English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 23 January 2012, 22:10   #1
moora

PCMCIA Memory Issues

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me....

I've got an A600 with an additional 1MB Chip and a 2MB PCMCIA memory card. The card was working fine... until a few weeks ago when it started to give me problems.

Basically, it seems to be OK when starting up (WB recognises the additional memory and actually uses some of it). However, when the Amiga tries to access anything over 1MB on the PCMCIA memory (e.g. loading any large program, WHDLoad games etc) the Amiga locks up, resets and then gives a Software Error warning.

Any ideas what the problem can be? Is it a duff PCMCIA memory card or is there something else? I've also tried with a new WB install and I get the same results. Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks in advance

Moora

Old 23 January 2012, 22:12   #2
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Do you have any bent pins on PCMCIA connector?
Old 23 January 2012, 22:18   #3
prowler
Global Moderator

There is a tool for use with PCMCIA SRAM cards called CardPrep (IIRC).

It's used for formatting the card as a RAMDisk. I'm not sure if it's possible, so I'm only guessing, but maybe your card has been half-formatted as a RAMDisk?
Old 23 January 2012, 22:28   #4
moora

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
There is a tool for use with PCMCIA SRAM cards called CardPrep (IIRC).

It's used for formatting the card as a RAMDisk. I'm not sure if it's possible, so I'm only guessing, but maybe your card has been half-formatted as a RAMDisk?
Thanks- I tried that but it came back and said "card is already in use as system RAM", which I take it means that it thinks that the memory is OK...

Old 23 January 2012, 22:48   #5
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moora View Post
Thanks- I tried that but it came back and said "card is already in use as system RAM", which I take it means that it thinks that the memory is OK...
Hmm... I presume that the card is supplied configured for use as system RAM by default. I wonder, then, how CardPrep is ever used to prepare it for use as a RAMDisk.. ?

Edit:
Quote:
You can use PrepCard to prepare cards that are new (unformatted) or that have been previously prepared as disk or RAM.
  1. Select the appropriate gadget, either Prepare as DISK or Prepare as System RAM. A warning requester appears, reminding you that any information currently on the card will be erased if you continue.
  2. Select Continue to prepare the card or Cancel to return to the PrepCard window. Preparation takes only a few seconds.
  3. Select Quit to exit when you are finished with PrepCard. An icon for a card you have prepared as a disk immediately appears, labeled Empty.
Try running PrepCard and choose Prepare as Disk. What size disk does it create? Is it the full 2MB, or only 1MB? If it's 2MB, what happens when you run PrepCard again and select Prepare as System RAM? Do you get the full 2MB now?

Last edited by prowler; 23 January 2012 at 23:59.
Old 25 January 2012, 00:06   #6
moora

Thanks for all the help- I've used PrepCard to change the card (through advanced settings) as 2 x 512K banks, meaning it's now saying it's 1MB in size. I'm not having any problems with it when it's set to 1MB (although it did work as 2MB). I'm tempted to try to change it to a storage device then turn it back to memory... but if I'm honest, I'm a bit worried that it won't work. And 1MB is better than 0MB... do you think it would be OK to change it to a storage device and then back again?

Old 25 January 2012, 00:22   #7
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moora View Post
I'm tempted to try to change it to a storage device then turn it back to memory... but if I'm honest, I'm a bit worried that it won't work. And 1MB is better than 0MB... do you think it would be OK to change it to a storage device and then back again?
That's effectively what I suggested above. I don't see what harm it can do. The change is supported in both directions: RAM to DISK and DISK to RAM. So let's see what happens...
Old 25 January 2012, 09:30   #8
mikele

hey Moora, what's the brand and model of this card?
Old 25 January 2012, 18:59   #9
moora

thanks for all the help - I prep'd the card as a disk (it said it had 2MB available), rebooted and it recognised it. I didn't format it, as I was a bit concerned there may be issues...

Anyway, I then ram prep'd it back to auto settings and it recognised that it had 2MB of memory available. However, running any programs over 1MB caused it to crash as before. Finally, I set it back to 2x 512KB memory banks and it works fine- I did try 3x512KB and it has the exact same problem as when it's set to 2MB.... very strange.

The make and model? I'm not sure as the label is missing- I think it was an ALLESUS card, although I may be wrong. The seller on ebay said it was...