English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 08 October 2023, 17:53   #21
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boing-Ball View Post
Anyways.. I’m not sure what else the Pi5 could offer here apart from the even faster drive speeds, or if someone makes use of the PcIe connector.
Right now it's looking very likely that the Pi5 will bring absolutely nothing.
Old 08 October 2023, 21:11   #22
VladR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promilus View Post
@VladR - VideoCore inside RPi is 3D graphics module. There's open source driver available as well for Linux which might be a basis of AOS driver exposing actual capabilities of the chip for Amiga users. But... it won't write by itself. Someone has to do that. And it's not a top priority for Michal Schulz - emu68 creator. All we have now is rudimentary 2D and it certainly won't change anytime soon. Alternatively you might just write native ARM version of Wazp3D and run it on spare core(s) (as there are 3 which doesn't seem to see much of the use).
Oh, I see. But I thought VideoCore is only present in certain variants of RPi ? Is it present in each available form factor ? I'm sure it could be looked up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promilus View Post
But again - that won't be done unless someone actually does that. You don't see many ppl eager to do that in their spare time and for free. Right?
Of course not. It's a very, very hard sell.
I have, like, dozen projects I passionately want to finish. Moreso now, that there's RTG running at 2,000 MIPS under Emu68k.

I'm sure everyone else who has C++/3D skills is in the same boat.

Besides, why would somebody want to devote a huge chunk of their life just to please 3 and half people that would actually appreciate it and not bitch about "it's not real Amiga" for next half century?

That seems like quite a horrible waste of life, actually.

I always felt passionately about OpenGL on RTG, but even with Vampire V4, the 160 MIPS just doesn't cut it (for texturing), so it was in the back of my queue.

But 2,500+ MIPS is a whole different league which is making me repriotize working with my RTG-based flatshader (just need to replace few CGX calls with P96).
Old 08 October 2023, 21:31   #23
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladR View Post
You'll blow through 1000 MIPS just doing bilinear filtering on CPU at 640x480...
What a waste. Bilinear filtering generally looks stink anyway. I turn that crap off.
Old 09 October 2023, 15:30   #24
VladR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
What a waste. Bilinear filtering generally looks stink anyway. I turn that crap off.
Yep. I am just replaying Quake on my XBOX now and it looks so much better with filtering off at 4k res.

Unfortunately, it looks like they turn off mipmapping too, so it's tiny bit grainy in the distance. But still better than blurry.

Especially at 16-bit color modes, doing bilinear is just burning through the MIPS, when you have to shift in and out the bits.

It's fine, why you have a silicon do the job (like it's done with 3d cards), but it's a horrible waste of performance on a CPU...
Old 09 October 2023, 16:24   #25
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

If I had a Popcorn smiley to hand, I would have posted it ages ago with a lump on the side of the head too, but....

Quote:
Yep. I am just replaying Quake on my XBOX now and it looks so much better with filtering off at 4k res.
PS5, XBOX filtering Off @ 4K res.....

Wasn't aware an Amiga with a PiStorm could do that stuff!

Kin stands by exit door with foot jammed against the frame......

If a CM4 module can do a tad over 2600 MIPS in SysInfo for a 2.3GHZ overclock, all I wanna know (& prolly the whole of Pi Fans on EAB) is what a CM5 (if it released) can do when it's ass is overclocked.

Last edited by Kin Hell; 09 October 2023 at 16:33.
Old 10 October 2023, 02:32   #26
VladR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
PS5, XBOX filtering Off @ 4K res.....

Wasn't aware an Amiga with a PiStorm could do that stuff!
Actually, it's not that crazy of a notion - to have a playable game in 4k on RPi.

2 years ago, I ran my flatshader on Vampire V4 in 1920x1080. Full-screen redraw. Every single pixel. It still ran at more FPS than plenty games 30 yrs ago. Certainly would qualify as playable back then.

And that's ~160 MIPS (though, admittedly, with Vampire-level RAM bandwidth).

The current 2,600 MIPS is - what - about ~16x more (can't be arsed to alt-tab to calculator now) ?

Certainly more than enough for a full 4k res and probably approaching 15-20 fps.

Halve the number of pixels by making a racing game with half of screen taken by cockpit and you for sure have a playable 3D game on RPi at 4k.

It's not a textured Quake, sure - although I would hazard a guess that a non-textured Quake at that res would still look pretty neat.
Old 15 October 2023, 09:32   #27
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Actually, it's not that crazy of a notion - to have a playable game in 4k on RPi.

2 years ago, I ran my flatshader on Vampire V4 in 1920x1080. Full-screen redraw. Every single pixel. It still ran at more FPS than plenty games 30 yrs ago. Certainly would qualify as playable back then.

And that's ~160 MIPS (though, admittedly, with Vampire-level RAM bandwidth).

The current 2,600 MIPS is - what - about ~16x more (can't be arsed to alt-tab to calculator now) ?

Certainly more than enough for a full 4k res and probably approaching 15-20 fps.

Halve the number of pixels by making a racing game with half of screen taken by cockpit and you for sure have a playable 3D game on RPi at 4k.

It's not a textured Quake, sure - although I would hazard a guess that a non-textured Quake at that res would still look pretty neat.
I'm afraid I wouldn't be bothering @ 15-20 fps. That would not be very playable by any standards, but go ahead if it fills your boots.

Last edited by Kin Hell; 15 October 2023 at 09:39.
Old 16 October 2023, 13:21   #28
VladR

Quote:
I'm afraid I wouldn't be bothering @ 15-20 fps. That would not be very playable by any standards, but go ahead if it fills your boots.
That's why I have implemented resolution selector, so anybody can pick whichever resolution fills their boots

BTW, a 15 fps lock is way smoother than occasional 30 fps but falling down to 12.

It's the framedrops that kill the immersion.

If you design the game around the target framerate, it can be quite smooth in what is perceived as a low number.
Old 16 October 2023, 13:57   #29
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
That's why I have implemented resolution selector, so anybody can pick whichever resolution fills their boots

BTW, a 15 fps lock is way smoother than occasional 30 fps but falling down to 12.

It's the framedrops that kill the immersion.

If you design the game around the target framerate, it can be quite smooth in what is perceived as a low number.
Old 16 October 2023, 13:59   #30
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

There doesn't appear to be much in the way of a possible CM5 module yet?

Guessing it would need more interface pins for the carrier board.

Can anyone shed any light on this?
Old 16 October 2023, 14:21   #31
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Unfortunately, it looks like they turn off mipmapping too, so it's tiny bit grainy in the distance. But still better than blurry
MIP Mapping in Quake's software renderer isn't there to improve visual quality (although it clearly does, in terms of moire etc), it's there to speed up texturing. It can hurt performance just as much as (and sometimes more than) magnification filtering when not enabled. Keeping all your source texels close together is the goal here.
Old 16 October 2023, 15:34   #32
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

Quote:
There doesn't appear to be much in the way of a possible CM5 module yet?

Guessing it would need more interface pins for the carrier board.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

If the CM5 uses an onboard PCIe chip for GPIO, it can use the same pinout and connectors as the CM4 - of course the same latency problem will hold true there as for the Pi5.
Old 16 October 2023, 16:43   #33
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonique View Post
If the CM5 uses an onboard PCIe chip for GPIO, it can use the same pinout and connectors as the CM4 - of course the same latency problem will hold true there as for the Pi5.
Now that's sounding encouraging....