English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 20 September 2021, 10:23   #401
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypex View Post
Given FS-UAE is running primarily on little endian, and emulating a big endian computer, I am surprised it could be ignored at all or even require little work. It doesn't make sense that it would be harder to get it working on native big endian than it is easily working on little endian. The world doesn't make sense!
No-one said it was harder. I even said that it wasn't complicated. But it is *some* extra work. For example, in some cases you need to convert values between big-endian and little-endian *if* the host is little-endian, and not if it is big-endian. Or maybe you need to specify different OpenGL texture format flags on little-endian vs big-endian. So you might need if-statements (or compiler defines) and write code for both cases. If you forget do this in one place, or ignore it on purpose for now to get it working at all for little-endian, then it won't work properly on big-endian.

In all cases, written code needs to be tested to ensure it is written correctly. So it hasn't really got anything to do with difficult vs. easy, but rather more about what hardware I can/will test on and what host platforms I officially support. That's what I'm going to focus on. I'm aware of big-endian vs. little-endian and usually take that into account when writing code.
Old 08 January 2023, 17:45   #402
DJBase
Amiga is my Religion

What was the latest build for a G3 or was there any? And can someone put in the Zone please?
Old 12 February 2023, 15:07   #403
Stormiboy

Hello there. Looking for it in The Zone too. ??
Old 18 May 2023, 17:09   #404
eastone

Hi,
I'm digging up an old topic. I'm working on a simple launcher for FS-UAE PPC as part of learning programming. But that's not what I want to write about.
During testing, I noticed that the only configuration that works without any slowdowns is the A4000. This applies to all versions of FS-UAE from version 2.5.x to version 3.0.5 (f.e. version 2.4.1 works correctly)
It also seems to me that some config file options are being ignored. For example, the speed of the floppy drive is much slower for the A500 configuration than for the A4000, despite setting them to 800%

I'm pretty sure there's never been a problem like this before. I had a long break from using Fs-uae and I don't remember well.
Could someone check if he has the same problem with the emulator?

I attach logs for A500 and A4000

Adf used: http://www.insertdisk2.com/demo/major-release
Everything on PM G5 11.2

Regards,
Kristoffer
Attached Files
File Type: zip a500logs.zip (12.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: zip a4kLogs.zip (12.4 KB, 49 views)
Old 19 May 2023, 02:31   #405
ztronzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastone View Post
Hi,
I'm digging up an old topic. I'm working on a simple launcher for FS-UAE PPC as part of learning programming. But that's not what I want to write about.
During testing, I noticed that the only configuration that works without any slowdowns is the A4000. This applies to all versions of FS-UAE from version 2.5.x to version 3.0.5 (f.e. version 2.4.1 works correctly)
It also seems to me that some config file options are being ignored. For example, the speed of the floppy drive is much slower for the A500 configuration than for the A4000, despite setting them to 800%

I'm pretty sure there's never been a problem like this before. I had a long break from using Fs-uae and I don't remember well.
Could someone check if he has the same problem with the emulator?

I attach logs for A500 and A4000

Adf used: http://www.insertdisk2.com/demo/major-release
Everything on PM G5 11.2

Regards,
Kristoffer
no doubt there would be a considerable difference when setting the emulator to run as fast as possible with "cpu_speed=max" in compared to a locked 7Mhz 68k Amiga 500... floppy drive speeds should be the same but the time processing data will be dramatically sped up.
Old 19 May 2023, 10:33   #406
eastone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztronzo View Post
no doubt there would be a considerable difference when setting the emulator to run as fast as possible with "cpu_speed=max" in compared to a locked 7Mhz 68k Amiga 500
Is there any way to "unlock" A500 speed? Setting cpu_speed to max does not work.
Old 20 May 2023, 20:43   #407
eastone

The "uae_" prefix solved the problem (RTFM? )
Now A500 flies

Last edited by eastone; 24 May 2023 at 15:32.
Old 18 June 2023, 15:26   #408
eastone

Here is a short video of how the launcher on os x ppc works. Not yet ready for release at this stage. This is only a test version. A more extensive version is under development.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 08 August 2023, 18:04   #409
SnakeCoils

Well, after a bit of patching here and there I was able to build the latest stable FS-UAE version 3.1.66 for OSX PPC machines, as usual AmigaOS 4 and JIT compile are disabled.

It seems that making it compatible again with SDL 2.0.3 was a matter of commenting out a single line in src/fs-uae/device-helper.c (SDL_HINT_MAC_BACKGROUND_APP that is supported from SDL 2.0.4+).

The only caveat other than the usual patches I applied to the source was to disable the automated fs-uae.dat copy from the final script and adding it manually (pasted in place from the 3.0.5 version) in the executable bundle because otherwise a report of "file not found" was keeping the process from a succesful end.

From preliminary tests I've seen no loss and no gain of speed compared to the previous 3.0.5 version but everything seems to work fine including the RTG graphics.

The executable can be found in The Zone.

Enjoy! :-)

Last edited by SnakeCoils; 08 August 2023 at 19:00.
Old 08 August 2023, 20:23   #410
vulture

many thx man!