English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 16 November 2018, 16:47   #1
demolition
Unregistered User

Help with checking content of raw dump

I am in the process of dumping some disks and came across some that doesn't seen to contain much as far as I can see. The three disks are supposedly containing the Hugo game, but they are not originals so I would expect them to just be plain DOS disks. However, I can only identify content on disk 1 track 0.0. The rest are neither AmigaDOS or MFM tracks. Kaffer's disk-analyse does not recognize them either so do they actually contain anything?

Booting off disk 1 in a real Amiga causes it to read a few tracks and then stop at a black screen, however this is in an accelerated Amiga so it is not a proper test but I do not have a plain Amiga around right now to test it with.

I have put the raw files here and was hoping someone else could check them out and verify whether they are indeed empty:
https://rushfiles.one/client/publicl...?id=g4JRGmcrF4

It just seems odd to me that one track on disk 1 is AmigaDOS and the rest are unidentified as if it was a protected original..

Edit: And checking the boot block, it does seem to have contained something from Hugo since there is a string there with 'Er du gal, hvor jeg hader crackere - hilsen Hugo', so it does seem to fit the label.
Old 08 November 2019, 10:55   #2
Zer0-X

Almost a year has gone by so...

You don't have any idea what was used to copy those disks?

They are in a custom format so they're clearly made from original disks.

Trying to load the raw data in WinUAE shows it tries repeatedly to read track 2 so there's clearly some kind of a error on on that track atleast.

Having better knowledge on the situation requires disassembling the loader code so the tracks could be tested.
Old 08 November 2019, 11:51   #3
demolition
Unregistered User

I have no idea what was used, however I had since come across another copy (from a different source) of the same game which dumped quite similar, i.e. track 0 as DOS and the rest unknown, so perhaps it was 'common knowledge' among some people back then how they could copy this game.

My best guess would be perhaps X-Copy Nibblecopy / Cyclone or PowerCopy? Which other tools were common back then?
Old 08 November 2019, 13:08   #4
Pfloyd

You may try examining the WHDLoad slave sourcecode for this game.
http://www.whdload.de/games/SkaermtroldenHugo.html

Apparently this game uses a custom format with three different MFM syncwords:
_sync3=$8912
_sync2=$8944
_sync1=$4489
Old 09 November 2019, 13:34   #5
sTe

I know someone had some disks where track 0 was dos and the rest not readable.
I think they was action replay 1.5? disks... I think they only way they got ripped was to use Amiga and the Amiga version of kryoflux software to create a CTRAW image.

We could them drag n drop the RAW file into Amiga Forever and it booted up fine.
Old 09 November 2019, 16:19   #6
BarryB
Amigaholic

Seems that dump is bad or the copy it was created from! I created a CT RAW from the streams of Disk 1 but it won't boot past track 2 and the WHDLoad installer sticks at the same track, in fact if you ignore the error there are problems with other tracks so it's a bad dump or copy!

Seems to be Skærmtrolden Hugo as it's on 3 disks and SPS has no IPF listed for it!

Last edited by BarryB; 09 November 2019 at 16:25.
Old 09 November 2019, 18:37   #7
Zer0-X

After a bit of headscratching, try this.

Edit: New files, should be completely error free and fully working now.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Hugo.zip (2.37 MB, 171 views)

Last edited by Zer0-X; 10 November 2019 at 21:46. Reason: Files replaced.