English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 14 January 2021, 15:01   #221
sokolovic

Roondar, wasn't the Amiga blitter useful to draw polygon (or fill them) ?
Old 14 January 2021, 15:02   #222
Foebane
Banned

I don't know if I mentioned it on this thread already, but I thought Shadow of the Beast on ST had a better music playback routine for the title tune. On the Amiga it sounds rather stilted, to me at least.

Quote:
At the same time, the weird way that display memory is organized on the ST also gives it an advantage for raycasting. Apparently, you can use a specific instruction on the ST to allow it do CPU drawing much faster than on the Amiga (move.p). Maybe the new findings by KK/Altair show that this advantage is less pronounced than it used to be, but IIRC there's a wolvenstein like game for the Atari ST that actually runs quite decently.
When I had my ST, I noticed how Interphase on ST had a wonderful rotating and shaded cube in the loading part, whereas the Amiga didn't. I've also seen ST demos with similar shading, and noticed how they rarely show up on the Amiga (or I've missed them).

Also, Gauntlet II on Amiga (and Interphase on Amiga) had this annoying thing in the sound samples being played that started and ended with clicks on the Amiga, especially Gauntlet II. I really ought to have a look at the waveforms one day and try to work out why that happened.

Last edited by Foebane; 14 January 2021 at 15:07.
Old 14 January 2021, 15:07   #223
Valken

Not sure if this was already posted...

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 14 January 2021, 15:27   #224
NorthWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Have just read that DotC was better on ST in regard to gameplay.
BTW, anyone know how DotC II compared to the ST version?
Old 14 January 2021, 15:35   #225
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWay View Post
BTW, anyone know how DotC II compared to the ST version?
Is Defender of the Crown II even on the ST?

Not according to HOL; and as far as I'm aware, a CD32 exclusive.
Old 14 January 2021, 16:19   #226
Foebane
Banned

Wasn't Dungeon Master always lauded as being superior on the ST, originating on that machine as it did?
Old 14 January 2021, 16:50   #227
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
Roondar, wasn't the Amiga blitter useful to draw polygon (or fill them) ?
You can indeed use the Blitter to fill polygons. But it's not that easy to get it to consistently outperform a CPU based algorithm. Usually there are various situations in which CPU only is faster than using Blitter. There's been several threads about this on EAB and the overall conclusion seems to be that CPU based usually is at least comparable to a Blitter based approach and scales up to faster systems much better.
Old 14 January 2021, 17:05   #228
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
Wasn't Dungeon Master always lauded as being superior on the ST, originating on that machine as it did?
I read that Amiga version is somewhat superior, because it uses 1MB mem to store levels so you can walk up/down without loading, plus some minor other fx details are supposed to be better.

So it's like with DotC, being the lead platform is not always better.

I must say, ST being more efficient in 3D is quite a surprise to me. I always assumed that Amiga was more powerful on all fronts. I susppose it only applies to ST vs A500, not A1200 though?
Old 14 January 2021, 17:15   #229
roondar

Yes, I'm talking only about A500 vs ST here. The A1200 should be (much) faster at 3D than either the ST or STE - it has a 32 bit bus to memory and a faster CPU so it can push many more pixels. Not so much vs the Falcon.
Old 14 January 2021, 17:54   #230
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
I read that Amiga version is somewhat superior, because it uses 1MB mem to store levels so you can walk up/down without loading, plus some minor other fx details are supposed to be better.

So it's like with DotC, being the lead platform is not always better.

I must say, ST being more efficient in 3D is quite a surprise to me. I always assumed that Amiga was more powerful on all fronts. I susppose it only applies to ST vs A500, not A1200 though?
Oh, OK, didn't know that about DM.

Yeah, the ST, for brute force and clock speed, is slightly faster for 3D, but I'm sure the Amiga can use the Blitter to do a lot of the work, IF the 3D code is written to take advantage of it.
Old 14 January 2021, 18:02   #231
roondar

Yeah, but as it turns out that is quite tricky if you have multiple objects of multiple sizes. Apparently it works quite well to draw single big objects (such as that nearly fullscreen sub-pixel accurate rotating cube demo that was spread around a few years ago), but less so if you have many objects of various sizes.
Old 15 January 2021, 00:11   #232
Orcish75

Certainly for the vast majority of games the Amiga sound was a lot better, but for me, I think the sound in Defender of the Crown was better on the ST. It just made better use of the Yamaha chip compared to what the Paula was capable of. The intro is tinny and had poor sample selection in the Amiga version, The ST version just sounds meatier and fuller. (I'm playing both versions through a reasonable AVR system, not the piddly little speakers on the TV)

Platoon is another game where the soundtracks are quite similar, but the Amiga version is definitely meatier and more enjoyable.

The ST demo scene has put some reasonably good lipstick on the Yamaha pig, with some of the chip tunes sounding pretty decent considering it's limitations.
Old 15 January 2021, 00:47   #233
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
Yeah, but as it turns out that is quite tricky if you have multiple objects of multiple sizes. Apparently it works quite well to draw single big objects (such as that nearly fullscreen sub-pixel accurate rotating cube demo that was spread around a few years ago), but less so if you have many objects of various sizes.
I think the Amiga version of Frontier use the blitter... I'm looking where I saw that, it was in an interview of David Braben and he was saying IIRC that was an advantage for the A500 but not for the A1200. A "real" AGA version would have been faster.

EDIT : found where Braben was saying that. In the review of november 93 in the One P61. Not an interview but a quote.

Last edited by sokolovic; 15 January 2021 at 02:01.
Old 15 January 2021, 00:55   #234
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcish75 View Post
Certainly for the vast majority of games the Amiga sound was a lot better, but for me, I think the sound in Defender of the Crown was better on the ST. It just made better use of the Yamaha chip compared to what the Paula was capable of. The intro is tinny and had poor sample selection in the Amiga version, The ST version just sounds meatier and fuller. (I'm playing both versions through a reasonable AVR system, not the piddly little speakers on the TV)

Platoon is another game where the soundtracks are quite similar, but the Amiga version is definitely meatier and more enjoyable.

The ST demo scene has put some reasonably good lipstick on the Yamaha pig, with some of the chip tunes sounding pretty decent considering it's limitations.
Sorry, but in my humble estimation, Yamaha will never, EVER, sound as good as Paula. I really ought to make a separate thread on this one day, put the one-sided debate to rest once and for all.
Old 15 January 2021, 01:54   #235
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Sorry, but in my humble estimation, Yamaha will never, EVER, sound as good as Paula. I really ought to make a separate thread on this one day, put the one-sided debate to rest once and for all.
You'd be quite wrong about that, plenty of music on the ST sounds better than the Amiga version.
Old 15 January 2021, 02:05   #236
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Ok for the 2149. But for the YM2151, there's no fight with Paula. the YM2151 has absolutely fabulous musics that Paula just could not replicate (or you need an amiga with tons of memory).
Old 15 January 2021, 02:08   #237
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
I don't know if I mentioned it on this thread already, but I thought Shadow of the Beast on ST had a better music playback routine for the title tune. On the Amiga it sounds rather stilted, to me at least.

Yeah, not quite sure how you remembered that. David Whittaker directly sampled lots of the instruments for Amiga Beast from a Korg M1 Synthesiser, and I remember an advert by Korg at the time in the music press that linked Amiga Beast to their synthesiser, so they must have been pretty happy with the results.

The ST version is the one that suffers from lack of fadings on instruments, seeming to just cut, the sounds are muffled and its not a patch on the Amiga version.
Old 15 January 2021, 05:48   #238
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Ok for the 2149. But for the YM2151, there's no fight with Paula. the YM2151 has absolutely fabulous musics that Paula just could not replicate (or you need an amiga with tons of memory).
I mean the chip in the ST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Yeah, not quite sure how you remembered that. David Whittaker directly sampled lots of the instruments for Amiga Beast from a Korg M1 Synthesiser, and I remember an advert by Korg at the time in the music press that linked Amiga Beast to their synthesiser, so they must have been pretty happy with the results.

The ST version is the one that suffers from lack of fadings on instruments, seeming to just cut, the sounds are muffled and its not a patch on the Amiga version.
I'm not saying the samples are better on the ST, just the timing seems to be. That's how my ears perceived it, anyway.
Old 15 January 2021, 11:49   #239
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
I mean the chip in the ST.

I'm not saying the samples are better on the ST, just the timing seems to be. That's how my ears perceived it, anyway.
I dont see how the timing can be "better" when the Amiga version is the original.
Old 15 January 2021, 13:37   #240
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
I dont see how the timing can be "better" when the Amiga version is the original.
As I said, that's how I perceived it, like the playback routine wasn't hitting the precise beat of a metronome.