my A1200 motherboards recapped by AmigaKit, and also my A600 and CD32.
Some took a couple of weeks, others were back within a week.
My CD32 required further tinkering to ascertain why sound wasn't being output correctly, but they kept me in the loop throughout.
Old 04 August 2021, 17:51   #7
Chucky

I would say send it to someone that doesn't use the money to rebrand other stuff and reuse competitors name etc.. amigakit have done this more and more and are just being dicks about it. stop supporting them!
Old 04 August 2021, 18:25   #8
stairmand

That's the reason I actually went to RetroPassion instead, it would have been much easier for me to use AmigaKit but after what they have done I'd rather not. However, RP have had mine over 3 weeks so far and not a peep from them.
Old 04 August 2021, 18:32   #9
Havie

I used Bebek on Amibay for my 600 and 1200. Quick return, good job!
Old 04 August 2021, 20:16   #10
fryguy

I would really not recommend it.
Old 04 August 2021, 20:20   #11
mcgeezer

Don't use Amiga Kit .... for anything.

Infact, for my next game port I'm going to offer free advertising to their competitors.
Old 05 August 2021, 10:54   #12
Korodny
Zone Friend

While I have no personal experience with Amigakit, there's an alarming number of people out there complaining about (sometimes extreme) delays and complete lack of communication when ordering product from Amigakit or sending them hardware for repair. Many people resort to complaining in public in one of the big forums, because that often seems to be the last option to get a reply out of Mr. Leaman.

If you have other options, I would recommend to stay clear of Amigakit. And that's before you start considering their conduct in general.
Old 05 August 2021, 11:47   #13
crabfists

I can recommend both Bebek and RetroPassion. RetroPassion took about 2 months but that didn't bother me. It's worth waiting to get it done properly.
Old 07 August 2021, 04:11   #14
Jpor
Banned

Also worth a shout out to Ian @ Mutant Catterpillar.
Retropassion (Amiga passion) not a big fan. Used Mr Clifford a couple of times in the past. Got to a point where his attitude was getting very lacklustre, to the point he wasn’t being bothered about faults being fixed. Last time I had any sort of contact with Retro Passion was when a Amiga A4000 board ended up being mistakenly sent to my house where the actual owner was left hunting this down and nearly lost over £500. Even then the sound fault he wanted fixing wasn’t done. Besides isn’t Steve Clifford trying to big himself up on YouTube by giving freebies away to gain popularity instead of looking after his current customers?
Old 21 August 2021, 15:29   #15
IanS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpor View Post
Also worth a shout out to Ian @ Mutant Catterpillar.
Retropassion (Amiga passion) not a big fan. Used Mr Clifford a couple of times in the past. Got to a point where his attitude was getting very lacklustre, to the point he wasn’t being bothered about faults being fixed. Last time I had any sort of contact with Retro Passion was when a Amiga A4000 board ended up being mistakenly sent to my house where the actual owner was left hunting this down and nearly lost over £500. Even then the sound fault he wanted fixing wasn’t done. Besides isn’t Steve Clifford trying to big himself up on YouTube by giving freebies away to gain popularity instead of looking after his current customers?

Every time the topic of Retropassion crops up, you go out of your way to make disparaging remarks about a particular individual. I have never used, met, seen or contacted him/them, but by and large, most people seem to think Retropassion is a reputable operation. You on the other hand, seem to think he should spend 24 hours a day working on your repairs, and should not try to advertise and grow the business. You don't think he should be allowed to make mistakes, and because you once had a bad experience, everyone must avoid them.

Troubleshooting and repairing old computers isn't always a quick and simple process. It takes time, patience and a lot of commitment to do it properly. It takes as long as it takes. If someone already has ten boards to fix and yours becomes number 11, you can't reasonably expect them to prioritise yours.

To be honest, you don't seem like the most patient of people, and your own attitude isn't exactly exemplary, as witnessed by your repeated comments of bigging himself up, giving freebies to gain popularity. Very immature. ?
Old 21 August 2021, 20:40   #16
klx300r

Thumbs up

I've never had a problem with Amigakit since they opened up their business and honestly many times I've been quite surprised how fast products arrive at my door in Canada from UK quicker than stuff I order online within my own province and at reasonable rates. Occasionally they are a little late responding to some emails or service requests but they always got back to me.

I would also highly recommend retrorewind.ca for Canada/U.S C64/Amiga users.
Old 22 August 2021, 00:15   #17
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS View Post
Every time the topic of Retropassion crops up, you go out of your way to make disparaging remarks about a particular individual. I have never used, met, seen or contacted him/them, but by and large, most people seem to think Retropassion is a reputable operation. You on the other hand, seem to think he should spend 24 hours a day working on your repairs, and should not try to advertise and grow the business. You don't think he should be allowed to make mistakes, and because you once had a bad experience, everyone must avoid them.

Troubleshooting and repairing old computers isn't always a quick and simple process. It takes time, patience and a lot of commitment to do it properly. It takes as long as it takes. If someone already has ten boards to fix and yours becomes number 11, you can't reasonably expect them to prioritise yours.

To be honest, you don't seem like the most patient of people, and your own attitude isn't exactly exemplary, as witnessed by your repeated comments of bigging himself up, giving freebies to gain popularity. Very immature. ?
Just putting my opinion of my experience out there. This guy actually lost someone’s A4000 motherboard and Daughterboard. The only reason I know this is that as lucky it ended up my property and the owner wasn’t out of nearly £500! Just because of a mistake. A costly mistake which the guy who attempted to repair this couldn’t be bothered to do anything about Also there was supposed to be a sound repair as well as a recap done to this board. Guess what the board wasn’t repaired! So if you want to continue to praise an individual because if your lucky you got the work done so be it. I’m not an impatient person just putting it out there you maybe taking a risk. My opinion like your opinion he’s the best thing since sliced bread

Oh and I’ve used Amigakit as well for a recap and like others have had issues with no communication about what was happening and I wouldn’t send my boards to them either.

Last edited by Jpor; 22 August 2021 at 00:26.
Old 22 August 2021, 00:40   #18
Gryfon

I’ve sent a 1200 board to RetroPassion, back when they were AmigaPassion for a recap - 1 month turnaround, works great, communication wasn’t fabulous, but overall no complaints.

I physically took a different 1200 board to AmigaKit - happened to be going to Cardiff anyway - left the board with them with the statement “I’m in no rush to get this back”; also requested a new timing crystal and to remove the RF output. Came back 3 months later,
board had all works done correctly, has been my daily-use machine for nearly 3 years since, spoke to them twice during that 3 month period over the phone, once about the board and once separately to check stock before another order. Happy to recommend both Mr Clifford and the AmigaKit boys based on quality of work and service.

If you get in touch with the SWAG South West Amiga Group on Facebook - you might take your board to one of their up-and-coming meets where volunteers like Scott and Zeb may recap your board for free (only for the cost of the new caps); I have a 3rd board Zeb did at the Jan 2020 SWAG meet and again I’m very happy with the standard of work.
Old 23 August 2021, 21:50   #19
RetroPassionUK
RetroPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpor View Post
Just putting my opinion of my experience out there. This guy actually lost someone’s A4000 motherboard and Daughterboard. The only reason I know this is that as lucky it ended up my property and the owner wasn’t out of nearly £500! Just because of a mistake. A costly mistake which the guy who attempted to repair this couldn’t be bothered to do anything about Also there was supposed to be a sound repair as well as a recap done to this board. Guess what the board wasn’t repaired! So if you want to continue to praise an individual because if your lucky you got the work done so be it. I’m not an impatient person just putting it out there you maybe taking a risk. My opinion like your opinion he’s the best thing since sliced bread

Oh and I’ve used Amigakit as well for a recap and like others have had issues with no communication about what was happening and I wouldn’t send my boards to them either.
It seems your on a roll here JPOR with your other comments here and elsewhere :-)

Your missing some of the facts. The return address on the box he sent us the A4000 board in was your address (as he may have bought the 4000 board off you or another item), he did not put his address anywhere on the box so if the return address on the box was clear and no attempt was made in covering it, it is only reasonable to take that as the return address of the customer?? Also the box had our details on it but no attempt was made in contact us to say you had 4000 board delivered. The other fact is you also used AmigaPassion yourself before the incident so you know who we are before we became RetroPassion Ltd.

Since this incident we made some changes and ask for people to put their order number on the box along with a copy of the order in the box (yes we do get boards sent with nothing in the box with who its from on occasion). And to take it even further when we ask for payment (we ask when the work is complete) we ask for the address to be confirmed before returning the board.

Also this happened in 2019. And I should add we are very involved in the Amiga community, and as for Youtube, yes we do get featured a lot and these are not paid for mentions or us being sponsors but from genuine youtubers/twitch streamers who appreciate our work and what we do in the Amiga community and your point of a freebee, who does not want a freebee? Being a Hyperion reseller we thought it would be great to give a copy away and celebrate its release, this was a last min choice and a very last minute decision to do a live video chat (live on the stream) in giving away a copy of AmigaOS 3.2, would you like a free copy of 3.2?

Thanks!

RetroPassion

Last edited by RetroPassionUK; 23 August 2021 at 22:28. Reason: added more facts
Old 23 August 2021, 21:59   #20
Chucky

Oh people seding stuff without contactinfo. THAT have NEVER happend to me....

eh. I have actually a pile of Amiga boards here that I have no clue where to send them as not a single line of info WHO sent the board.. :-/ wonder if 2+ years is ok to do something with it?