Old 12 May 2019, 21:28   #1
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Post EAB Game Competition - Discussion related to possible next one

Doesnt matter now, I want a new compo!
Old 12 May 2019, 21:36   #2
mcgeezer

I'm happy to run the next competition if there's enough support for me to do it.

I won't be taking part in it so it could be said that I'll be impartial.

If you's want to I can throw some ideas out there.

@Damien - .... and you did a fantastic job mate!

Perhaps with the attention of Rygar I can maybe setup a 'donate to the competition page' or something like that. The Rygar Facebook group has over 200 followers now... so could be a good place to start.
Old 12 May 2019, 22:26   #3
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
I'm happy to run the next competition if
Maybe there is some common experience from the last round - for example some participans gave up because they stated lack of time to finish the project. I am not sure - is it 6 months enough or not? It is a matter of discussion.
Old 12 May 2019, 22:43   #4
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Doesnt matter now, I want a new compo!
That's great, good for you...

I won't be having any part of it... see this thread: I resign...
Old 15 May 2019, 15:10   #5
E-Penguin
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
That is not correct. One of the winners already won a prize in other competition, before it even entered the EAB compo. Aminer scored 2nd place at Retrocomp 2018. It was publicly announced, it was a fact known to the judges and the game was allowed. So to be fair, I think jojo's game was okay in this way. And I think even Rygar started way before competition was launched.
I was involved in drafting the rules; the intention was to allow prior work as long as it was declared. The only stipulation was that it had to be substantially new development for the competition, to prevent someone from taking a game that's been years in the making, changing the title screen and submitting it as fresh. I think it's understood that we all have half-started projects, demos, bits of code lying around that could form the basis of a new game given the right motivation.
Old 15 May 2019, 19:35   #6
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Yes, this is something that could by solved (in future rounds) by some special rule, that is valid only for that round. I suggested it before. For example: the game must contain a penguin (apple, EAB logo, whatever). Or something like that. It is not important now, but consider this for the future contests.
Old 15 May 2019, 22:54   #7
E-Penguin
Banana

I'm pretty sure someone could take cannon fodder and replace the soldiers with penguins ; wouldn't be "substantially new development" but would meet the letter of that rule. Ultimately we have to trust the developers to truthfully declare what is new and what is reuse.

In other news, please could someone make Penguin Fodder happen.
Old 15 May 2019, 23:02   #8
Puggsy
Banned

Err if you guys ever do this again (can't blame you if you don't ever, after what happened), you should just make a rule that says that the game must be 100% original content. No unofficial ports, no licenses you don't own, nothing like that.

Putting that rule in the previous contest would have not allowed Rygar NOR All Valley to participate.
Old 16 May 2019, 12:20   #9
vulture

Why so much scrutiny? Why would ports not be allowed? Are we to assume that judges have amoeba-level of IQ and they can't discern between a well made conversion of an arcade game and a cannon fodder version where soldiers are replaced by penguins? And all that just because jojo decided to throw a tantrum?

Last edited by vulture; 16 May 2019 at 13:32.
Old 16 May 2019, 12:23   #10
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
Why so much scrutiny? Why would ports not be allowed? Are we to assume that judges have amoeba-levelof IQ and they can't discern between a well made conversion of an arcade game and a cannon fodder version where soldiers are replaced by penguins? And all that just because jojo decided to throw a tantrum?
I couldn't agree more.

Less talk about Jojo and more diversity and ideas in future competitions is what is needed here.
Old 16 May 2019, 12:31   #11
robinsonb5

Quote:
I couldn't agree more.

Less talk about Jojo and more diversity and ideas in future competitions is what is needed here.
Well for what it's worth, I'm happy to donate again.
Old 23 May 2019, 08:59   #12
MikeyG

Quote:
I couldn't agree more.

I agree.
I think we need to review the rules if there is another competition. I'm up for judging again.
I saw that E-Penguin said he was involved in the writing the rules initially. Maybe need to work on communicating with judges prior to next competition to finalise them.
Old 23 May 2019, 13:21   #13
kikems

I think it's not a good idea put limits to the competition. We not have a lot of coders doing games, limit participation can be bad.

I think it's best define some point from start depend of few things, and compleat with judge votes. For example, judge can assign a max of 50 point per game, and the other 50 points can be obtained from a table, with this method all people and projects can compite.

- Game concept: Original 10 point, clone or port 5 points.
- Graphics source: Original graphics by pixel art 10 point, Original graphics from photoshop or 3D and simply downscale and reduce colors 7 points, ripped graphics from other resources/games 2 points.
- Language code: ASM 10 points, C sources 7 points, Amos/Blitz or similar 5 points, gamemaker 2 points.
- Sound/Music: Original compositions 10 points, sampled original music 4 points, sampled ripped music 0 points.
- Target machine: All Amigas 10 point, stock OCS 8 points, only stock AGA 6 points, only classic Amiga with out limit CPU or mem 5 points, only AmigaNG 4 points.

All this things suppose 50% of points, the rest of 50 points can be obtained by judge vote about playability, game design , etc... . You can make a game with game maker and if you make a very playable and enjoable game you can win vs a poor asm game, it's difficult but possible.

It's only an idea
Old 23 May 2019, 13:52   #14
roondar

I'd agree that allowing more different entries would be a good idea. But I'm not so keen on putting OCS/512K games in competition with AGA/060/32+MB games.

So I'd say that either having two categories (stock A500/everything else) or three categories (stock A500/stock A1200/everything else) might be a better idea than a pure points one.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on the matter.
Old 23 May 2019, 14:59   #15
mcgeezer

I like that idea as well although I don't see a problem with an OCS game going up against an AGA/060... the points deduction would compensate for that.

I don't mind either way... I'll happily donate some money in but I won't be taking part (if I do I'd be divorced):
Old 23 May 2019, 15:14   #16
roondar

Quote:
I don't mind either way... I'll happily donate some money in but I won't be taking part (if I do I'd be divorced):
Outrun AGA confirmed
Old 23 May 2019, 15:23   #17
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
Outrun AGA confirmed
Ha! Man don't tempt me!
Old 23 May 2019, 16:31   #18
arcanist

4KB game competition!
Old 23 May 2019, 17:36   #19
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanist View Post
4KB game competition!
I wonder if I could do flappy bird in 4K.

"The Flappy Bird 4K Amiga Coding Challenge Compo"

Now that's a challenge!
Old 23 May 2019, 17:40   #20
roondar

Would be even more interesting if all data & code have to fit in 4KB even while the game is running and including screen buffers. Getting a full screen display will be tricky that way, though not impossible.