English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 14 April 2021, 05:39   #1081
gdonner
Ancient Amiga User

Quote:
Originally Posted by btp View Post
Really wonderful to hear that the development team has respected the heritage of the OS and Commodore's original vision for its evolution.

I'm very excited for this release!
Indeed! 3.2 is very nice--many substantial practical improvements, numerous solid bug fixes, and feels much snappier/more responsive than 3.1.4; well worth the upgrade when it's released.

Incidentally, if anyone has a color or better quality copy of the DevCon 93 notes ("Amiga User Interface Directions" in particular w/Addendum) than already available online, I'd love to get a copy. A while ago on eBay, someone had a physical copy of the notes for sale, but they were asking a bit more than I was willing to pay. :-|

Last edited by gdonner; 14 April 2021 at 06:00.
Old 14 April 2021, 18:44   #1082
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdonner View Post
Indeed! 3.2 is very nice--many substantial practical improvements, numerous solid bug fixes, and feels much snappier/more responsive than 3.1.4; well worth the upgrade when it's released.

8><---
That moment when you realize you have 11 Amigas that could all use the new ROMs ;-)
Old 14 April 2021, 19:44   #1083
gdonner
Ancient Amiga User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
That moment when you realize you have 11 Amigas that could all use the new ROMs ;-)
Oy vey! Two Amigas are enough for me (A3000 and A4000), but I'm learning that it's not uncommon for many Amiga owners to have a lot more in their possession. The most I've personally heard of is 17..!
Old 15 April 2021, 09:53   #1084
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

I have two machines, both of which are close to full restoration. I doubt I will get anymore. The effort and cost was fun, but not again. Running FPGA or emulation versions of 3.2 will be in my long term future.
Old 19 April 2021, 16:59   #1085
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

Will 3.2 support separate font/colour for icon text on the workbench itself separate from workbench windows? My guess is not, but I'd love that down the road so I can use dark background pictures along with lighter windows and still maintain good contrast for the icon text in each.
Old 19 April 2021, 19:11   #1086
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldacid View Post
Will 3.2 support separate font/colour for icon text on the workbench itself separate from workbench windows? My guess is not, but I'd love that down the road so I can use dark background pictures along with lighter windows and still maintain good contrast for the icon text in each.
It wont but it is indeed a good idea down the road
Old 19 April 2021, 20:12   #1087
jdb78

You people make me crave to get my Amiga up and running again. It is almost like back then when I bought my first OS 3.1 and started exploring all the new features. I can't wait to get my hands on OS3.2. I really appreciate all your hard work you put into this aged system.
Old 20 April 2021, 10:29   #1088
Laupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb78 View Post
You people make me crave to get my Amiga up and running again. It is almost like back then when I bought my first OS 3.1 and started exploring all the new features. I can't wait to get my hands on OS3.2. I really appreciate all your hard work you put into this aged system.
Why would anyone have an Amiga that isn't up and running?
Old 20 April 2021, 23:52   #1089
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb78 View Post
Putting a physical 3.2 ROM into your real Amiga is more fun than copying rom files to the WinUAE folder ;-)
Old 21 April 2021, 07:53   #1090
klx300r

Quote:
Putting a physical 3.2 ROM into your real Amiga is more fun than copying rom files to the WinUAE folder ;-)
true but not so much fun taking apart your tower with Mediator to get to the roms eh
Old 21 April 2021, 09:00   #1091
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Was there anything done on the topic of theming and maneuvering workbench folders?
That whole palette management and how windows look like leaves me scratching my head often enough.
Also it's tiresome to open up all these new windows all the times. A simple 'up' or 'back' gadget would be all I want.
Old 21 April 2021, 15:27   #1092
amipal

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
true but not so much fun taking apart your tower with Mediator to get to the roms eh
Oh dear lord, don't remind me... I've got a FastATA in mine too!
Old 06 May 2021, 13:41   #1093
Greyspirit

I can't wait. 55 pages of discussion this far took a while to read. Got a pair of A500's at present. Run my BBS using WinUAE to reduce wear and tear on physical machines which are better suited to Backing up Floppies.
Was hoping for Arexx to be updated a little to add functions specified in the REXX standard. I can't do assembly so unfortunately I can't help with it.
What I can do is request better documentation on Arexx libs and better (more complete) examples for writing them.

ps. don't suppose someone could throw together a cli based rlogin client (std in/out)? Looks like nobody ever did one and I don't know enough C/C++ to figure out how to work around fork() in BSD 4.2/4.3 source or to do one from scratch myself.
Old 06 May 2021, 20:44   #1094
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyspirit View Post
I can't wait. 55 pages of discussion this far took a while to read. Got a pair of A500's at present. Run my BBS using WinUAE to reduce wear and tear on physical machines which are better suited to Backing up Floppies.
Was hoping for Arexx to be updated a little to add functions specified in the REXX standard. I can't do assembly so unfortunately I can't help with it.
What I can do is request better documentation on Arexx libs and better (more complete) examples for writing them.
What functions are you thinking of specifically, and what documentation are you lacking?
Old 06 May 2021, 21:00   #1095
mnemo
MTN/SPT

Quote:
I'd just copy the SuperKickstart version to LIBS:. ;-)
Old 07 May 2021, 02:45   #1096
Greyspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by boemann View Post
What functions are you thinking of specifically, and what documentation are you lacking?
two functions present in later REXX versions right off top of my head along with worked out subs to implement them but would be good to have out of the box. Thinking there were others but I'm brain fried tonight.

b2x: return c2x(b2c(arg(1)))
x2b: return c2b(x2c(arg(1)))

In regards to the documentation, I've found the instructions for writing Arexx libs in the NDK to be very hard to follow and very terse. If it could be expounded on with more examples it would help greatly as I tend to need examples. Other than that, I haven't been able to find source for any other Rexx library to compare/study.
I was able to translate Telengard from C64 basic to Arexx for my bbs but I can't figure out how to do a library :/
Old 07 May 2021, 15:42   #1097
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
two functions present in later REXX versions right off top of my head/
Entered into our wishlist - if it is at all possible to modify the arexx is far more questionable

Quote:
In regards to the documentation, I've found the instructions for writing Arexx libs in the NDK to be very hard to follow and very terse./
I've noted it down as well
Old 07 May 2021, 20:37   #1098
kamelito
Zone Friend

A doc about finding bugs in an application would be nice.
Tools to use, how to find the culprit using stack traces etc. Something like Grim reaper would be nice with a way to disassemble the program that crashed...
I guess Thor tools and libraries could be used with CBM ones I guess.
Old 08 May 2021, 00:23   #1099
Pyromania

Is AmigaOS 3.2 shipping this weekend?
Old 08 May 2021, 18:22   #1100
PeterK

Who knows?

... but supposed that Hyperion is a moon of the planet Saturn then shipping will take a while ...