English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 29 May 2021, 21:22   #1
ugrnm

Unhappy [SOLVED] AmigaOS 3.2 + A600 + Furia = black screen

UPDATE FOR THOSE COMING FROM A SEARCH ENGINE: YOU NEED AT LEAST FIRMWARE 14.1 TO BOOT 3.2 ON ANY FÚRIA REVISIONS.

Hello!

I just installed 3.2 over a fully working 3.1.4.1 and the only thing I'm getting is black screen.

This is my setup:
  • A600
  • Furia (with 13.0, was working fine with 3.1.4.1 without workarounds)
  • Indivision ECS v2
  • A604n
  • SD IDE adapter
  • Kickstart 3.1.4 (did not flash yet 3.2, read on)
  • PFS aio 3.1
Everything was working super fine under 3.1.4, stable, fast, etc.

I made a set of floppies from the ADF files on the CD, and booted into the install disk, the installation went perfectly fine. I did not flash a new EPROM, because I just wanted to give it a go right away and read that it should not be a problem, it would just mean an extra reboot.

After the end of the installation, I rebooted and had nothing but a black screen after the initial probing of the floppy drive.

Out of curiosity, I booted in a 3.1.4 workbench floppy, and loaded the 3.2 kickstart into the Furia's memory via the maprom option. I rebooted and it was the same. The only difference is that I can now access the new boot menu, unfortunately nothing that I tried helped (failsafe mode, boot without startup script, etc), it's always a black screen.

Any idea of something I could try to do?

Last edited by ugrnm; 09 April 2023 at 16:59.
Old 29 May 2021, 23:46   #2
shaf

have you installed the 3.2 mmu libs , I know the TF536 requires them to activate the IDE Interface thinking the Furia is similar according to the 3.2 FAQ. The recommendation is contact Furia for latest Firmware update.
Old 29 May 2021, 23:53   #3
bubbob42

1.5 Do you have any tips that can help me with 3.2 using my current hardware and software combination?
Yes, here is a list that we compiled for you:
[…]
f) If you are using a Fúria accelerator, please contact its vendor or manufacturer to make sure you are using the latest firmware. Old firmware seems to be the cause of multiple faults and issues. Also, this accelerator seems to be extremely picky on what flash storage media brands it will work with.
Old 30 May 2021, 01:08   #4
ugrnm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaf View Post
have you installed the 3.2 mmu libs , I know the TF536 requires them to activate the IDE Interface thinking the Furia is similar according to the 3.2 FAQ. The recommendation is contact Furia for latest Firmware update.
I did not install the 3.2 mmu libs, I thought it was not concerning the Furia because it's a a 68EC020, and the `cpu-faq.readme` file seems mostly concerned about 68030 and higher. The answer to the question about 68020-based Amiga, also say that a CPU library is not needed if there are no 68851 MMU chip.

Anyway, I just tried now, and nope, still the same.

Regarding contacting the developer of the Furia, I am planning to do that as last resort. I'm still not 100% sure where the problem comes from. I have the latest firmware, and it was working all fine under 3.1.4.1 (I believe the FAQ was based on all the issues that emerged when 3.1.4 got released),
Old 30 May 2021, 21:35   #5
Jolabandola

I am in the exact same predicament. My A600 Furia was having problems with 3.1.4 so i even had it sent off to Lotharek for a flash to the latest firmware. After that everything worked perfectly fine.
Now here i am back at square one again with 3.2. I plugged the new rom in and booted but all i get is a black screen and the hdd light stays on. It wont even let me boot from the install floppy.
The thing is that last time i had my Furia sent for an upgrade i had some problems getting it to work again. My cpu has been removed once and the pins arent perfect anymore so i really dont want to take it out again.
I am afraid that if a firmware upgrade is what is needed then i will have to do it myself somehow.
Old 31 May 2021, 01:10   #6
ugrnm

I sent an email to both the furia and furiatune authors, I hope we hear back from them soon, granted 3.2 is just out and they may not have a copy yet.

Upgrading the furia yourself is not impossible, but it's a bit convoluted. Here are my notes https://moddingfridays.bleu255.com/F...irmware_update
Old 31 May 2021, 11:15   #7
Boboo_SK
Develop HW

I don't have Amiga OS3.2 available yet, waiting to be delivered.
The latest Firmware is 13.1, it has not been released yet.
Old 31 May 2021, 15:45   #8
ugrnm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boboo_SK View Post
I don't have Amiga OS3.2 available yet, waiting to be delivered.
The latest Firmware is 13.1, it has not been released yet.

Thanks for checking in this thread!

Looking forward to hear back from your experience with 3.2!
Old 05 June 2021, 23:20   #9
Jolabandola

Tonight out of curiosity i tried installing 3.2 on my Furia 600 with the 3.1.4 roms in it to see if that would work. Same issues. It just freezes up with a lit hdd light on.
Old 06 June 2021, 18:47   #10
joedredd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolabandola View Post
Tonight out of curiosity i tried installing 3.2 on my Furia 600 with the 3.1.4 roms in it to see if that would work. Same issues. It just freezes up with a lit hdd light on.
I'm about ready to give this a whirl but looks like I've run out of time for today. How far did you get through the process?
Old 06 June 2021, 18:59   #11
joedredd

Ah...so on an A600 with KS3.1.4 ROMS I booted off the AmigaOS 3.2 Modules (A600) disk. It did the reboot thing, then booted off the disk again before giving a blank screen and the HDD light permanently lit.
Interestingly soft rebooting back to my 3.1.4 HD0 install did the same until a complete power off reset.
I guess the next thing to try is load KS3.2 into the Furia and try again.
Then wait for my KS3.2 ROMS.
If that still fails...I guess flash the Furia.

Furia status:
FPU on
Cache on
IDESpeedup off
Old 06 June 2021, 19:49   #12
bubbob42

If you have 3.1.4 ROMs installed, please try deleting V47 scsi.device from devs: (it would possibly sit in a subfolder A500/A600/A2000 or something)
or move it to another directory outside of devs:.
Old 07 June 2021, 12:32   #13
Jolabandola

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedredd View Post
I'm about ready to give this a whirl but looks like I've run out of time for today. How far did you get through the process?
Everything installed just fine up until finished the install and rebooted. Then nothing
Old 07 June 2021, 20:54   #14
ugrnm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbob42 View Post
If you have 3.1.4 ROMs installed, please try deleting V47 scsi.device from devs: (it would possibly sit in a subfolder A500/A600/A2000 or something)
or move it to another directory outside of devs:.

Thanks! That did the trick I can boot into 3.2 now! Haven't checked everything in details yet, will report if other weird things happen.

So are we loosing any specific improvements if we rely on scsi.device from 3.1.4? Also I suppose that with KS 3.2, the trick would not work right? Unless a custom KS is made?
Old 07 June 2021, 21:45   #15
Jolabandola

That is some good news I feel tempted to give it another try now.
Have you tried with the 3.2 Kickstart after you deleted V47 scsi.device? Or does that only work with 3.1.4 roms?

Edit: Tried it and it kind of worked. I installed 3.2 on my real Amiga, plugged the SD-card into my pc and deleted scsi.device in Winuae. Plugged the card back in the Amiga and got 3.2 to boot.
The weird things that i noticed was that IDE-speed and shadow rom didn't work anymore. The settings didn't get saved in Furiatune after a reboot no matter what i did. The other thing is that i lost my DF0:
Called it quits and moved my 3.1.4 image over to the sd-card again

Last edited by Jolabandola; 07 June 2021 at 23:32. Reason: Update on experiment
Old 07 June 2021, 23:51   #16
bubbob42

This will only work with V46 ROMs, not V47.

The scsi.device of V47 uses exec/ReadGayle() to detect the Gayle version instead of the custom routine used before. That seems to have broken the neck of the Furia and the TF328/TF330. Since it works well with the real Gayles in A600/A1200 (or at least we had no reports telling us otherwise), I suspect the aforementioned cards don’t set the correct Gayle IDs in their firmware.

Just a theory. Could be our fault, too. No one's blaming anyone. Just sayin’.
Old 08 June 2021, 21:32   #17
ugrnm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolabandola View Post
The weird things that i noticed was that IDE-speed and shadow rom didn't work anymore. The settings didn't get saved in Furiatune after a reboot no matter what i did. The other thing is that i lost my DF0:
Called it quits and moved my 3.1.4 image over to the sd-card again
Weird, shadowrom works fine here. Can't really speak about the settings being saved or not though, I always start it manually. Also no problem to report with DF0:

If you can, try reinstall it, and when you're done and ready to reboot, delete the file, then "proceed" to reboot. It should do its boot/reboot loop to compensate for the lack of KS 3.2 and then you should end up in workbench. Then you can `furiatune shadowrom reboot` and you're good to go.

Quote:
This will only work with V46 ROMs, not V47.

The scsi.device of V47 uses exec/ReadGayle() to detect the Gayle version instead of the custom routine used before. That seems to have broken the neck of the Furia and the TF328/TF330. Since it works well with the real Gayles in A600/A1200 (or at least we had no reports telling us otherwise), I suspect the aforementioned cards don’t set the correct Gayle IDs in their firmware.

Just a theory. Could be our fault, too. No one's blaming anyone. Just sayin’.
Thanks a lot for helping finding a workaround and possible culprit. Let's wait for Boris to reply now

You did not reply to one of my question though, are we missing on crucial improvements by relying on this old scsi.device file? (beside not being able to use KS 3.2)
Old 08 June 2021, 23:40   #18
bubbob42

Quote:
You did not reply to one of my question though, are we missing on crucial improvements by relying on this old scsi.device file? (beside not being able to use KS 3.2)
Please insert the 3.2 CD and immerse yourself into the release notes of scsi.device, which can be found in the NDK folder.

Perhaps this would help Boris, too.
Old 09 June 2021, 23:37   #19
ugrnm

Quote:
Please insert the 3.2 CD and immerse yourself into the release notes of scsi.device, which can be found in the NDK folder.

Aaaaaaaaah! Thanks
Old 13 September 2021, 20:13   #20
CCRider

Has anyone succeeded on getting ROM 3.2 to work on a Furia EC020 equipped A600? Or we’ll have to wait for an eventual firmware update for this accelerator?