English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 06 December 2009, 15:22   #1
Iznougoud
Quite the odd one

Send a message via MSN to Iznougoud
Minor inconvenience (setting clock)

I removed the battery from my A2000 some time ago, and never bothered replacing it. Instead, I'm setting the time using time servers at bootup. However, it makes my "uptime" to go bonkers, unless I make a warm reboot once the time is set. For some reason, it uses the old value - which means that value must be read and stored somewhere during bootup, and I don't know where to look. This is an annoyance, that I really would like to get rid of (and I do set the time BEFORE I run - in this case Xopa). Any ideas, anyone?
Old 06 December 2009, 20:00   #2
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
time of last file crated by anychance
Old 07 December 2009, 00:37   #3
Iznougoud
Quite the odd one

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
time of last file crated by anychance
Hopefully not. And I don't think it is either, given uptime-values Xopa sets after a cold reboot. Could be worth a closer look just the same though, given I have no other options at the moment.

Edit: Nope. The time is approximately 9.5 years off. Which leaves us around the year of 2000. A clue of sorts. To what, I have no idea.

Last edited by Iznougoud; 07 December 2009 at 04:09. Reason: Additional info
Old 07 December 2009, 19:53   #4
zipper

Look at if it's the date the HD has been prepped (date of disk.info or something)
Old 07 December 2009, 21:39   #5
Jope
-

The boot disk's format time is indeed the default time if the machine's clock doesn't work.
Old 09 December 2009, 00:48   #6
Iznougoud
Quite the odd one

The plot thickens. The boot-HDD underwent a change of filesystem and a reformat no more than a couple of days ago, so I doubt it can be held responsible. Unless there is some other data on it, originating from factory settings.
Old 09 December 2009, 09:59   #7
thomas

The file system is responsible to set the system time. It depends on the file system and on the order in which partitions are mounted which time is used. Usually it's the last changed time of the first FFS partition which is mounted. The SetClock command in Startup-Sequence then reads the hardware clock and sets the system time accordingly. If the hardware clock has lost its time, the system date and time is set to 01-jan-1978 00:00. If no hardware clock is found the system date remains unchanged.
Old 09 December 2009, 11:27   #8
kriz

If you have it connected to the internet you can update automaticly after every boot..
Old 09 December 2009, 16:25   #9
Iznougoud
Quite the odd one

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
The file system is responsible to set the system time. It depends on the file system and on the order in which partitions are mounted which time is used. Usually it's the last changed time of the first FFS partition which is mounted. The SetClock command in Startup-Sequence then reads the hardware clock and sets the system time accordingly. If the hardware clock has lost its time, the system date and time is set to 01-jan-1978 00:00. If no hardware clock is found the system date remains unchanged.
Still, can't be the last change of my only FFS-partition, which was created not one week ago. Nor is it 78-01-01. And quite frankly, it doesn't matter all that much in my particular case. Question is, how do I make Xopa - or any other uptime-utility - read the correct time after a cold reboot? MiamiDX sets the time via an AREXX-script. Using time servers. And is supposedly started before Xopa. So where does Xopa get it's information on uptime?!

Then again, there may be no solution to this other than not powering off, or getting a new battery, but I have to admit; I'm slightly annoyed not knowing what's happening here