English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 18 April 2024, 15:26   #1
BarryB
Amigaholic

Judge Dredd - RAWDIC: File exceeds diskimage message?

Installing a CT RAW of Judge Dredd in WinUAE using the v1.1 WHDLoad and the message 'File exceeds diskimage' pops up after reading Disk 1 to track 112 in RAWDIC (V5 and v6) then asks for Disk 1 again?

Strangely, Disk 2 only has data to track 112, rest are unformatted! Disk 1 has data past track 112!

I've sent the KF dump to Denis just to chek the dump is OK or needs cleaning/re-dumping so waiting for his analysis but the CT RAW of Disk 1 loads in WinUAE, just won't install in WHDLoad!
Old 18 April 2024, 16:34   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Interesting there is no Mantis page for Judge Dredd. Try reporting it and upload the image to "The Zone"

https://whdload.de/mantis/main_page.php
Old 18 April 2024, 17:43   #3
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Interesting there is no Mantis page for Judge Dredd. Try reporting it and upload the image to "The Zone"

https://whdload.de/mantis/main_page.php
Once Denis has verified the dump is good I can then report the issue, it could be a bad dump or an alternate version!!

I've upload the CT RAW images from my dump to The Zone, I think it uses KMDos by Steve Snake!
Old 19 April 2024, 12:16   #4
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Ok, i'll go eating lunch, and i will zone back the game in IPF in the zone.

The reason behind all this is that this game use a format unsupported by Disk-analyse.

Judge Dredd use the Ronald Pieket-Weeserik format Type 3, (RPW3) (sync track $5122, preceded with 2 gap bytes).
Old 19 April 2024, 13:04   #5
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Ok, i'll go eating lunch, and i will zone back the game in IPF in the zone.

The reason behind all this is that this game use a format unsupported by Disk-analyse.

Judge Dredd use the Ronald Pieket-Weeserik format Type 3, (RPW3) (sync track $5122, preceded with 2 gap bytes).
Abaddon has taken a quick look at the dump too and made a decoder for it but not pushed it out yet!

RPW format is named as sales_curve in disk-utilities for St Dragon and SWIV, Ninja Warriors has it's own format, are there more RPW games?
Old 19 April 2024, 13:46   #6
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Abaddon has taken a quick look at the dump too and made a decoder for it but not pushed it out yet!

RPW format is named as sales_curve in disk-utilities for St Dragon and SWIV, Ninja Warriors has it's own format, are there more RPW games?
I think you listed the main ones.

EDIT : IPF zoned

Last edited by dlfrsilver; 19 April 2024 at 14:04.
Old 19 April 2024, 15:50   #7
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
I think you listed the main ones.

EDIT : IPF zoned
If there are only 3 then they could be lumped under the RPW format name in disk-utilities, not sure how much effort that would need or if it's even worth it!!

Thanks for IPF At least the dump was good enough to create them!! I'll try the IPF under WHDLoad and see if it installs, if not i'll report it on Mantis as per Alexh's suggestion!
Old 19 April 2024, 16:48   #8
Abaddon

Quote:

Looking at the track loader code for SWIV, St Dragon, and Judge Dredd. I would never have linked Dredd to the same format as the coding style is quite different and the track layout of Dredd is different. The only difference between SWIV and ST Dragon is the sync. Whereas, Dredd has a different sync, 2 byte gap, raw value 0xaa92 after the gap and then data. The data length is also slightly shorter.
Old 19 April 2024, 17:04   #9
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

So the consensus is this is a good dump but it's a different version to the one supported by the current WHDload slave?
Old 19 April 2024, 17:57   #10
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
So the consensus is this is a good dump but it's a different version to the one supported by the current WHDload slave?
Correct, Both Abaddon and Denis have created IPF's from my dump and both sets show the 'File Exceeds diskimage!' message and fail to install Disk 1 in WHDLoad!

Have reported it as a RAWDIC issue seeing as there is no Judge Dredd Mantis page!
Old 19 April 2024, 19:35   #11
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
Looking at the track loader code for SWIV, St Dragon, and Judge Dredd. I would never have linked Dredd to the same format as the coding style is quite different and the track layout of Dredd is different. The only difference between SWIV and ST Dragon is the sync. Whereas, Dredd has a different sync, 2 byte gap, raw value 0xaa92 after the gap and then data. The data length is also slightly shorter.
I don't know how SPS came up with their format names, unless they actually 'knew' it was Ron Pieket who coded the disk format for each game?
Old 19 April 2024, 21:43   #12
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
I don't know how SPS came up with their format names, unless they actually 'knew' it was Ron Pieket who coded the disk format for each game?
It's the case. I guess they had a talk or chat with Ron.
Old 19 April 2024, 22:38   #13
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
It's the case. I guess they had a talk or chat with Ron.
Codetapper actually interviewed Ron Pieket but no mention of Judge Dredd appeared in that interview: https://codetapper.com/amiga/intervi...eket-weeserik/
Old 19 April 2024, 23:58   #14
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Codetapper actually interviewed Ron Pieket but no mention of Judge Dredd appeared in that interview: https://codetapper.com/amiga/intervi...eket-weeserik/
Ron only talked on the games he worked on. The disk Mastering and the tools that comes with it are another subject.

Look for the DMA DOS system : made by DMA Design, used on shadow of the beast 3.

Last edited by dlfrsilver; 20 April 2024 at 10:58.
Old 20 April 2024, 00:34   #15
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Ron only talked on the game he worked on. The disk Mastering and the tools that comes with it are another subject.

Look for the DMA DOS system : made by DMA Design, used on shadow of the beast 3.
Yeah, I guess a lot of disk formats were used on games not directly coded by the original author!