English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 04 November 2020, 20:02   #1
Oloturia

Music in Monkey Island 2 Amiga Mystery

Hello everyone,
I just had some kind of "Mandela Effect" about the music in the Amiga version of MI2.

It seems that the majority of the people thinks that the Amiga version lacked music and iMuse.

ie:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=92109

I found many articles online stating that Amiga version lacked music, mainly the Woodtick themes. Every longplay on YouTube and all the rips of the OST lacked that music. I tried playing the game on a real Amiga500 with 2Mb and no music. Tried on FS-UAE, in Woodtick there was just silence.

BUT I clearly remembered music at the campfire after the opening sequence and in Woodtick, where the music slowly changed for every different scene, suggesting that iMuse technology was used.

I started to think that my mind created a false memory, when I found this video on YT:
[ Show youtube player ]

I asked my brother, he still has a tape where he recorded the audio from the Amiga, and... there is the Woodtick theme with all the variations and the campfire theme.

The only rational explanation I gave is that the version everyone is playing now is an early cracked version that lacked many features.

I still have the original disks, but 1) they are 11 and the chance that one of them is broken is very high 2) I don't have the tools to make the dump 3) I lost the copy protection wheel :\ (I found it online, but I don't know if it's the same for Amiga and PC, and the same for USA and IT version)
Old 04 November 2020, 22:10   #2
Konrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oloturia View Post
BUT I clearly remembered music at the campfire after the opening sequence and in Woodtick, where the music slowly changed for every different scene, suggesting that iMuse technology was used.
[...]
The only rational explanation I gave is that the version everyone is playing now is an early cracked version that lacked many features.
I just tried the IPF release, which is the unmodified, uncracked original. There's no music at the camp fire scene. And that's also what I remember.

Quote:
I started to think that my mind created a false memory, when I found this video on YT:
[ Show youtube player ]
I don't know which sources he used, but again, there's no music in this place in the Amiga version. He must have mistaken the tracks as Amiga versions.

Last edited by Konrad; 04 November 2020 at 22:21.
Old 04 November 2020, 23:31   #3
Cubemon
Recovering Amiga user

Quote:
[ Show youtube player ]
That video has the PC music played with FM sounds and with a soundfont or a sound module such as the MT-32. No Amiga audio.

The Amiga IS however capable of playing external MIDI sound sources, but I don't know if Monkey Island 2 supported that.
Old 05 November 2020, 02:12   #4
Oloturia

OK the YT tracks are not from Amiga but the "CD Version" (?)
[ Show youtube player ]

I listened to the tape. The tracks are a mix of Amiga and DOS version. I can't remember having the DOS version but... there is no other explanation.

So that's it, a false memory triggered by a wrong title on YT. No music for Amiga.
Old 05 November 2020, 02:55   #5
Cobe

When I recall "leg bone connected to the hip bone..." I even hear voices