English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 23 May 2012, 00:21   #1
OSH

Burning CD under ShapeShifter + WinUAE

Hi! I have (maybe stupid) question.
Is it possible to burn CD under Shapeshifter, which is under WinUAE on Windows? Mounting physical DVD under WinUAE isn't problem. Under Shapeshifter and real Amiga - without problems also. But under Shapeshifter+WinUAE?
Old 23 May 2012, 00:33   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

It should work in principle. The only problem I can forsee in burning CDs is buffer underruns caused by the two layers of emulation, but aren't most modern burners are protected against that?

You'll just have to try it and see, unless someone else has already done so.
Old 23 May 2012, 01:26   #3
OSH

The big question is - how I should set-up my "SCSI" driver under ShapeShifter, so that SHapeshifter recognizes my DVD? I've tested "uaescsi.device" unit 0 and 1, direct transfer - and nothing...
Old 23 May 2012, 09:03   #4
thomas

You need to change the SCSI access method in WinUAE's misc panel from SCSI emulation to one of the other options, whichever works for you.
Old 24 May 2012, 10:15   #5
OSH

Well...It works, but only partially...I've changed SCSI setting in WinUAE to SPTI+SCSI SCAN, starts WinAUE - under AmigaOS3.9 and CacheCDFS disk is visible. I've started shapeshifter, Macos8.1 booting up...after booting I see no CD icon on desktop. I've started Toast CD ROM PRO 3.0.3 - "no cd recorder detected". Toast 4.1.2 deluxe - it detect my DVD. ok. I want to burn mixed mode CD (data on track one, other tacks with audio). I've added data track, audio tracks, klicked Write CD, write DISC...writing starts, but after a while I've got a message "mode select failed" and CD is ejected.
Next time i've used "use generic CD driver". on MacOS desktop a CD icon is visible. Starts toast, added data, added audio - and all hangs immediately. Under Macos 7.6.1 situation is nearly the same, but when I insert a blank cd, MacOS talks to me "This disc isn't recognizable. shall I initialize it?" Of course, when I click "Initialize, I've got a message "initialization failed because this disc is locked". When I uncheck "use generic CD ROM driver" - situation is like I'ver described over with MacOS 8.1.
When I set "direct transfer"- MacOS hangs during booting, and I shall kill winuae.exe process in Task Manager. But after this - next launching of WinUAE is impossible - it hangs on start. And now winuae.exe can't be killed.
Any suggestions?
Old 24 May 2012, 16:21   #6
thomas

The main question is: what is your goal.

Is it to get a working CD? Or is it important to use Shapeshifter for writing CDs?

If it's the former, then I'd suggest to use Toast or whatever to create an ISO image file for the data part then copy all image files to an Amiga or Windows directory and use an Amiga or Windows burning program to write the CD.

If it's important for you to use Shapeshifter for burining then you probably need some assistance from Toni to find out whether it's a problem with your settings or if WinUAE does something wrong.

Last edited by thomas; 24 May 2012 at 16:27.
Old 24 May 2012, 16:38   #7
OSH

Well...I want simply know it is possible or not...under PC it is possible only with Basilisk II 1.42 and Toast 4.1.2. Other versions doesn't work. In fact, first I would try to make mixed-mode image under Mac-Emulator (Basilisk, Sheepshaver or Shapeshifter). But this is not possible - only under MACOS X can make such image. If I want to play old Mac game (for example Chaos Overlords or Civilization II Gold, which have audiotracks on CD, I have to burn physical CD, because I haven't found any tool to make mixed-mode CD under MacOS, then mount image and play game without physical CD.
Old 24 May 2012, 16:46   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I am not sure if CD burning can work 100% reliably because direct SCSI sends commands directly to low level device driver bypassing high level (CD filesystem) drivers.

Normal reads and other status polling works fine because they are short and stateless commands. Drive receiving bad commands (like read requests and similar) while writing probably causes all kinds of strange side effects..

I guess it should work better if Windows CD filesystem can be told to ignore inserted CD completely. Not sure if it is possible. (Similar to direct HD access where only one process can have block level write access)
Old 24 May 2012, 16:52   #9
OSH

Well better I will retreat...I think, Toni has fully right. Under Basilisk it works, but Basilisk has better SCSI-support. Hmm, Toni, I know, this isn't WinUAE topic, but have you tried launch an demo "Odyssey" by Alcatraz? Newer version of WinUAE have much problems with this demo (especially with WHDLoad).