English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 01 February 2022, 17:47   #1
spudje

Games stored on NAS, downloaded when 1st time played functionality?

Inspired by the RetroNAS https://github.com/danmons/retronas/

Since I have multiple Amigas wouldn't it be cool to have your WHDLoad collection centrally managed on a NAS, updated using the cool download tool http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...+download+tool and have WHDLoad, iGame or some other Amiga side tool manage a list of the available games in that central collection and download the game data when you want to play it for the first time.

I know you can mount a SMB share on the Amiga and point iGame to that as collection, but I guess running the games from the share will not be fast enough.

Ideally you can make this more advanced with keeping the icon files locally with system specific tooltypes if they would differ for the different Amiga systems you have. And also when the central repository has an updated game, redownload that when playing it again.

Mmm, come to think of it, it would probably require the games to be stored as lha and then extract on the Amiga after download since some game data doesn't like non-amiga filesystems.

Or does something like this already exist?
Old 01 February 2022, 18:50   #2
kriz

You need to disable the tcp/ip stack before running whdload games, so might not be so easy :/
Old 01 February 2022, 22:50   #3
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

Well, if it copies from NAS to local storage first, and runs the copy, that'd take care of that problem. Of course, it means you need a launcher that does the work, rather than just run WHDLoad directly.