English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 17 May 2022, 22:56   #1
Glen M

TF1230 ehide.device in startup-sequence, where am I going wrong?

So as the title suggests I'm coming against a bit of a problem here.

Just before jumping into modifying my ROMS to include EHIDE.DEVICE I thought what I'd do first is try to add it to my existing startup-sequence to simply access the TF1230s IDE but it keeps crashing the Amiga on boot.

My main HDD connected to the motherboards IDE is running workbench 3.9. The system roms are 3.1. At present there is nothing connected to the IDE of the TF1230. I've added the following line at the very top of the startup-sequence.

loadmodule >NIL: devs:ehide.device

This is followed by me also loading scsi.device.45.43

Unfortunately though the Amiga hangs each time with a guru 8000 0004. Adding a drive to the TF1230s IDE doesn't change anything it still hangs.

I should note that if I move the main HDD to the TF1230 (comment out the line in the startup-sequence), boot to a floppy disk to load ehide.device and reset the Amiga will boot fine off the hdd drive connected to the TF1230.

Does anyone have any suggestion as to why it doesn't work trying to load the driver as part of OS3.9 startup-sequence?

EDIT: for one final test I reconnected the hard drive to the motherboard IDE and tried to load the driver from floppy disk. It does this, resets then crashes as before.

Last edited by Glen M; 17 May 2022 at 23:02.
Old 17 May 2022, 23:12   #2
supaduper

You cant boot from it as you will still need a bootable device on the A1200 IDE, but then using your Loadmodule command it will if you set the boot priority higher for the TF IDE then it should boot, but you will need a boot device also on the A1200 IDE also, this why we put the ehide.device in a custom rom then you do not need a bootable device on the internal A1200 IDE as it will boot from the TF
its stops all the faffing about
Old 17 May 2022, 23:15   #3
Glen M

The issue is that loading the driver with the boot drive connected to the motherboard crashes the system.

I'm just concerned that adding it to the kickstart will equally crash the system if I'm trying to use the motherboards ide as the first boot device.
Old 17 May 2022, 23:21   #4
supaduper

Never had a problem, if you put the ehide.device in a custom rom then 100% it will boot from the TF IDE and you will not need anything on the A1200 IDE, its proven, obviously got to make sure your system is setup correctly
Old 17 May 2022, 23:26   #5
Glen M

Ok I'll push on with the ROMs and see how it goes.
Old 17 May 2022, 23:34   #6
supaduper

Here is a great ytube how to make a 1mb custom rom, it is for a A2000 but it is exactly the same for the A1200 1mb custom roms just ignore the last bit where he mucked up on selecting little endian in the settings at the end, you do not need that for the A1200 roms leave it as `Normal` and when making the 1mb rom select swapbyte and it will spit out two roms Hi and Lo ready to burn to eproms

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 18 May 2022, 08:58   #7
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
The issue is that loading the driver with the boot drive connected to the motherboard crashes the system.

Does the loadmodule command crash or does it crash after reboot?

A crash at boot time can mean that the boot partition is mounted but not accessible. Missing file system, outside first 4GB, something like this.
Old 18 May 2022, 10:04   #8
Glen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Does the loadmodule command crash or does it crash after reboot?

A crash at boot time can mean that the boot partition is mounted but not accessible. Missing file system, outside first 4GB, something like this.
The boot partition is 1GB

The crash occurs once ehide.device is loaded but only if the boot partition remains connected to the motherboard IDE.

If I don't load EHIDE the system boots as normal or if I load EHIDE with the boot partition connected to the TF1230 the system boots as normal.

Just to outline what I'm trying to achieve here.

My main HDD is an 80GB mechanical drive, this is split into 3 partitions (workbench DH0 - 1GB, WHDLoad DH1 - 30GB, Files DH2- 39GB). My intention was to leave this is as the main drive for the system connected to the motherboards IDE but to use the TF1230 IDE with a CF card as DH3 and have that solely for stuff that benefits from the faster transfer speeds, AGABlaster for example.

Its not the end of the world, I can just move the boot partition over to the TF1230s IDE and use the motherboard IDE with the mechanical drive for my WHDLoad and Files partitions only.