English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Demos

Old 20 May 2010, 19:58   #1
mfletcher
Bawbag.

Metropolice Demo screen resolution problems

Hi,

I downloaded the demo from pouet.net the other night and installed it on my A4000. I dont know if its any help, but I have the Indivision 4000 installed with HighGFX 40.6.

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=...ents=25&page=4

When I run the demo, the demo doesnt fit on my screen? The right hand side and bottom parts of the demo are cut off. I have a Dell 1908 FPB which can display 1280 x 1024, so I dont think its the monitor at fault. Can anyone provide any tips? Anyway to force the demo to run at a pre-defined resolution?
Old 24 May 2010, 10:11   #2
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfletcher View Post
When I run the demo, the demo doesnt fit on my screen? The right hand side and bottom parts of the demo are cut off. I have a Dell 1908 FPB which can display 1280 x 1024, so I dont think its the monitor at fault. Can anyone provide any tips? Anyway to force the demo to run at a pre-defined resolution?
Do you run the demo from workbench, or without startup-sequence (as a demo should be run)? The demo tries to open a 320x240 resolution screen, and uses the best match, and if run from workbench it also uses the overscan-settings defined.

Oh, and have you tried using auto-adjust on your monitor while the demo is running? And do other demos show up ok?
Old 24 May 2010, 11:14   #3
pmc
gone

What's the minimum spec to watch this demo on A1200...?

I've watched this fine in WinUAE but on my real A1200 with 68060 @ 50Mhz and 128Mb RAM it runs slow and often crashes out.
Old 24 May 2010, 11:39   #4
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmc View Post
What's the minimum spec to watch this demo on A1200...?

I've watched this fine in WinUAE but on my real A1200 with 68060 @ 50Mhz and 128Mb RAM it runs slow and often crashes out.
68060 is a must for this demo, and it really should be run without startup-sequence. I've only tested it on a 68060@66MHz, and on that machine it ran ok (although the framerate could be better in some parts).

But crashing? Can you tell me where it crashes exactly, or is it at random points?
Old 24 May 2010, 11:44   #5
pmc
gone

Last time I ran it crashed out right after the credits part near the beginning if I remember correctly.

It's a few weeks since I tried it - I could run it again later when I'm at home if you like and post the result...?

Gotta add that I did just run the demo from a CLI prompt from within Workbench so it's maybe my fault if the demo would be best run with no startup-sequence...
Old 24 May 2010, 12:14   #6
britelite

Quote:
Last time I ran it crashed out right after the credits part near the beginning if I remember correctly.
If it crashes right after the credits it might be because a missing or bad fpu (I know, I should check if one's present in the init-phase).

Quote:
It's a few weeks since I tried it - I could run it again later when I'm at home if you like and post the result...?
Yes, please. That would be helpful

Quote:
Gotta add that I did just run the demo from a CLI prompt from within Workbench so it's maybe my fault if the demo would be best run with no startup-sequence...
The demo shouldn't crash if you run it from workbench, but might run slower as it doesn't disable multitasking or fiddle around with priorities.
Old 24 May 2010, 12:23   #7
pmc
gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite
If it crashes right after the credits it might be because a missing or bad fpu (I know, I should check if one's present in the init-phase).
Hmmm... strange. I know my 060 definitely has an FPU. I never had any problems with any other demos that use the FPU either but I suppose there's always a first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite
Yes, please. That would be helpful
No worries man - I'll get on it and let you know.

By the way, I wanna watch it on the real thing cos it rules - great work man - should've won BP really I think...
Old 25 May 2010, 09:25   #8
pmc
gone

I ran the demo again last night but this time I ran it as I was supposed to in the first place - ie. no startup sequence.

It worked fine.

I must have had problems previously because I was doing other things in Workbench at the same time as running the demo so the issues were my fault - apologies.
Old 25 May 2010, 11:43   #9
britelite

Quote:
I must have had problems previously because I was doing other things in Workbench at the same time as running the demo so the issues were my fault - apologies.
Thanks for testing it. Doing things in workbench should only slow the demo down, not crash it. So if the demo itself crashed, then it's most certainly a bug in my code
Old 31 May 2010, 19:34   #10
Photon

I'm trying to think of things a computer or a computer user could need to do while running or watching a demo... help me out, I can't really think of any
Old 01 June 2010, 08:03   #11
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
I'm trying to think of things a computer or a computer user could need to do while running or watching a demo...
As a computer user I can think of at least one thing to do while watching a demo: drinking a few beers
Old 10 October 2021, 21:13   #12
perinoid

Digging out the topic - sorry for that :-)
I have a problem running this demo on my A1200 + Warp 1260 @85MHz. If I run it in a standard way from desktop, I have problems with sound - like there was not enough power for it. I tried to run it without S-S but then it complains about no suitable graphics mod: "no suitable screen-ModeID".
What's going on? How can I run it? I never had a 060 accelerator and now when i have it, I'd like to wach all the demos I couldn't watch ;-)
Old 11 October 2021, 08:48   #13
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by perinoid View Post
If I run it in a standard way from desktop, I have problems with sound - like there was not enough power for it.
This seems weird, which version of AmigaOS are you running? When running it from the Shell, do you have time to see the info the demo prints out before starting?

Quote:
I tried to run it without S-S but then it complains about no suitable graphics mod: "no suitable screen-ModeID".
Just making sure, do you also run SetPatch after starting without S-S?
Old 15 October 2021, 00:21   #14
perinoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
Just making sure, do you also run SetPatch after starting without S-S?
No, I didn't load it. I'll try, thanks.

[edit]
Oh yes, that did the trick. Thanks!

You know, it's my firs 060 contact, I may say. Some things are new.

Last edited by perinoid; 15 October 2021 at 08:10.