English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 22 October 2018, 02:12   #221
oscillik

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
k, guys. please read the thread, i have mentioned the fact that boards will be available in the UK, same as the cherry switches.

The keycaps are basically part of a group buy and AOTL can feed UK distributors which will keep the cost down so the prices will not be insane.

Remember, it doesn't matter where you buy them from, you will pay taxes, either in the form of duties or VAT. they will get you!
Thanks for clarifying (it was confusing as AotL said they were the "exclusive worldwide retailer")!

With regards to the VAT, duties, taxes thing...shipping something from the Americas to the UK involves import fees and duties that add up to more than simple VAT, so yes — we'll still pay VAT, but that will still be better than paying import fees and duties.
Old 22 October 2018, 02:37   #222
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscillik View Post
Thanks for clarifying (it was confusing as AotL said they were the "exclusive worldwide retailer")!

With regards to the VAT, duties, taxes thing...shipping something from the Americas (or anywhere else for that matter) to the UK involves import fees and duties that add up to more than simple VAT, so yes — we'll still pay VAT, but that will still be better than paying import fees and duties.
I am actually British, left UK when i was 23, the big difference is when you buy something in the UK the VAT is hidden in the price whereas whenever you buy from abroad it always hurts to see that extra 20% added on top and makes you feel bad.

Sometimes the customs people feel charitable and it skips through their processing fees. Postage fees from Canada are terrible and this is why i have pretty well given up selling things myself. shipping prices from USA worldwide are much fairer and TBH i hated telling people how much the costs were. So, for me it is better for the customer to buy from the USA and the UK (we will see what happens when Brexit comes into force and politicians start tit for tat crap)
Old 22 October 2018, 21:04   #223
Mick

Anything that goes through customs usually ends up in the hands of Royal Mail and they charge an extra "handling fee" which I believe is daylight robbery. It feels like we're punished for ordering from anywhere outside the EU.
Old 23 October 2018, 18:44   #224
Puggsy
Banned

Quote:
There is no frame required, the sandwiched plates provide a lot of strength
How is this being tested? because this is my main problem with what you have done here, especially at the asked price.

I see no way PCBs can withstand the constant hammering a keyboard is subject to. This would need some serious A-level industrial testing to be ascertained.
Old 23 October 2018, 19:00   #225
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puggsy View Post
How is this being tested? because this is my main problem with what you have done here, especially at the asked price.

I see no way PCBs can withstand the constant hammering a keyboard is subject to. This would need some serious A-level industrial testing to be ascertained.
I see no way that you would accept my answer with that line of thinking, if you can find better pricing and solution i am sure the community and myself would love to hear it
Old 23 October 2018, 19:16   #226
th4t1guy

@kipper2k
I see you have a4000 planned for the future. Would there be a benefit to using one of these vs an adapter (aside from adapters being near impossible to find it seems)?
Old 23 October 2018, 19:25   #227
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by th4t1guy View Post
@kipper2k
I see you have a4000 planned for the future. Would there be a benefit to using one of these vs an adapter (aside from adapters being near impossible to find it seems)?

Hi, ATM there is no reason not to use either or. The planned a400 will be a direct replacement so it should retain the same cable and fit in the casing. I will take it apart and see what the options are. Keeping it "stock" is probably the best option but it may be possible to reuse parts like just a simple membrane replacement option which will be much cheaper than a MX replacement
Old 23 October 2018, 21:09   #228
oscillik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puggsy View Post

Loads of PC mechanical switch keyboards (including ones manufactured by Cherry themselves, and Das Keyboard) have been made with no metal back or faceplate, and with the switches mounted directly onto the PCB.

They withstand normal use. They of course do not withstand gamers punching their keyboards in anger.
Old 23 October 2018, 21:29   #229
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscillik View Post
Loads of PC mechanical switch keyboards (including ones manufactured by Cherry themselves, and Das Keyboard) have been made with no metal back or faceplate, and with the switches mounted directly onto the PCB.

They withstand normal use. They of course do not withstand gamers punching their keyboards in anger.
This dual plate and pcb board is just as strong as the original and also has a slot for a centre support post for those that slam the keyboard but for 99.9% of us it is fine. there are 96 keys helping to support the keyboard, i have done testing of this and am not worried, once i hand out samples to the testers they can provide their own feedback
Old 23 October 2018, 21:46   #230
oscillik

Quote:
This dual plate and pcb board is just as strong as the original and also has a slot for a centre support post for those that slam the keyboard but for 99.9% of us it is fine. there are 96 keys helping to support the keyboard, i have done testing of this and am not worried, once i hand out samples to the testers they can provide their own feedback
As someone thoroughly entrenched in the PC keyboard enthusiast space (I think I've spent about £600 on keyboards so far…), I have absolutely no worries about your build quality.

I'm sure no-one here will be punching their Amigas. And if you do, we'll call the cops on you.
Old 23 October 2018, 22:45   #231
wobbly

will there be an upgrade kit for the pi/usb ? or is the pi going to have its own version ?
Old 23 October 2018, 22:58   #232
brett71

OK, I am definitely interested in a couple of A1200 keyboards, but have a couple of questions/concerns:

1. Are these only going to be available in kit form, i.e. the buyer must assemble, or will they be available pre-assembled? I know I saw something in this thread about them being sold as kits, but I have no soldering experience at all and would much prefer something I can just take out of the box and put straight into a machine.

2. In the A1200, the LED's are on a separate PCB. Just want to confirm that the A1200 version has space allowed for the original A1200 LED board or something like the BiFrost LED board. Does the LED PCB connect to the keyboard or direct to the motherboard on an A1200?

Thanks!
Old 23 October 2018, 23:05   #233
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett71 View Post
OK, I am definitely interested in a couple of A1200 keyboards, but have a couple of questions/concerns:

1. Are these only going to be available in kit form, i.e. the buyer must assemble, or will they be available pre-assembled? I know I saw something in this thread about them being sold as kits, but I have no soldering experience at all and would much prefer something I can just take out of the box and put straight into a machine.

2. In the A1200, the LED's are on a separate PCB. Just want to confirm that the A1200 version has space allowed for the original A1200 LED board or something like the BiFrost LED board. Does the LED PCB connect to the keyboard or direct to the motherboard on an A1200?

Thanks!
Hi, There will be people who will assemble them for a small fee, they are not difficult.

You will still use your original little LED board in the A1200, the board will allow use in either a500 or 1200 by means of a breakoff tab. If you are using an a1200 you will break off the tab allowing the a1200 LED board to be unobstructed. your a1200 LED board will connect to the existing connector on the motherboard
Old 24 October 2018, 00:34   #234
Beska

Put me down for an A1000 one.
Old 24 October 2018, 06:26   #235
wobbly

@kipper2k will there be an upgrade kit for the pi/usb ? or is the pi going to have its own version ? i would like to know so i can place my order thanks
Old 24 October 2018, 11:17   #236
sokolovic

New case + new cherry KB + Vampire standalone = new amiga.
I hope some Amiga store an all-in-one pack.

Great work anyway
Old 29 October 2018, 01:22   #237
lmimmfn

Thanks Kipper, much as i go on about open sourcing stuff i'm just really glad you made this happen( and i see now theres a black keys option for preorder too ), preordered.

This is pedantic, i know i can replace keys with whatever colour, but do you think its possible to have amiga keys in a different colour? im not that bothered but i would like to have the old dual colour scheme in black and red if at all possible.

Also on the wishlist is LED backlit keys , think of it, black case, keys and neon blue pulsing for the keyboard, haha

Last edited by lmimmfn; 29 October 2018 at 02:12.
Old 29 October 2018, 04:06   #238
adonay
active amiga 1200 user

Send a message via MSN to adonay
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmimmfn View Post
Thanks Kipper, much as i go on about open sourcing stuff i'm just really glad you made this happen( and i see now theres a black keys option for preorder too ), preordered.

This is pedantic, i know i can replace keys with whatever colour, but do you think its possible to have amiga keys in a different colour? im not that bothered but i would like to have the old dual colour scheme in black and red if at all possible.

Also on the wishlist is LED backlit keys , think of it, black case, keys and neon blue pulsing for the keyboard, haha
I would also love to have Led backlit keys
Old 04 November 2018, 17:08   #239
Clad

I'm interested for at least one, possibly more, but one for sure.
Old 04 November 2018, 17:38   #240
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Hi all,

Here are my Cherry MX keyboards for the Amiga, They will be sold by Amiga on the Lake and a distributor in the UK

All the info is here... These MX keyboards are designed as a total drop in keyboard replacement, not just part of it

http://www.kipper2k.com/cherrymx/cherrymx.html
Finding a supplier that can match the Amiga keyboard key sizes was some luck?