English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 18 April 2022, 12:23   #3001
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Whether it is possible I do not know, but it is at least not advisable. The trouble is that some software uses hard-coded offsets/addresses to distinguish between chip mem and expansion RAM, and then takes action according to the outcome of this comparison. One particular piece of software that comes to my mind is the old P96 release you find in Aminet. It uses such a comparison to understand whether it can offload a blit to the native blitter, or needs to emulate it with the CPU.
But then P96 will decide it won't use the blitter for anything above 2MB and use the CPU which in the case of a Vampire seems to be the better option anyway. Or am I missing anything?
Old 19 April 2022, 10:26   #3002
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

3000 replies, a milestone
Old 19 April 2022, 15:02   #3003
wiz12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
3000 replies, a milestone

And a lot of them are mine.
Old 19 April 2022, 15:26   #3004
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
But then P96 will decide it won't use the blitter for anything above 2MB and use the CPU which in the case of a Vampire seems to be the better option anyway. Or am I missing anything?

Whether that's the better option I do not know, but at least the decision is made based on false information, or rather, it is the wrong decision taken on correct information. Again, it's all fixed on my end, but I doubt that P96 is the only piece of software that (albeit incorrectly) operated like this. In a vivit alive market, one wouldn't really care as buggy software would be replaced by less buggy versions, but we don't have that luxury in Amiga land.
Old 19 April 2022, 15:49   #3005
grond

Actually we still have new WHDload bugfixes made and I would assume we would know about software breaking from more than 2MB chipmem present by now. UAE has offered this option for a long time now.
Old 20 April 2022, 02:57   #3006
lmimmfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican3 View Post
winuae can emulate an amiga with 8 meg chip why the vampire can't or didn't do it ? Is it possible in theory ?
Quite sure it is limited because of the number of physical address lines(traces) from the mobo to the Fatter Agnus/Alice chip and the Amiga memory map.

FPGAs and emulators can easily get around the problem but for a real Amiga would need a new motherboard with additional address lines and a new Agnus/Alice chip(I.e. not going to happen unfortunately)
The vampire does allow 8 Meg chip but only where the chips are "simulated" in the FPGA, I.e. when not using the physical chips set.

Generally from a chip perspective its quite expensive to increase the address lines on a mobo and to design a chip with more pins(just more complex) hence why chipram increased gradually over the Amiga's lifespan.

If only the Ranger was released and there was true VRAM support

Last edited by lmimmfn; 20 April 2022 at 03:14.
Old 21 April 2022, 12:27   #3007
NLS
Ancient User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshft View Post
@Firestone:
Yes it was already extremely common on the C64. Some crunchers did let you choose the effect register.
Background color (IIRC $D020), foreground color ($D021), horizontal screen offset ($D016) or even the sound volume register (I think it was $D418). Choosing the latter and and there would be no color bars but some scratching noise during unpack.
I also remember that you also could choose "none" and then there was absolutely no effect, while waiting.

Like paraj I think it was both. Nice and also to let you know the pgm doesn't hang. Like those moving circles you now see everywhere on many different platforms when you wait. Hey, they could replace them with color bars
My childhood is full of this effect. :P
Old 30 May 2022, 19:16   #3008
Team_Hoi
Former Amiga game creator

Big grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Is it true that "Hoi" is "Hello" in German?
Hahaha, no, it is "Hi" in the Dutch language. I used to say it to my cat when he entered the room, leaving away the cat's name. His name just became "Hoi". Around that time, when I created the Hoi character, it was the first silly name that came up.

It happened to sound Asian as well, and we were big fans of Japanese games.
Old 30 May 2022, 19:26   #3009
zx80

Hoi means Hi in german speaking parts of Switzerland. Often combined with Hoi zäme for hello together
Old 30 May 2022, 19:33   #3010
Team_Hoi

Big grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx80 View Post
hoi means hi in german speaking parts of switzerland. Often combined with hoi zäme for hello together
Haha, so the game title must sound weird to Swiss people as well, like over here in the Netherlands.
Old 30 May 2022, 19:43   #3011
zx80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Hoi View Post
Haha, so the game title must sound weird to Swiss people as well, like over here in the Netherlands.
For me it was "Team Hello" from the beginning. Doesn‘t sound strange, but open/polite/welcoming to others.
Old 30 May 2022, 20:06   #3012
nogginthenog
Amigan

I have an X-Surf 100 in my A4000. Great bit of kit.
RapidRoad (USB) supports either the X-Surf 100 or a clockport.

Does my X-Surf 100 have a clockport?
Old 30 May 2022, 20:39   #3013
Team_Hoi

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx80 View Post
For me it was "Team Hello" from the beginning. Doesn‘t sound strange, but open/polite/welcoming to others.
Good to read that.
Old 31 May 2022, 08:35   #3014
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
I have an X-Surf 100 in my A4000. Great bit of kit.
RapidRoad (USB) supports either the X-Surf 100 or a clockport.

Does my X-Surf 100 have a clockport?
The X-Surf 100 doesn't have a clock port. The RapidRoad is plugged into the wide pin header with the legend High speed USB module written above it.

A clock port version of the RapidRoad can work with the X-Surf 100, but the lower cost X-Surf 100 version of the RapidRoad will have its clock port disabled and can only be used with the X-Surf 100.

Individual Computers has a rather comprehensive wiki where you can read more about their hardware at http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/Main_Page
Old 31 May 2022, 09:47   #3015
zx80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Hoi View Post
Good to read that.
You are welcome.
Old 31 May 2022, 20:33   #3016
nogginthenog
Amigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
The X-Surf 100 doesn't have a clock port. The RapidRoad is plugged into the wide pin header with the legend High speed USB module written above it.
Thanks.
Old 04 June 2022, 21:42   #3017
OmaOhneBH

Watzatthread?
Old 07 June 2022, 13:30   #3018
paul1981

Amiga guide icons sometimes have this tooltype below:

FILETYPE=TEXT|ASCII|AMIGAGUIDE

Does MultiView actually read these? I think not. If not, what does, and where did these tooltypes come from originally?

Same goes for some text files:

TYPE=TEXT|ASCII

I got these examples from the Amigadev cd, but I know I've seen them elsewhere and on stuff downloaded from Aminet.

FILETYPE=ILBM

Deluxe Paint saves the above tooltype in picture icons. What the heck uses them? Is it some Commodore-era file search tool or something? Or it it just supposed to be informative to the user?

Last edited by paul1981; 07 June 2022 at 14:05.
Old 08 June 2022, 10:48   #3019
rabidgerry

Do all LCD type monitors suffer from motion blur when using an Amiga with it?

Was playing BC Kid the other week and when you hop on the tree in some levels I noticed the motion blur more than I have ever noticed it before.
Old 08 June 2022, 20:18   #3020
paul1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
Do all LCD type monitors suffer from motion blur when using an Amiga with it?

Was playing BC Kid the other week and when you hop on the tree in some levels I noticed the motion blur more than I have ever noticed it before.
LCD's suffer from motion-blur full stop! Always amazes me when I fire up the superior CRT to actually see motion correctly in all it's in-focus fluid glory! All that I will say is 50Hz games obviously show it up more than 25Hz games, so maybe BC Kid is a 50Hz game?

Modern VDU's suck backside to me. Nor do I go to the cinema any more for much the same reasons...Crap contrast, image is blurry unless nothing moves, and the sound is about 50 times louder than it should be (maybe 500). It's really quite something isn't it when you can watch a film at home with better definition and sound than at the cinema (just when you thought I couldn't insult the cinema any more...I just did).