English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 10 June 2008, 03:42   #1
mfletcher
Bawbag.

I think my A4000D PSU has died. :(

So I received an 060 upgrade for my A4000 today and I figured I would try and install it. Initial install was fine... system booted up with card to workbench on floppy... but had to reseat hd drive as I had cabled it wrong ( wouldnt sit right in case ). When I tried I power on again, I get a black screen, with a loud clicking noise coming from the PSU.

At this point Im assumming the PSU is dead. If so, can anyone sell me a replacement A4000D PSU (preferably US voltage). Failing that, do you think its possible to get the PSU repaired?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 10 June 2008, 04:56   #2
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfletcher View Post
So I received an 060 upgrade for my A4000 today and I figured I would try and install it. Initial install was fine... system booted up with card to workbench on floppy... but had to reseat hd drive as I had cabled it wrong ( wouldnt sit right in case ). When I tried I power on again, I get a black screen, with a loud clicking noise coming from the PSU.

At this point Im assumming the PSU is dead. If so, can anyone sell me a replacement A4000D PSU (preferably US voltage). Failing that, do you think its possible to get the PSU repaired?

Thanks,

Mark
It is too easy to simple swap the old PSU for a regular AT/ATX PSU instead! Google "Ian Stedman Amiga" and when you find the Stedy's (an EAB member and a good m8, BTW) site you'll find directions on how fix/substitute your old PSU.

If you don't want to look, here is the site:
http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/amiga.html
Old 10 June 2008, 08:49   #3
alphonsus

Get the old PSU out of there in acse some of the capacitors leak. Not likely, but you never know.

amigakit sell an ATX to A4000 adaptor cable if you don't want to play yourself.

Clicky
Old 10 June 2008, 12:41   #4
mfletcher
Bawbag.

Re: The ATX adapter,

Does that mean I can install an ATX PSU in the case, or do I have to tower my A4000D?
Old 10 June 2008, 13:02   #5
mfletcher
Bawbag.

Correction: saw a thread by Keropi here where he tried an mATX PSU, but I dont think he had any success? http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=25070
Old 10 June 2008, 17:35   #6
chiark
Needs a life

Yep, you can make a small PSU fit in there - I got the cable from amigakit. The PicoPSU would definitely fit, as would other DC stuff or a small "normal" ATX PSU.

Just a thought - if you're getting a clicking that might suggest that there's a short and the PSU's throwing itself into protection. Double & triple check everything, particularly anything near a ground point such as the hard drive caddy against the daughterboard, the processor card against anything and... well, everything against everything
Old 10 June 2008, 19:33   #7
mfletcher
Bawbag.

Thanks for the info Chiark. I'll give it another look next week when I get back from vacation. When the PSU started clicking I didnt spend too much time with the system on just in case things went boom! Im going to take everything out except the mobo, cpu card and floppy and see if the clicking still happens.
Old 10 June 2008, 23:02   #8
chiark
Needs a life

No worries. Good luck! When my 4000 died I hoped like hell it was the PSU (hence buying the ATX adaptor), and removed everything from the case, stripping down to the bare bones outside of the case. Unfortunately, my warpengine had died . Balls.
Old 11 June 2008, 01:28   #9
mfletcher
Bawbag.

Hi

I disconnected the hd and cdrom, and made sure there were no shorts - still the same clicking noise. I finally removed the PSU from the case and tried powering up, and the clicking noise was still there. I have a replacement PSU sourced and it should be with me next week.

In the meantime, can anyone recommend any firms in N.America that repair Amiga PSU's? First person to mention Doomy, gets dragged into the street and shot.
Old 11 June 2008, 04:59   #10
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfletcher View Post
Hi

I disconnected the hd and cdrom, and made sure there were no shorts - still the same clicking noise. I finally removed the PSU from the case and tried powering up, and the clicking noise was still there. I have a replacement PSU sourced and it should be with me next week.

In the meantime, can anyone recommend any firms in N.America that repair Amiga PSU's? First person to mention Doomy, gets dragged into the street and shot.
Do you know George? If yes, shot him down!

What normally occurs in Amigas PSU's is the capacitors dries whit the ages and then carry the semiconductor parts of it. No cheaply repairs, I'm afraid.

Better stick with AT/ATX hack, but notice that the newest ATX (ATX2???) uses a different scheme to power itself, and that is useless for us Amigans.