English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 02 April 2010, 23:27   #1
nickaliath

amiga 1200 harddrive install etc help

Hello all,

im planning to revive my amiga 1200, i want to install a harddrive.

so im gonna purchase a cable and hardrive thats the easy part, but what else do i need to do and how do i do it???

Ive got no discs with my amiga anymore, they've gone missing over the years. ive also got to get myself a new mouse.

Is there anything else that might be worth upgrading on the system??

can i install games to the harddrive and play direct from it, if yes how do i do this also.

sorry for all the questions

thanks in advance.

Old 03 April 2010, 00:20   #2
hit

hi and welcome,

- to transfer files to your amiga you can buy EasyADF.
the disk-images (Workbench) you can find using google - cannot posted here, due to copyright issues.
- HD-runable games you can find on Killergorilla's page. These packs are based on WHDload.
- A stock A1200 has not that much memory (2 MB) - so a ram-card or better an accellerator board (with 68030 cpu) and 8 or more MB is a nice addition.
- those boards with more than 8MB ram option do not interfere with the pcmcia port - so its better to find one, with such option. some pop-up on ebay, the eab-marketplace or Amibay.
- just ask here on the board, if you have found something, worth buying.

hope this helps a bit.

Last edited by hit; 03 April 2010 at 00:31.
Old 03 April 2010, 00:34   #3
Amiga1992

You can install your hard drive's software connecting it to a PC and using WinUAE, it's the best method nowadays!

Regarding Workbench, I thought since Amiga Inc. is fucking dead we can make a major Workbench masspost?
Old 03 April 2010, 00:51   #4
hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Regarding Workbench, I thought since Amiga Inc. is fucking dead we can make a major Workbench masspost?
hehe, yep, who cares?!
Old 03 April 2010, 01:04   #5
Amiga1992

I'll ask this question to the leaders.
Old 03 April 2010, 01:06   #6
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I'll ask this question to the leaders.
...and this will be the answer:
http://eab.abime.net/faq.php?faq=eab..._ks_wb_faqitem
Old 03 April 2010, 01:13   #7
hit

i'm sure, Akira knew the answer already, but amiga.com disapearing makes people thinking this way
Old 03 April 2010, 01:17   #8
prowler
Global Moderator

The only thing that the demise of Amiga Inc. allows is the use of their erstwhile Trademarks which is about all that they still owned. And ownership of those has now been transferred to Hyperion Entertainment.
Old 03 April 2010, 01:30   #9
hit

hmm, ownership? ( http://hyperion-entertainment.biz/ ):
Quote:
Within the framework of the settlement agreement Hyperion is granted an exclusive, perpetual, worldwide right to AmigaOS 3.1 in order to use, develop, modify, commercialize, distribute and market AmigaOS 4.x ...
more a license, if you ask me.

PS: nickaliath got an interesting thread
Old 03 April 2010, 01:42   #10
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Within the framework of the settlement agreement Hyperion is granted an exclusive, perpetual, worldwide right to AmigaOS 3.1 in order to use, develop, modify, commercialize, distribute and market AmigaOS 4.x ...
That sort of license is ownership in all but name. The only thing that's excluded is transferring the right to / bestowing the right on another.
Old 03 April 2010, 01:45   #11
Cammy

I would use a CF or SD card on a small adapter rather than a hard drive, because they're faster, cooler, silent, and use no extra power like the hard drive will, so you won't risk overloading the weak PSU. 4GB is enough for Workbench, all the applications you need, and thousands of games.

If you can't find a trap-door RAM/CPU card, you might want to use a 2MB PCMCIA SRAM card for now, which will boost your A1200 up to 4MB, which is plenty for most WHDLoad games (where only 2MB is not enough for most installed games).

You can get the CF/SD adapters, as well as other useful, inexpensive expansions such as the RGB-S-Video adapter here - http://amigamaniac.com/cf_to_ide.html

The SD adapter costs more than the CF adapter, but SD cards are much cheaper and easier to find than CF.

You can get 2MB PCMCIA SRAM here - http://www.memoryx.net/bgz.html

What else do you want to do with your A1200? For playing games, you might want a control pad - http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30530
Old 03 April 2010, 02:10   #12
hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
That sort of license is ownership in all but name. The only thing that's excluded is transferring the right to / bestowing the right on another.
ok, then i'm beaten here
Old 04 April 2010, 23:40   #13
scallyman55

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickaliath View Post
Hello all,

im planning to revive my amiga 1200, i want to install a harddrive.

so im gonna purchase a cable and hardrive thats the easy part, but what else do i need to do and how do i do it???

Ive got no discs with my amiga anymore, they've gone missing over the years. ive also got to get myself a new mouse.

Is there anything else that might be worth upgrading on the system??

can i install games to the harddrive and play direct from it, if yes how do i do this also.

sorry for all the questions

thanks in advance.
I can send youworkbench 3.0 for the price of the postage....couple of quid i suppose
scallyman