English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.Maptapper

Old 15 December 2014, 15:02   #61
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
Thanks so much CT I appreciate it... wish I could work this maptapper out

Oh... could I use the .ini file to rip the other two pitches out? actually they`ll be different save states I guess because you have to load the pitch in. If I remember correctly one of the pitches doesn`t load
Old 15 December 2014, 18:29   #62
Joe Maroni

Send a message via MSN to Joe Maroni
in my opinion Maptapper is a great tool....

start to learn about bits and bytes and all this stuff and you see how easy it could be to create maps with it....
Old 15 December 2014, 20:13   #63
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainy View Post
Thanks so much CT I appreciate it... wish I could work this maptapper out

Oh... could I use the .ini file to rip the other two pitches out? actually they`ll be different save states I guess because you have to load the pitch in. If I remember correctly one of the pitches doesn`t load
If you load the other pitches from the same base savestate (ie. load the existing one, choose another pitch, save again) then you'll probably find that the graphics and map are in the exact same location, so you should just be able to hit the copperlist button to get the correct palette and hit F5 to refresh the map if it doesn't automatically.
Old 21 December 2014, 21:07   #64
stainy
Zone Friend

HMmm

I used the same details..

This is what I got it`s meant to be a snowy pitch

same with the green pitch also

Having trouble.. I can`t use the original savestate because you can`t go back to the pitch selection and choose another pitch..
The ice pitch doesn`t load all the way ( for whatever reason ) but I kinda hoped the pitch was loaded into memory.

Last edited by stainy; 21 December 2014 at 21:30. Reason: Added pic
Old 21 December 2014, 23:59   #65
Codetapper

Press the copperlist button to get the correct palette. The game uses dual playfield mode so if the graphics still look wrong then use the menu option to swap the first 8 colours around. Alternatively press the 4 key until it turns to an X indicating that the 4th plane is permanently on. It should display 123X5678 near the top.
Old 24 December 2014, 15:08   #66
stainy
Zone Friend

Hi CT..I can`t get it working.. I can swap the first 8 colours around, copperlist button doesn`t do anything that I can see..
the 4 key I have it so it shows it`s permanently on ( the colour changed a little but still not right )

Ok I`m getting there...

But the map seems to be wrapped round kinda?

Last edited by stainy; 24 December 2014 at 15:17. Reason: Additions
Old 24 December 2014, 18:41   #67
Codetapper

Save what you've done in Maptapper, then upload your savestate and the INI file so we can see what you've done wrong. The map height is certainly wrong, and it's not aligned to the top left corner of the map. It's hard to tell if the palette is incorrect or not having never seen that pitch.
Old 24 December 2014, 19:28   #68
stainy
Zone Friend

great, thanks... i`ve uploaded the ini

The savestate is already in the zone ( Wembley pitch )

thanks a million
Old 24 December 2014, 20:15   #69
Codetapper

The problem is your savestate was taken on the menu screen, which has a completely different palette to the game. You must save the state when the exact screen you want is displayed, as the copperlist button follows the active one in memory. Check the zone...
Old 24 December 2014, 22:32   #70
stainy
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
The problem is your savestate was taken on the menu screen, which has a completely different palette to the game. You must save the state when the exact screen you want is displayed, as the copperlist button follows the active one in memory. Check the zone...

oooooh
Old 29 November 2015, 03:18   #71
wazzup

Hello Codetapper (and fellow Delphi programmer)

I've just discovered (actually, bumped into) your excellent Maptapper.
I've read the tutorials at your site and played with the included projects.

I gave it a go with SwitchBlade II and it was a piece of cake.

I tried with several other titles (e.g. Prophecy - The Viking Child, Project X, Disposable Hero, Agony) but failed miserably. I could see the garbled sprites (sometimes managed to have them display correctly in the Tile Ripper) but could not find the background tiles. I suppose I need more practice...

I don't have a question regarding a specific title; I won't ask you to check something just for me (ok, others will read the post too of cource, as this is the right way!)
Have you (or anyone other here) came upon a title which couldn't be made to display its correct tiles in Tile Ripper?

Regards

edit:

I am currently reading the posts in this forum and, as you might have guessed, I have learned quite a few moves to try!

Last edited by wazzup; 29 November 2015 at 04:02. Reason: update about new found knowledge
Old 29 November 2015, 05:40   #72
Codetapper

I can't think of any title so far that I haven't been able to find the tiles. Some games that use a double map can be tricky (first set of tiles build up larger tiles, these need some tricks to locate) but you are welcome to upload save states. Of the games you mention, only Agony is slightly harder as it uses dual playfield mode so you're looking for 3 bitplanes for the graphics.
Old 29 November 2015, 18:21   #73
wazzup

Ah, I see. Thank you for the swift reply.
I'll just practice a little (read: a lot) more and get back to you guys in case of coyote... ehh, I mean in case of dead-end.

Regards
Old 02 June 2016, 16:23   #74
reagent

Hello there.

Is this a thread where people are asking for a general guidance? I'm trying to rip Chaos Engine 2 (sprites and tiles), and failing.

Something is wrong with palette, and maybe with bitplane order? It looks like each sprite (and tile) is having separate palette, sprites have different height and there is a strange noise right in a middle of some animations (and some other issues).

I lack experience, so the combination of this is too much for me to handle.

Could anyone take a look at savestate and my config (in archive) and tell me what to do?

PS: I used scripts from https://github.com/bjorn/tiled/wiki/Import-from-Image to obtain an incomplete tileset from a HOL maps. It could be helpful, so I attach it as well.

UPDATE

I think I got it. The game (usually) uses 16x16 tiles and 32x(something) sprites. However, the graphical data is interleaved with non-graphical one, so the offset for Sprite#1 could be wrong for Sprite#2, which lead to palette being wrong.

Hence, some graphics are best viewed at $XXXX0 address, but $XXXX8 are best for others; I was confused about it, because 'by default' you can change address by 16 bits, not 8 bits.

Still struggling with ripping the font and interface elements.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Base_Tileset_forum.png
Views:	512
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	48727  
Attached Files
File Type: rar state.rar (209.4 KB, 477 views)

Last edited by reagent; 02 June 2016 at 22:28.