English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 21 December 2015, 15:14   #1
ramonsmits

Is having more than two floppy drives conected bad for power supply?

So the last couple of months I tried to collect a number of disk drives. This because I wanted to max out my Amiga with 4 floppy drives as that was what I wished for 20 years ago :-)

The ultimate test was to run a 4 floppy game like Mortal Kombat and how awesome not to swap any floppies!

Last weekend I bought a SENATOR drive in that is as new in its box and it came with a manual which states:

"Warning: Having more than 2 drivers active requires an additional power supply. Not using an additional power supply will overload your Amiga power supply."

So that sort of worried me as I do not want my power brick to fail or to damage any circuitry because of the higher current to power all drives.

It this really an issue?

If so, then how to fix this as these drives do not have an additional power connector. Does this mean I have to open them and externalize the 4 pin connector and connect it to for example a regular PC power supply?
Old 21 December 2015, 15:59   #2
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Memory could also be a problem as each drive consumes a small part.

I guess it might depend on the power supply you already have. As I remember, some A500's had a beefy 60w supply, others the smaller one.

I don't think many people used more than 2 drives to be honest.

If you don't want to swap floppys then invest in a HardDrive and use WHDLoad or maybe even a Gotek/HXC floppy that just requires a push of a button to change disks.
Old 21 December 2015, 16:18   #3
idrougge

It's perfectly doable on a bigbox Amiga.
Old 22 December 2015, 09:14   #4
ramonsmits

Well, I had one additional drive to my 500 but because X-Copy showed all I wanted to have them.

And having a couple of spares isn't that bad :-)

I know using a HD is possible. I have a 1200 and bought a CF HD but still have to prep it. Quite some work... How easy would it be to just have a 4GB already prepped HD images somewhere instead of doing all those things.

Still, seeing all those disks lights dancing and hearing all those drive clicks is pretty cool :-)
Old 22 December 2015, 12:36   #5
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonsmits View Post

I know using a HD is possible. I have a 1200 and bought a CF HD but still have to prep it. Quite some work... How easy would it be to just have a 4GB already prepped HD images somewhere instead of doing all those things.
You can buy them with WB3.1 already Installed from Amigakit.
Old 22 December 2015, 12:56   #6
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonsmits View Post
How easy would it be to just have a 4GB already prepped HD images somewhere instead of doing all those things.
I made an image for my 4GB CF cards so it would be easy to set up a new one. I put it in The Zone. Use dd, WinImage or similar tool to write it to your card and it should be ready to use with two PFS3 partitions, one for booting, one for other stuff.

If your card is smaller than mine, then perhaps the second partition will not be mounted but it is very fast to try it out and you don't have to go through the HDToolBox hassle.

The image is very small since it only contains the partition table so will only take < 1s to write.

Edit: The image is empty so you have to install WB yourself.
Old 22 December 2015, 15:56   #7
rfancella

I have a Gotek (DF0), an A-1010 (DF1) and another Gotek (DF2). No power issues so far. But I am also using a home made ATX power supply adapter on a 350w ATX power supply. That might make a difference.
Old 22 December 2015, 17:17   #8
BarryB
Amigaholic

I have all 4 enabled in WinUAE, no issues with my 1200w PSU!
Old 22 December 2015, 20:36   #9
rfancella

Hi,
I would also be interested in the image file.
I have a 2gb CF that I would like to use, but I cannot find your image file in tha' Zone anywhere.
Where is it and what is it called?

Thanks,
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
I made an image for my 4GB CF cards so it would be easy to set up a new one. I put it in The Zone. Use dd, WinImage or similar tool to write it to your card and it should be ready to use with two PFS3 partitions, one for booting, one for other stuff.

If your card is smaller than mine, then perhaps the second partition will not be mounted but it is very fast to try it out and you don't have to go through the HDToolBox hassle.

The image is very small since it only contains the partition table so will only take < 1s to write.

Edit: The image is empty so you have to install WB yourself.
Old 22 December 2015, 20:42   #10
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

It's named '4GBCF_PFS3.zip'. It might not work for 2gb card.

I personally wouldn't write to the whole card at once (if that's what this image does) as I've heard that it marks all the cells as used (not recommended for CF cards).

Last edited by Arnie; 22 December 2015 at 21:13. Reason: a to as
Old 22 December 2015, 20:58   #11
rfancella

Yep, thar it is.
Thank you much.

Thanks,
Ron
Old 27 December 2015, 11:26   #12
xArtx

Is the power supply an issue at all when the drives are never active at once?
Unless copying from one disk to three others or something like that,
I can’t see four drives using much more current than a single one.
There could of course be something I’m not seeing.
Old 27 December 2015, 15:46   #13
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfancella View Post
I have a Gotek (DF0), an A-1010 (DF1) and another Gotek (DF2). No power issues so far. But I am also using a home made ATX power supply adapter on a 350w ATX power supply. That might make a difference.
The A1010 draws more current than a 3rd party extra drive, the goteks draw barely any current. Your setup would be fine even with the stock PSU.
Old 27 December 2015, 16:05   #14
Codetsu

if you have type 2 PSU no problem at all

http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/am..._supplies.html
Old 02 January 2016, 00:52   #15
ramonsmits

That is great info. I have a couple of large brick PSU's which differ in weight. Didn't expect a different output!

2.5A vs 4.5A is huge!

I have a watt meter but I guess that is not going to be able to tell differences between PSU's as it will also measure conversion loss?

Great link!
Old 02 January 2016, 01:19   #16
demolition
Unregistered User

A watt meter will measure the power consumption of the connected Amiga times the efficiency of the PSU, neither of which has anything to do with the maximum output current of the PSU.

It is quite easy to tell the difference - just look at the bottom of the PSU whether it says 5V - 4.5A or something else.
Old 02 January 2016, 10:53   #17
ramonsmits

@demolition correct, but I want to know how much current it uses without any drives attached and how much with all of them.

Probably an X-Copy to all four disks is the best test?
Old 06 January 2016, 16:07   #18
RizThomas

Quote:
That is great info. I have a couple of large brick PSU's which differ in weight. Didn't expect a different output!

2.5A vs 4.5A is huge!
You seem to have ( one of each) a A1200 and A500 PSUs. The A500 psu is higher rated one.