English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 04 June 2007, 02:22   #21
captainxod
Just another angry gamer

did anyone here manage to defeat the game on Amiga? IIRC, I got to the third round of Dragon Island. If you did, what was the final boss?

The hardest island for me was always Robot Island. There seemed to be questionable collision detection with the projectiles.

basically , if you could get past Dracula on Monster Island you could get a long way. But getting to him without dieing was damn hard. If you died in the last round, you lost your speed, rainbow speed and rainbows, so the Dracula was impossible. That's why you needed to get permanent powerups beforehand, which was a major mission in itself.
Old 04 June 2007, 06:29   #22
VermillioN

I had a pretty short temper when it came to games a long time ago..
Thanks to the EAB league slamtilt I'm starting to relive those happy moments lol..

any game where you can be either very lucky, or very unlucky is a recipe for a vat of boiling blood..

Old 04 June 2007, 07:55   #23
shillard

F-29 Retaliator - annoying because of all the DAMN DIRTY BUGS!!!!!!
Old 04 June 2007, 09:57   #24
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainxod
basically , if you could get past Dracula on Monster Island you could get a long way. But getting to him without dieing was damn hard. If you died in the last round, you lost your speed, rainbow speed and rainbows, so the Dracula was impossible. That's why you needed to get permanent powerups beforehand, which was a major mission in itself.
Maybe it's just me, but I find the Dracula boss very easy in the arcade version, but when it comes to the Amiga version I just cannot do it.
Old 04 June 2007, 10:39   #25
captainxod
Just another angry gamer

yeah, I found the arcade version easier also.

on the Amiga, Dracula was like this:

no powerups: impossible (he moves faster than you)
boots (walk speedup): excruciatingly hard (managed it only once)
boots + red pot (double rainbows): extremely hard
boots + yellow pot (rainbow speedup): extremely hard (requires lots of running jumping and firing)
boots + 2x red pot (triple rainbows): extremely hard (harder than double rainbows because it takes longer for them to extend)
boots + yellow pot + red pot: hard
boots + 2x red pot + yellow pot: average (easy if you know exactly where to position and exactly when to collapse rainbows on him)

that's from memory so it may not be fully accurate.
Old 04 June 2007, 12:10   #26
Marcuz

well there's frustrating and frustrating...

1)frustrating because you don't have the manual and you really don't get how to make your character (or whatever subjet/s in the game) do that one action or more that you really need to pass the first few screens:

Captive
Syndicate
(altough on this one i cannot be sure, it could frustrate me even if i would know how to control the game)
the Prophet
Evil's Doom
(this one too, other than the lack of that unrenounceable bit of info, it has frustrating flicker problems on winuae)
Abandoned Places
Global Effect
Populous 1
(the sequels were fine)

then there's frustration creeping in the game, even if you know how to control it:

Lionhart
Lupo Alberto
Wrath of the Demon
Cybernoid II the revenge
(were the producers kidding with this one?)
Rockford (i've never even finished one single level, and i've tried various hundreds of times...)

however, of those, but Lionhart, the other ones are games that, no matter how frustrating you like to start up once in a while, because of the feeling, the ambientation etc.

last there's frustrating because of bugs or really bad design...

Dragon's Lair,
Legend of Ragnarok,
Legend of Valour,
etc.

(and these ones too. you ends up liking, as long they were not original! )

but there is also frustrating = good, games you don't finish but that keep you company for hours nevertheless, with some progress, like Troddlers...
Old 04 June 2007, 12:25   #27
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legerdemain
Shadow of the Beast II.

1. Load. Load. Load. Load. Load. Load. Load. Cut-scene. Cut-scene. Cut-scene. Cut-scene. Load. Load. Load. Load. Load. Load. Play. For tvo minutes. Die. Load. Load. Load. Load. Load. Load. Load. Ending picture. Load. Load. Load. Load. Load. Load.

2. Goto 1.

WHDload..load..load... WHDLoad...
Old 04 June 2007, 12:40   #28
Legerdemain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid
WHDload..load..load... WHDLoad...
Well, it would still be VERY time consuming just getting to play for a couple of minutes... since you always have to watch the introduction and the ending sequence, no matter how quick they load.
Old 04 June 2007, 12:41   #29
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
V1.2 Done By Mr.Larmer
New features:
- skip intro by left mouse button,
- skip text screens in intro by right mouse button,
Old 04 June 2007, 16:32   #30
Dizzy
Pirate

I remember playing a bad crack of Maniac Mansion, and you couldn't open one of the main doors Did I try a lot of things to get the damn game to work.
Playing the good crack makes it a joy to play
Old 05 June 2007, 00:05   #31
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
You got him KG!!
Old 05 June 2007, 00:42   #32
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Last Ninja 2.
No further explanation needed.
Old 05 June 2007, 00:53   #33
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Anyone vote for the Future Wars pin hole to put flag into?
Old 05 June 2007, 02:28   #34
Legerdemain

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
Oh, I see... completely missed out on those features (the last version I tried didn't offer those). But, on the other hand, at the time I possibly could have been interested in playing the game seriously (some 15 years ago or so) WHDLoad wasn't an option... and today I think the game is ranked rather high on my 'crap deluxe' list, so it doesn't really matter. Though, a nice thing for those who actually enjoy playing the game...
Old 05 June 2007, 08:39   #35
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI
Anyone vote for the Future Wars pin hole to put flag into?
First try, no prob at all.... but managing to get behind the boxes before the invicibility pill wore off took a couple of tries.
Old 05 June 2007, 09:03   #36
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclaw
First try, no prob at all....
Bah you must have been one of those rich lads with a nice High Def 1084s!

My 14" portable was like playing whilst wearing Mr Magoo glasses!
Old 05 June 2007, 10:52   #37
Legerdemain

The flag wasn't really a problem for me either, but at least I was playing with a RGB-cable connected to my CRT-TV (razor-sharp picture, I had).

Though, I tried to play through the game rather recently, but when entering the sanctuary with all them hooded monks walking around in a square pattern (one is supposed to enter the sanctuary and very quickly start walking in the same way as they do... after having put on one of their dresses) I get caught even before I manage to do something. I can't help it, but it feels like the game is running to fast... way too fast... (I'm using the latest WHDLoad-slave). Have I stumbled across a bug, or am I just crappy?
Old 05 June 2007, 15:21   #38
laffer
Zone Friend

I have to disagree with Shadow of the Beast 2 - I thought it was great fun and I wasn't frustrated by it.. I died a lot but I loved getting a little further every time. And I got pretty good at it in the end

The most frustrating I can think of right now would be the absolutely horrible Amiga port of Last Ninja 2 - I had to make a longplay of that one as I was making longplays of the other Amiga LN ports.. and I can't remember when I last had such a completely boring time. It's just incredibly bad and the controls make it frustrating as hell.
Old 05 June 2007, 18:11   #39
adgloride
Amiga Mod Chipper

Wings was the most frustrating to me. I spent days building up my pilot and had 144 kills. I failed 2 missions and on the 3rd mission I have to take down 8 planes. I've no chance and have to either die or fail the mission and get dismissed.
Old 06 June 2007, 08:49   #40
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgloride
Wings was the most frustrating to me. I spent days building up my pilot and had 144 kills. I failed 2 missions and on the 3rd mission I have to take down 8 planes. I've no chance and have to either die or fail the mission and get dismissed.
I agree... but never got that far. Funny but I loaded Wings on GBA and it somehow had lost something over the years. Whereas some Amiga games still seem just as good now..